Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Here's my amazon customer review of Universal's defective DVDs.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Here's my amazon customer review of Universal's defective DVDs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bela Lugosi Collection

I've owned the Bela Lugosi Collection since September 2005, the date of its release. I never got around to playing the last film on that double-sided DVD, Black Friday (1940) until last night.

The film is unplayable because of multiple fine scratches on the B side (that is, the side marked "A"). I honestly believed that I might have done this myself so I tried to repair the scratches with a CD repair kit. It didn't improve.

This morning I bought a second set from the store where I bought the first set (Bay Street Video, in Toronto). I figured it was worth it to finally see a film by Albert Lewin who also directed The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945).

I played the film again and encountered the same problem. On close inspection the disc has a deep scratch on its outer edge. I can take back the set to the store and get my money back as I still have the receipt from this morning. But what about the three-year old set? I doubt if they will give me my money back for it three years down the line and without a receipt.

Last edited by baracine; 10-26-08 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: toothpaste.

Try polishing your disc with (pasty, not gel) toothpaste. Wet the disc (with filtered water, if available), and apply a small amount of toothpaste to the most obviously scratched area. Then, rub it around in circles with your finger (assuming you don't have things on your fingers that will scratch the discs--e.g., avoid letting your nails contact the disc). Rinse it with water, and rub the toothpaste off in radial motions from the center out to the edge. Air dry it, or towel it off with something that won't scratch it further (again, wiping from the center out).

I have never had this fail--from discs that were really badly scratched to those on which I couldn't actually see any scratches, but that suffered from freezes, time-jumps, pixelating, etc.. Specifically, this has worked on my Universal Abbott and Costello V1 disc 1.
Old 10-26-08, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheato
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: toothpaste.

Try polishing your disc with (pasty, not gel) toothpaste. Wet the disc (with filtered water, if available), and apply a small amount of toothpaste to the most obviously scratched area. Then, rub it around in circles with your finger (assuming you don't have things on your fingers that will scratch the discs--e.g., avoid letting your nails contact the disc). Rinse it with water, and rub the toothpaste off in radial motions from the center out to the edge. Air dry it, or towel it off with something that won't scratch it further (again, wiping from the center out).

I have never had this fail--from discs that were really badly scratched to those on which I couldn't actually see any scratches, but that suffered from freezes, time-jumps, pixelating, etc.. Specifically, this has worked on my Universal Abbott and Costello V1 disc 1.
I've just tried it on the second disc I bought. If anything, it made matters worse. These discs are double-sided and double-layered, which means that each layer is even thinner than in other discs so that any attempt to repair the surface affects the underlying layer. The disc also has areas where the protective coating seems to be missing. Typical shoddy workmanship.

Last edited by baracine; 10-26-08 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 05:16 PM

It's a defective disc, no amount of resurfacing will get it to work properly. Your best bet is to try to contact someone at Universal for a replacement disc. I dealt with Universal by email a couple of years ago, and they were actually quite nice about it. However, key is getting a good CSR, and that is more or less luck. I believe Universal has abandoned the dual sided/dual layer discs since all of the problems they have created over the years.
Old 10-26-08, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerryKILL
It's a defective disc, no amount of resurfacing will get it to work properly. Your best bet is to try to contact someone at Universal for a replacement disc. I dealt with Universal by email a couple of years ago, and they were actually quite nice about it. However, key is getting a good CSR, and that is more or less luck. I believe Universal has abandoned the dual sided/dual layer discs since all of the problems they have created over the years.
I am totally screwed. The Universal replacement program only ships to US addresses.
Old 10-27-08, 06:21 AM
Suspended

I found a link to a replacement program for Universal discs purchased in Canada: http://www.udvd.ca/en/faq/index.cfm