Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had a DVD that's just...disappeared?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Have you ever had a DVD that's just...disappeared?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My OOP copy of Much Ado About Nothing just up and disappeared. I replaced it with the new one, but still very curious what happened to the old one.

Phil
Old 01-13-06, 03:12 PM

I've lost a handful of DVD's from letting someone borrow them, which is why I'm pretty stingy on loaning them out these days. Though my original copy of Sin City is nowhere to be found. Luckily I bought the new special edition, so I'm not too worried.
I do believe there is a dvd thief, kind of like Santa Claus. He sneaks in at night, travelling from state to state, and takes a dvd or two from our collections thinking we'll never notice. Someone should alert the Feds.

Last edited by joshtown; 01-13-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One: Two Towers 2-disc set. I either lost it, or Columbia House never sent it to me. I have a feeling it was the latter, but it's definitely MIA.
Old 01-13-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my alias season 1 disc 6. i was going to watch that disc a few nights ago, and its not in its spot, now i'm a bit pissed (i have watched the show before no biggie, on that, but i need a disc 6, to complete season 1
Old 01-13-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I must be one anal retentive bastard, because I've never lost a DVD, or a CD, or a cassette when I was collecting those 18 years ago. I've always maintained large collections of media with no problem. Right now it's just me and my fiance, and we don't loan anything. We're in our own house.

When I used to rent, we had onsite rental management and maintenance. They had keys to every door. That's when I bought locking cabinets for my DVD's. These guys come in to change a filter or something, there's no way they're not going to notice my collection.

I use my DVDProfiler to do an inventory every couple of months to make sure I don't have stuff listed that I don't have, as well as if I have stuff I haven't lited yet. I tend to sell movies then re-buy them later at a cheaper price, so I have to stay on top of things!
Old 01-13-06, 06:02 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought the Criterion 2 disc version of, "The Life Aquatic." I put it in my dining room (which is where a lot of my DVDs are cluttered, due to the fact that my racks are full, and I can't find it. I've looked all over. If I don't find it soon, I'm just going to buy it again, before it's oop.
Old 01-13-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Banlieue 13 and I just got the thing about two months ago. And Ive been in the mood to watch it for about two weeks now. Major downer ...
Old 01-13-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, it looks like the aforementioned evil DVD stealing Santa Claus has come to Canada, because my beloved copy of Clerks X has vanished into thin air. Now, I'm just a shell of a man.
Old 01-13-06, 08:32 PM

So far, I've had no DVDs disappear. May be because I live alone (except for a cat), return them to the shelving unit right after viewing, and never let anyone borrow them, not even my closest friends!

/is a greedy old coot
Old 01-13-06, 08:52 PM
Cool New Member

yeah my From Dusk To Dawn...just vanished...i know i didnt loan it out..b/c i dont loan dvds..lol...hmmm
Old 01-13-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I don't know where it is, who took it, or how long it's been gone.

= J

Something about that whole scene is fucking hilarious.

How anal am I? I even do an annual inventory on my library.

...and nobody touches my shit....ever. I'm a selfish bastard.

I must be one anal retentive bastard, because I've never lost a DVD, or a CD, or a cassette when I was collecting those 18 years ago. I've always maintained large collections of media with no problem. Right now it's just me and my fiance, and we don't loan anything. We're in our own house.
Pretty much in that same boat and I resemble that early remark.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-13-06 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-13-06, 09:57 PM

Somewhere around here is an extras disc from my Yearbook Edition of Freaks and Geeks. I moved a few months ago and had some things in two different places. It's around here somewhere. I just have to go through a few more boxes one of these days...
Old 01-13-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
My brother just recently returned a few DVDs he borrowed from me over a year ago...I didn't realize he had them or that they were even missing (out of sight, out of mind I guess).

On the plus side, it was like I was getting Panic Room and Bound for the first time all over agian.

Usually I don't even realize DVDs are missing unless I notice an empty slot on my shelf, and even then I have to seriously think about which movie it was by trying to figure out its alphabetical placement using the dvds on either side of the empty slot as clues.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-13-06 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Sony 400 disc changer and a majority of my movies are in there. I leave the cases out for viewing. I have had a case some how make it to my door and the get left before. I have even had some one comment how there are no DVD's in the cases. That person doesn't come over anymore...
Old 01-14-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Greg613
Step 1. Collect DVD's
Step 2. ?
Step 3. Profit!

I hate DVD Gnomes.

I haven't lost any DVD's yet, but I have lost quit a few CD's. I am still looking for two CD's right now.
Isn't it "phase", not "step"?
Old 01-14-06, 10:42 AM

You gotta watch your friends when they come over.
Old 01-14-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wild at Heart. I still have the case, but the disc is gone and I haven't watched it since it's release.

