Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe --> April 4th!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe --> April 4th!

Old 02-10-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
That and because it was a much better movie.
I think there are plenty of people who think the opposite.
Old 02-10-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should try and wait for the EE, but I don't think I can. I loved this movie like crazy. This is just a case where I am going to have to knowingly double dip later on. I want that theatrical cut and I want it as soon as I can.
Old 02-10-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone
I should try and wait for the EE, but I don't think I can. I loved this movie like crazy. This is just a case where I am going to have to knowingly double dip later on. I want that theatrical cut and I want it as soon as I can.
There might not be an EE at all, according to Disney. Do note they state "currently." That doesn´t mean they won´t make an EE later on

In a related story, many were intrigued or disenchanted by a column in last Friday's USA Today in which Wardrobe director Andrew Adamson was credited as saying that a DVD with an extended version of the film is also in the works. This, the first news of a potentially longer cut of Wardrobe, will not be among the releases offered this spring. We checked with Buena Vista Home Entertainment and discovered that while Adamson might have these ambitious plans somewhere down the road, no such DVD is currently in the works.

Source: Ultimate Disney
Old 02-10-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts
At 2.5 hours, Narnia still felt a little padded at times (and I say that as someone who ADORED the movie), but as I previously mentioned it nailed pretty much every scene in the book PLUS some needed exposition and fleshing out of the characters and situations.

An EE would, IMO, be too much. Not to say I wouldn't look forward to it and buy it, but there's no reason why Narnia needs MORE footage. Still, the fact remains
Old 02-10-06, 01:33 PM

Hmmm I'll just have to look at prices I guess once it's released.

While I really like this film....I have to say King Kong was better IMO.

But I've watched Kong since I was little and have been looking forward to Kong since I even heard it was a whisper and mistakenly thought Mighty Joe Young was kong.

So I may be biased.

To each his own when it comes to these films.
Old 02-10-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 940 Likes on 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
At 2.5 hours, Narnia still felt a little padded at times (and I say that as someone who ADORED the movie), but as I previously mentioned it nailed pretty much every scene in the book PLUS some needed exposition and fleshing out of the characters and situations.

An EE would, IMO, be too much. Not to say I wouldn't look forward to it and buy it, but there's no reason why Narnia needs MORE footage. Still, the fact remains
I disagree. While most of the movie was quite developed, there were still areas that needed to be fleshed out more. Mainly Aslan. You have Lucy & Susan all distraught over him yet they (according to what the viewer sees) barely know him. Same with the viewer. Why do we care about his big choice? We don't know him. He only had a few lines. They probably limited his scenes due to CG budget reasons. This is the big chance to develop him as well since he appears in the other novels.

Sorry if that sounds vague. Just trying to keep it spoiler free.

The centaur could have been fleshed out more as well. Not a lot, but enough to put him on the same level of character development as Mr. Tumnus.

As for Disney nixing the idea. They are probably saving face so they don't hurt sales of the first editions. I'll still wait.
Old 02-13-06, 12:27 PM
Banned

From thedigitalbits.com Rumor Mill:

2/13/06

So... is anyone out there interested in seeing an extended edition of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? The theatrical editions are due to hit DVD on 4/4, but our industry sources are telling us that Disney is considering a longer version of the film for DVD release later this year or next, a la the dual versions of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#021306
Old 02-13-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
They should put the Lazy Sunday SNL skit on one of those DVDs....
Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious
Old 02-13-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To EE or not to EE that is the

Disney say there won´t be an EE anytime soon. Yet, The Bits say there will.
Old 02-13-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess that depends on your definition of "soon". The Bits said it could be as far away as the end of 2007.

Having seen the movie with my daughter and subsequently having reread it to her. I can't think of anything it was missing.
Old 02-13-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it would be logical to assume that they will release an expanded edition to tie in with the theatrical release of the 2nd film (Prince Caspian) in 2007. I'm not going to bother waiting around... I'll grab the 2-disc SE now and see what the future holds.
Old 02-13-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think there are plenty of people who think the opposite.
Not I. Sorry, Mr. Cinema. IMO, the Chronicles of Narnia was a far better movie intellectually and entertainment-wise.
Old 04-05-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 685 Likes on 532 Posts
For those of you that picked up the 2-disc set, how many concept artwork cards were included? I ask becasue in one of the pictures on the slipcover it shows at least two cards but I only got one.
Old 04-05-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got two. Nothing terribly special, imo, but I sure as hell would want them if I paid for them.

I really like the case on this set. I like the way it isn't a traditional slipcover and the keepcase art is just the wardrobe. Really like a custom cover I'd use (with the exception of the barcode). And having Lucy & The Lampost showing through is a real nice touch. One of the best studio covers I've ever seen. A real attention to detail and tribute to the movie/story.
Old 04-05-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 685 Likes on 532 Posts
That's what I thought. I'll return it later. And, yeah, the case is great. On the plus side, I got the Narnia map from Suncoast even though I never pre-ordered.
Old 04-05-06, 11:18 AM

Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger on the 2-disc set from buy.com with my wife's 15% off coupon.

As for the Kong/Narnia debate - I really, really, really wanted to like Kong. One of my dearest early memories is watching the original with my dad. But, for me - Kong didn't rise above eye-candy. One hour in I looked at my watch for the first time and said, "They aren't even on the island yet." Two hours in I looked at my watch and said, "Not only are they not in New York yet, but they've decided to remake Jurassic Park."

That's not to say that Narnia was the best movie ever, but of the two, it's the only one I'm buying. Call me crazy, but that's where I'm at.
Old 04-05-06, 11:57 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by RocShemp
For those of you that picked up the 2-disc set, how many concept artwork cards were included? I ask becasue in one of the pictures on the slipcover it shows at least two cards but I only got one.
There are definitely two.
Old 04-05-06, 12:28 PM

just wathed it for the first time last night thought it was pretty decent but nothing special. Anyone else think the helemts looked retarded in the battle? Looks like they bought them at party city or somethinig made me think of how detailed the armor and everything was in lotr.
Old 04-05-06, 03:57 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is the 2-disc set worth the extra bucks content wise? I'm still debating between 1 and 2 disc versions...
Old 04-05-06, 04:21 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
If you're on the fence, then yes, the 2-disc is very much worth the investment.
Old 04-05-06, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp

There are definitely two.
Well, I got three, but one is a duplicate. I got two of the one with the White Witch. RocShemp, any chance this is the one you're missing?

If anyone got more than two (Alsan and the White Witch) please chime in.
Old 04-05-06, 10:31 PM

I got 2 as art-cards as well. I loved the special features and packaging of the 2D, but if you didn't LOVE this movie, as I did, the 1D still has 2 commentary tracks and a trivia track, along with some bloopers, so I'd recommend that (considering the higher price of the 2D)
Old 04-06-06, 04:09 AM

Yeah, the price for the 2 disc is absurd. The dvd companies are more greedy than ever. I saw upwards of $26.99.
Old 04-06-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
Yet, The Bits say there will.
Well The Bits are always up to date with accurate info like when Star Wars and the Blade Runner special edition will be released...
Old 04-06-06, 08:14 AM

Overall I liked the movie pretty well. I thought the battle scene was a little hookie though. It took me forever to realize the queen is the same woman that plays the head lady on the movie "The Beach" w/ Leonardo DiCaprio...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.