Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battlestar Galactica Season One Discs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-06, 12:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battlestar Galactica Season One "Scaled" Discs???

I just picked up Battlestar Galactica Season One from Best Buy and as I was checking the undersides of the discs, I noticed that four out of the five discs contain this sort of "scales" on the data side of the discs. They look similar to figure print marks but look similar to "scales."
Has anyone else seen this before on a DVD? If so, does it cause any playback problems? I tried doing a serach here on the forums but I haven't been able to turn anything up. I'm just wondering if this is common for this set, or if I should exchange it and see if I can get a non-"scaled" copy.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Wedge003; 01-08-06 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scales?
Old 01-08-06, 03:56 PM
Cool New Member

It looks like finger print marks, but these marks have a pattern that looks almost like the scales on a snake. It's really weird and I have never seen this before on a DVD. I'm thinking about exchanging the set just because of this occurence, but if this a large problem it might be likely that my replacement set will have similar markings on the underside of the discs.
Old 01-08-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just checked mine for fun and no such marks of that or any kind.I would just exchange it if i were you.
Old 01-09-06, 09:20 AM
Cool New Member

I too saw this on my season one discs (both the first set, and the second set I exchanged them for before I gave up), but didn't post about it because I figured it might be difficult to convey exactly what this looks like. Scales is a good descriptor though. These aren't marks ON the disc, but more like some weird effect on the back of the disc art that you can see through the discs.

In any case, I didn't have any playback problems with mine, so even though I'm usually really picky about this kind of thing, I let it go when I saw that a second set had the same problem (especially since it was multiple discs, and not just one bad disc--seems like a result of how they were being manufactured).