Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The New World ---> Tentative release on March or April of extended version

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Titanic was an amazing achievement. A universally hated movie doesn't earn at least $20 million for 12 STRAIGHT WEEKS. It just doesn't happen. No other film will ever beat that. Not to mention 18 straight weeks earning at least $11 million. That also won't be accomplished again. Let's not forget 11 Oscar wins.

Those of you who hate the movie are in the extreme minority. This movie was a mega-huge success. That's fact.
Old 03-01-06, 07:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I expected to see 2 DVD releases of this, so no real surprise for me.

I'll wait for the extended cut.
Old 03-01-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Titanic was an amazing achievement. A universally hated movie doesn't earn at least $20 million for 12 STRAIGHT WEEKS. It just doesn't happen. No other film will ever beat that. Not to mention 18 straight weeks earning at least $11 million. That also won't be accomplished again. Let's not forget 11 Oscar wins.

Those of you who hate the movie are in the extreme minority. This movie was a mega-huge success. That's fact.
What?!!? We all know it was teenage girls that propelled the Titanic box office.

Last edited by ianholm; 03-01-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-01-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ianholm
What?!!? We all know it was teenage girls that propelled the Titanic box office.
You forgot to put a smiley after that so we could tell you were joking =>
Old 03-01-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops...smiley added
Old 03-01-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use to dislike Titanic; but I bought the 3 disc set so I can see it in WS and SS and wow was it awesome. I really like the movie now. Except that old bitch, I wish I coulda thrown her over board.

Oh and the movie is still tons better than TRL
Old 03-01-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why has this turned into one Titanic threadcrap after another?
Old 03-01-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Why has this turned into one Titanic threadcrap after another?
half my fault (maybe not universally hated, but i know there are many who say its not that great), and the fact that the cover art mentions that the film is similar to titanic when its not.
Old 03-02-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Babylab
I agree Badlands deserve a special edition. Same goes with Days of Heaven. Criterion where are you ?
Unfortunately, Warner Bros. (Badlands) and Paramount (Days of Heaven) aren't Criterion-friendly studios, so I doubt if we'll ever see Criterions of those two. Not sure there's much "special edition" footage available for either film, either, especially since Malick doesn't do commentaries. I'd love to see a better transfer of Badlands, though - it desperately needs one. The Thin Red Line, on the other hand, has a ton of footage cut - I'd like to see Fox take some initiative there, and put something together.

I'll be buying The New World day-of-release - I could really care less about the cover. Great flick.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 03-02-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll pass until Malick releases his edit of it.
Old 03-02-06, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Not sure there's much "special edition" footage available for either film, either, especially since Malick doesn't do commentaries. I'd love to see a better transfer of Badlands, though
Hmmm let's see... Warner could do something with Badlands at least.
I'd like to hear a Martin Sheen commentary. He always seems to have but fond memories for this film in interviews.
There's a documentary out there - "Rosy Fingered Dawn : a Film on Terrence Malick". The Badlands region 2 dvd also has a small feature called "Absence of Malick". Would be all good for a SE.
In the best of all worlds, Malick's early short films would make it to the DVD too.
But yeah of course, most importantly would be a remastered version of the film itself...

cheers!
Old 03-02-06, 02:13 PM

Does anyone know if the future extended release might also contain the US theatrical cut? I'm very eager to see more of Malick's Virginia, particularly what seems like a large gap of Jamestown scenes while Smith is with the "naturals" (hopefully there is more story here, I wanted to see more of David Thewlis). However, I absolutely loved the pacing and poetic flow of the cut I saw, so I actually wouldn't mind double dipping on this for an extended version. If it is going to be released like Sin City, however, I'd like to know in advance so I can just wait and have both cuts in one set.
Old 03-08-06, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raffurar
I absolutely loved the pacing and poetic flow of the cut I saw, so I actually wouldn't mind double dipping on this for an extended version.
I finally saw this last night. Throughout the movie, I had the impression that this was pure poetry transferred to the screen. Now, if someone had described that to me before going in I wouldn't have expected to like it... But from start to finish this was the most beautifully shot film I think I've ever seen. I'm supprised it didn't win the Cinematography award. I think the visuals and sounds perfectly capture the feeling of what it must have been like for the English landing in the New World.

I don't think this is for everyone, however. Two people next to me left half way through and a couple in front of me were talking/joking through much of it and left in a hurry as soon as the movie was about to end. I sat through the credits and when the lights came up I found out I was the last one left... To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.