Really really pisses me off, something a little more crappy could have gone missing.
Old 01-14-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't find my expanded edition of Lord of the Rings Return of the King, and it's pissing me off. Last year (or so), I suspected that a DVD of mine had been stolen. Well, the one that I am noticing is gone is LOTR Return of the King. I hope to find it around someday, stuck in some corner, but I can't shake that what if feeling that somebody came in to my apartment for maitenance and saw all my DVDs and decided I wouldn't miss one of them.
Old 01-14-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slightly OT, but my boss has a penchant for loaning out his CDs to pals all the time......and hey, more power to him but I've also seen him replace several of those in the last few years.

We have one friend I named "The Black Hole"...which I read that Ackroyd used to call Belushi. He'd give him a cigarette lighter and poof.....a minute later it was gone, nowhere to be found!
Old 01-15-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say it sounds like some of you may have light-finger friends/relations.

I haven't had a single DVD disappear (knocks on wood). Since my DVDs go from case to player and back to the case, none are likely to either. The first time one does will be the last time. I won't waste any time putting locks on my cabinets, because I'll have a darn good idea why they disappeared and who the responsible party (or parties) may be.
Old 01-15-06, 02:07 AM

I've had several go missing only to find them at my jackass "friends" houses later. Eventually they learned that I keep up with what's in my collection.
Old 01-15-06, 02:39 AM

A few years ago, I went out of town for the weekend. My wife had my in-laws over most of the weekend. When I came home, I went to put a movie in for the kids, and oddly enough, the first movie I grabbed for (some Disney title, can't remember which) was gone. I looked all over, couldn't find it, and tried to forget about it, figuring it was around somewhere. A couple days later, I looked all over the house, then did a complete inventory of our collection. Sure enough, the DVD was gone. As were a few books. I knew my father-in-law had taken them, but he wouldn't admit to it. My wife and my parents suggested that I just rebuy the DVD and missing books, but I refused. I didn't see any reason why I should have to shell out $50 because my father-in-law didn't want to admit he'd stolen from us. This dragged on for a couple months, and got to be a bit of a problem. I probably would have made just as big a deal had it only been one book , or just a DVD, but considering he stole a total of $50 worth of stuff, including a DVD we watched all the time, and a couple cookbooks we used quite frequently, I considered it to be a very big deal. If I'd have walked into a store and stolen the same items to replace the ones he'd taken, then told the store to ignore it because the stealing and lying was just in my nature, I suspect they would have been just as eager to prosecute me.

Anyways, after a couple months, my parents "found" an extra copy of the Disney DVD in the drawer where they kept their old VHS tapes (which hadn't been opened for months prior to when this whole incident began due to some remodeling they'd done). They didn't know which books had been taken, otherwise they'd have "found" those as well. As for the books, even though my wife found our books at her parents' house, her dad refused to let her take them, insisting that he'd bought them for himself, and had somehow replicated the notes I'd taken on some of the pages in my very own handwriting. She finally told him that we wouldn't be bringing the kids back over if this was the example he was going to be setting for them. While that should have been the end of it, his next step was to throw the books away to prove that he'd never had them. Eventually, though, he broke down and replaced them. The funny thing about all this is that my in-laws didn't even have a DVD player at the time.

I've had a couple others disappear, but those had all fallen behind our shelves and turned up eventually. I do a complete inventory at least once a year, and that usually gets everything back in its proper place.
Old 01-15-06, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by SLeopold
My wife had my in-laws over most of the weekend. When I came home, I went to put a movie in for the kids, and oddly enough, the first movie I grabbed for (some Disney title, can't remember which) was gone. I knew my father-in-law had taken them, but he wouldn't admit to it.
Sounds like you need to read this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=451949
Old 01-15-06, 09:39 AM

I NEVER lend out any DVDs to friends or family. I'm not selfish by any means, just protective of my collection. If anyone wants to see a title I own, i'll gladly burn them a copy. This way I never have to worry about when i'm going to get my disc back and the recepient is happy too. It's a win-win.
Old 01-15-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I've never had this happen to dvds, but I have had it happen to 2 games: Legend of Zelda for NES and Duke Nukem 3D for PC. I lost my Zelda game sometime in the mid '90s and found it a few years later behind the baseboard heat in my basement when I was moving my tv stand. I dusted it off, poped it in my Nintendo, and it worked fine. Duke Nukem, however, is still MIA. I lost it in either '98 or '99 and have since come to the conclusion that it was stolen by this kid I used to hang out with when I was in 7th grade. I severed contact with him a year later due to him being an asshole.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.