DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Hitchcock Criterion Re-Release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/454191-hitchcock-criterion-re-release.html)

kevin75 01-30-06 09:18 PM

Hitchcock Criterion Re-Release?

does anyone know if criterion is planning any re-release(s) of the hitchcock titles that were in the wrong men and notorious women boxset? those would be rebecca, the 39 steps, notorious, the lady vanishes, and spellbound.

dx23 01-30-06 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
does anyone know if criterion is planning any re-release(s) of the hitchcock titles that were in the wrong men and notorious women boxset? those would be rebecca, the 39 steps, notorious, the lady vanishes, and spellbound.

39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes are still in print by Criterion and you can find them individually. Criterion lost the rights to the other 3 films of the set and MGM had the rights and they were going to release a huge box set last year. Out of nowhere, that set was cancelled and it was later known that the real right holders of those titles is Buena Vista, who is known to sit on catalog titles. We are still waiting for them to released them again, although the possibility still exist that Criterion re-releases them, since they have a good relationship with Buena Vista.

woemcats 01-30-06 10:29 PM

I hope Criterion puts them out again. I often kick myself for not getting the Wrong Men and Notorious Women set when I had the chance (for $89 new at one point!). I tried to get one used on Amazon for $150 last year and the seller claimed it got lost in the mail TWICE (uh huh). Now they are $100 more.

DonnachaOne 01-30-06 10:40 PM

Yeah, I had that set. Sold it last year.

Wick 01-30-06 11:16 PM

I thought about ordering the set off of Ebay, because it was going for about $150 USD. I decided against it because I didn't want to risk it getting damaged during shipment. I ended up buying, "The 39 Steps," when I was in Toronto, and ordered "Spellbound" off of Ebay. I'm awaiting its arrival.

Tracer 01-31-06 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by woemcats
I hope Criterion puts them out again. I often kick myself for not getting the Wrong Men and Notorious Women set when I had the chance (for $89 new at one point!). I tried to get one used on Amazon for $150 last year and the seller claimed it got lost in the mail TWICE (uh huh). Now they are $100 more.

Sounds like the same seller I purchased from on Amazon last year... sent TWICE never recieved, finally got a refund.

Wick 02-02-06 11:55 PM

I received my copy of Spellbound, in the mail, today. As I said before, I ordered it off of Ebay, from a seller named, "bluegene." He has another one up for sale now. I had no problems buying from him, whatsoever.

mifuneral 02-03-06 11:33 AM

I got Notorious at Barnes & Noble not long after it went OOP, for $40. It's probably my favorite Hitchcock film(or tied with Vertigo) so the purchase was well worth it for me. :)

chente 02-03-06 12:19 PM

Picked up two copies of the set when it went on sale at DVD Empire before it went out of print for $75 each. Sold one last year for more than double that.