Hopefully, this is released with the theatrical print and score (I liked the score-- I know some other's didn't) since that is the version I saw first. It might be nice to pick up an extended version later, too, but I definitely would want the theatrical version.
Old 03-08-06, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

how can one hate titanic. everything was so good. anywayz still be interested in this one and hope it remains the same theatrical release.
Old 03-08-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, just so I'm clear... there's been no announcement of an extended cut DVD, but the theatrical cut DVD is coming out May 9? Is that about the extent of what we know?
Old 03-08-06, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
So, just so I'm clear... there's been no announcement of an extended cut DVD, but the theatrical cut DVD is coming out May 9? Is that about the extent of what we know?
you are correct.

the extended cut is so far only a rumour.
Old 03-08-06, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
I'm supprised it didn't win the Cinematography award. I think the visuals and sounds perfectly capture the feeling of what it must have been like for the English landing in the New World.
I wholeheartedly agree. I haven't seen Geisha yet (I believe it won), but I can't remember the last time I've seen a movie this beautiful; two in one year? I guess we might be lucky, then.

I don't think this is for everyone, however.
Yeah, this was one of the few movies I've seen in theaters by myself in some time, and even though I unabashedly love it, I don't know that I'll be rushing to have my girlfriend watch it with me.

To be honest, I think it was long enough-- I'm not sure how an extended version would play out.
I, too, think it was long enough, but I know there was a lot more to it, and I'm very curious. However, I feel that watching a chunk of deleted scenes is a cheap alternative to the experience of watching a different version of the film. There will be a depth, and a flow (or lack of one), that will both heighten what the material was, and give insight into the making of the film. I just hope that we learn early on how this extended version will be handled.
Old 03-08-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully, this is released with the theatrical print and score (I liked the score-- I know some other's didn't) since that is the version I saw first.
I haven't seen this film yet, but I love the score and was angered to hear that Malick replaced it with Classical source music... Stupid.
Old 04-13-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe we'll get a Scratch 'n Sniff card with the DVD:

http://dwb.newsobserver.com/24hour/w...12037080c.html
Old 04-13-06, 10:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I haven't seen this film yet, but I love the score and was angered to hear that Malick replaced it with Classical source music... Stupid.
who did the original score?
Old 04-13-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

James Horner.
Old 04-14-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the score was a high point in the film. Although the piano segments were out of place somewhat.

The final orchestral build-up brought tears to my eyes.
Old 04-14-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know the entire history, so I may be speaking out of my butt, but as I understand it, after that initial release, Malick was basically editing as long as he possibly could to trim it down some more. It seems likely, to me, that there wasn't time to record an entirely new score, and most composers would be extremely against the idea of somebody coming and trimming down their score to fit a new edit of the movie. If the cut changes, the music should be re-written ... maybe not 100% from scratch, but in some cases, that's the only way to do it.

That said, I liked the music in the cut I saw (the shorter theatrical cut).
Old 04-14-06, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I don't know the entire history, so I may be speaking out of my butt, but as I understand it, after that initial release, Malick was basically editing as long as he possibly could to trim it down some more. It seems likely, to me, that there wasn't time to record an entirely new score, and most composers would be extremely against the idea of somebody coming and trimming down their score to fit a new edit of the movie. If the cut changes, the music should be re-written ... maybe not 100% from scratch, but in some cases, that's the only way to do it.

That said, I liked the music in the cut I saw (the shorter theatrical cut).
Actually this happens all the time, more and more these days as computer editing and effects sequences finished up to the last minute leave many films finished only days before release (Star Wars is a prime example here). But even in simple drama films, scores get edited, looped, and tracked (repeated segments or music actually intended for different parts of the film) quite often. I also believe the longer cut of the film shown for oscar consideration had the same classical pieces used and the same Horner score excised as the theatrical cut. This practice seems to be familiar territory for Malick, for I believe original score was cut in favor of classical selections in The Thin Red Line as well; and there is no better example than Alex North's entire score cut from 2001: A Space Oddysey in favor of the reknowned orchestral works eternally associated with that film. Perhaps it was Malick's intention all along, but for good measure had Horner compose score for these parts of the film just to see if some better audio/visual relationship could be created. Personally, I am a lover of film scores through and through; however, I left the theater haunted by the use of Wagner's music, not Horner's pieces.
Old 05-19-06, 03:14 PM
Banned

Davisdvd.com is reporting a it is possible that the extende cut of The New World could be released on DVD. More info here:
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.