DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Reefer Madness :The Musical pixellates wildly after the layer transition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/452078-reefer-madness-musical-pixellates-wildly-after-layer-transition.html)

pete1974 01-13-06 09:35 AM

Reefer Madness :The Musical pixellates wildly after the layer transition

Now this should be in the proper forum... -wink-

Does anyone else have this problem,

I bought "Reefer Madness :The Musical" and it pixellates wildly after what I think is the layer transition. I took it back and got another copy (from a different store) and the same thing happened on two different players.

Is this happening to anyone else?

pete1974 01-14-06 09:46 PM

Anybody?......Bueller?.........Bueller?...............

Count Dooku 01-15-06 12:44 AM

I watched a rented copy of it and the picture was fine.

movieking 01-15-06 05:47 AM

I tried to rent this at all of my local video stores, and none carried it. I had to get me my Kristin Bell fix, so I got it online. It was fine.

pete1974 01-15-06 01:25 PM

Something I noticed was it would be fine if you watched it with the 5.1 audio track. If you watch it with the 2.0 audio track or the commentary, that's when it screws up.

garmonbozia 01-16-06 07:50 AM

I haven't gotten around to actually watching my copy yet.....
......but isn't it strange that the dvd case is chocolate-scented??

remember scratch-n-sniff stickers?
well seriously, the brown cases they used for the Reefer Madness release smell just like those. In case I was imagining it, I asked someone else I know who got it, and her family all agreed as well.

thought that was really strange, like they should have been used for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory instead or something.

pete1974 01-16-06 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I haven't gotten around to actually watching my copy yet.....
......but isn't it strange that the dvd case is chocolate-scented??

You'd think they'd be dark green and pot scented or something :D2:

mongoco 01-16-06 11:35 AM

it's supposed to smell like pot brownies

joe_b 02-13-14 10:09 AM

Re: Reefer Madness :The Musical pixellates wildly after the layer transition

Really old thread for a bump, but I just bought this DVD last week and have the same problem. It's a newer copy in an eco-case, so it seems Showtime never bothered pressing new discs to fix the issue some players have with this movie. I've tried it on three DVD players (one portable) and a blu-ray player. Only the portable and the blu-ray player read the disc properly (barring a really clumsy layer change in the middle of FDR's line about Little Orphan Annie).

On one machine (a Magnavox MDV455), the screen froze right after the "Mary Lane" song. You could rewind the DVD a bit and it would continue playing until the middle of "Little Mary Sunshine", then it would start pixelating like crazy. On the second machine (and old-ass Oritron), it played fine until the layer change (right before "Tell 'Em the Truth"), then completely froze up the machine and I had to unplug it. I noticed the disc was made in Mexico and I've had similar problems with double sided discs made in the same country, but this was the first time a single sided disc has failed on more than one of my players. I read on IMDb that others have had this problem, but I'm surprised none of the Amazon reviews mention it. I figure it's not worth exchanging if other folks have had the same issue with multiple copies.