Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The New World ---> Tentative release on March or April of extended version

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
I don't think this is for everyone, however. Two people next to me left half way through and a couple in front of me were talking/joking through much of it and left in a hurry as soon as the movie was about to end. I sat through the credits and when the lights came up I found out I was the last one left... To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.

Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie, I don’t even pay attention to what people around me are doing (unless they are making noise or something). If I see someone get up, I just assume they’re going to the concession stand or the restroom.

That said- I received this movie yesterday through Netflix, I’m looking forward to watching sometime this weekend.
Old 05-19-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to answer your question filmfreak...yes, people walk out of movies all the time. The New World is perfect evidence. I thought the movie was an incredible visual masterpiece, but half the theater I was with didn't think so and roughly half left during the film. Granted, I went to like a 10:45PM showing so it can be a tough film for some people to watch later at night, but I still don't think I've ever seen so many people walk out of a movie before. Maybe they thought there was going to be more action than the two or so action sequences the film contained? Who knows, but I sure liked it.

I still haven't grabbed the DVD, but I'm really curious to check out an extended version of the film. Maybe I'll just hold off on buying the first release for a while...
Old 05-19-06, 07:34 PM

People walked out of the Aristocrats. Almost become publicity for the movie.
Old 05-19-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by filmfreak
Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie, I don’t even pay attention to what people around me are doing (unless they are making noise or something). If I see someone get up, I just assume they’re going to the concession stand or the restroom.
I saw about six or eight people walk out of a screening of Waking Life in Greenwich Village.

DJ
Old 05-20-06, 12:43 AM

Most walk-outs witnessed by me? A Sunday afternoon showing of "Moulin Rouge". A half-empty auditorium ended up about a quarter full by the end. I think the average age of the walk-outs was 65. Guess they thought they were finally going to see an old-school musical again. IIRC, the movie was hyped as the grand return of the movie musical. Hmph. Not what they had in mind!
Old 05-20-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always get the same age range (65+) walking out of movies. Mostly foreign ones. It seems to me that they don't do any kind of reading about the film before putting out the cash to go.
Old 05-20-06, 12:48 PM

You just probably "Don't Understand" it..
Old 05-20-06, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by xage
You just probably "Don't Understand" it..
I love how you're seeking out every forum I've posted in order to follow up with a vindictive comment. Wow..that BB question really upset you huh?
Old 05-20-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Keith Uhlich wrote about some of the differences between the two cuts here: http://mattzollerseitz.blogspot.com/

Scroll down to the May 14 entry.
Old 05-20-06, 02:20 PM

So, from that blog description, it seems that the "extended" cut is not just a longer version. But the two are really edited differently, with some things in the shorter theatrical that aren't in the longer version.
Old 05-20-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do people actually walk out of movies? I’ve noticed that people make this comment all the time, I have never seen anyone walk out of a movie
Saw this for the first time a little over a week ago when I went to see L'Enfant. I don't think that the film was what the couple had expected. I liked it, though. It was like a French Gus Van Sant film.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 05-22-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, back on topic. Is this coming out on DVD or should I just buy the version that is out now?
Old 09-12-06, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody know what is exclusive about the Best Buy disc here...
Old 09-12-06, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
anybody know what is exclusive about the Best Buy disc here...
The Best Buy disc just has different cover packaging.

Best Buy:

Regular:
Old 09-12-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as i know, the best buy exclsuive does have the original artwork but with a slipcase of the first pic.i wonder if i can find any of these left..anyone wants to sell his bestbuy exclusive or found it somewhere over amazon marketplace or ebay?
Old 09-12-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by animatedude
as i know, the best buy exclsuive does have the original artwork but with a slipcase of the first pic.i wonder if i can find any of these left..anyone wants to sell his bestbuy exclusive or found it somewhere over amazon marketplace or ebay?
This BB exclusive is on sale as part of a 2 for $20 deal which can be seen in my Best Buy thread in the Bargains forum. The thread to look for is 9/17 - 9/23/06
Old 09-13-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so its just a slipcover....disc is exactly the same.... bummer
Old 09-13-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I finally bought this movie and have watched it 3 times already. It's probably one of my favorite movies of recent years and will gladly double dip on an extended version. That's all I wanted to say.