DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Star Wars Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/451397-star-wars-question.html)

Silver5656 01-08-06 01:38 AM

Star Wars Question

I recently started my dvd collection (lol and its quite expensive) but i've held off on buying star wars since i wanted a 1-6 super duper limited edition set lol but i realized it might be a while till then and with the new hd/bluray coming that i should just buy the dvd's now. But here are my questions.

1. How many releases have there been on the star wars 4-6? (dvd only)
2. Wats the difference between the the 4 disk episode 4-6 and the 3 disk episode 4-6? (i've read up on this using the search and havent come up with any solid conclusions)
3. Any eta on a 1-3 set or a 1-6 set?
4. Are there any other star wars related dvd's? (like clone wars 1, 2)

Thanks everybody this forums been extremely helpful (altho money demanding)

GuruTwo 01-08-06 02:05 AM

1. How many releases have there been on the star wars 4-6? (dvd only)
2. Wats the difference between the the 4 disk episode 4-6 and the 3 disk episode 4-6? (i've read up on this using the search and havent come up with any solid conclusions)
There have been four: the four-disc version in widescreen, the four-disc version in fullscreen, the three-disc version in widescreen and the three-disc version in fullscreen. As for the difference between the four-disc version and the three-disc version, it's as simple as that: the three-disc version is missing disc 4 from the four-disc version. The three movie discs are absolutely identical.

3. Any eta on a 1-3 set or a 1-6 set?
No. Massive work is reportedly underway on a six-film "saga" box set, it's been said that the LucasFilm archives are being raided, but there's no real evidence as to when it'll be released, although 2007 *is* the 30th anniversary of the release of the original "Star Wars" film.

4. Are there any other star wars related dvd's? (like clone wars 1, 2)
Yes, there's "Clone Wars" Volume 1, which contains the first 20 three-minute episodes and Volume 2, which contains the last five 12-minute episodes, three double-feature discs (one containing both live-action "Ewoks" films, one containing 8 episodes of the animated "Ewoks" series edited into two feature-length movies and another containing 8 episodes of the animated "Droids" series edited into two feature-length movies), "R2-D2: Beneath The Dome", a 20-minute mockumentary that was only available at Best Buy and MusicLand Group stores for about $5, "A Musical Journey", a 75-minute presentation of the major musical themes of the saga set to footage from all six films, which is available with the "Episode III" soundtrack, and "The Story of Star Wars", available with some copies of "Episode III" at Wal-Mart, is a recap of Episodes I, II, IV, V and VI which is pretty worthless, but it does include new footage and narration by the droids, and the fact that it's an authentic Anthony Daniels C-3PO performance makes it ultimately worth having. There are a few others available with stuff like a toy lightsaber and a "Trivial Pursuit" boardgame but they're not worth owning if you have all the stuff I mentioned.

The Cow 01-08-06 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
No. Massive work is reportedly underway on a six-film "saga" box set, it's been said that the LucasFilm archives are being raided, but there's no real evidence as to when it'll be released, although 2007 *is* the 30th anniversary of the release of the original "Star Wars" film.

:lol:

(go with the "no")

Silver5656 01-08-06 03:55 AM

lol thanks guys awesome fast reply and to the point. well looks like i gotta get the other dvd's....thanks!

chemosh6969 01-08-06 10:31 AM

There is also the dvd that Wal-Mart was giving away as a bonus with Episode III.

GuruTwo, the only reason LucasFilm archives are being raided is because they are burning anything that has to do with the originals. CGI4LIFE

Terrell 01-08-06 10:36 AM

There have been four: the four-disc version in widescreen, the four-disc version in fullscreen, the three-disc version in widescreen and the three-disc version in fullscreen.
Actually, I would only call that two releases. A 4-disc set and a 3-disc set. The fact that they released them in widescreen and fullscreen is irrelevant. Almost everyone does that to maximize sales. Since they include the same content, they aren't really seperate releases.

Silver5656, it's all but guaranteed that they'll be releasing a 1-6 film box set. In fact, they're already working on it according to many reports. It was even mentioned officially by McCallum, although there's been no definitive announcement. It's way too early. I personally doubt that this box set it going to be released in hi-def DVD. Why? Because I find it hard to believe that Lucas will release a huge box set of his crown jewel on a format in it's infancy, especially when we're about to have a format war. Consider the fact that Lucas waited forever for the DVD format to achieve a huge installed base, before he released the original trilogy. That's my own theory as to why the box set won't be in HD.

DavidH 01-08-06 11:34 AM

Don't forget Lucas waited an awful long time to release Star Wars on VHS too. Yes, I expect it will be at least five more years (maybe longer) before Star Wars in on an HD format.

toddly6666 01-08-06 12:22 PM

The question is, do you really want to see Star Wars in the HD format. When picture quality is so 3-dimensional it can lose the film quality effect, in which it could change the original Star Wars flicks into looking like sets...as it looks with the new bad prequels - everything looks fake in the background with Lucas's obsession with the blue screen. The HD may take the realism and escapism out of the old films.

DavidH 01-08-06 01:02 PM

Well, theatrical prints still exhibit far more resolution than 1080i/p so I don't think that will be an issue.

Terrell 01-08-06 01:52 PM

The question is, do you really want to see Star Wars in the HD format. When picture quality is so 3-dimensional it can lose the film quality effect, in which it could change the original Star Wars flicks into looking like sets...as it looks with the new bad prequels - everything looks fake in the background with Lucas's obsession with the blue screen. The HD may take the realism and escapism out of the old films.
Yes, I do want them on HD because I don't agree with a single thing in your post. The prequels look incredible in HD. I haven't seen the originals in HD, but they'll look incredible as well.

GuruTwo 01-08-06 04:30 PM

There is also the dvd that Wal-Mart was giving away as a bonus with Episode III.
Arghh, I knew I was forgetting something. I looked at my DVD shelf and didn't see it because I have "The Story of Star Wars" in one half of my "trilogy" box with Episodes I-III (and the other half holds IV-VI and the bonus disc). I edited my initial post to include it.

Jason 01-08-06 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
GuruTwo, the only reason LucasFilm archives are being raided is because they are burning anything that has to do with the originals. CGI4LIFE

Eight hours and 53 minutes.

GuruTwo 01-08-06 06:05 PM

Eight hours and 53 minutes.
Is that a record?

milo bloom 01-08-06 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
as it looks with the new bad prequels - everything looks fake in the background with Lucas's obsession with the blue screen.

I just got around to some of the making-of's for Ep3 recently, and was astounded at how many "behind the scenes" shots revealed blue-screen that had totally fooled me as sets.

I think you're just looking for something to pick on at this point.

Joe Molotov 01-08-06 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Is that a record?

Yes, it's a record that it took that long.

GuruTwo 01-08-06 09:45 PM

Yes, it's a record that it took that long.
I know, I still would have been shocked if it took 8 minutes and 53 seconds.

Fok 01-09-06 12:38 AM

I'd say pick up the movies now, you get a lot of enjoyment out of them and who knows, the extra's maybe different on the next release

Mr. Salty 01-09-06 01:58 AM

I know there are plenty of copies still out there, but is the four-disc release of the OT now out of print?

micmac36 12-14-07 04:58 PM

sooo.... anything new on this yet? I too am waiting for a 1-6 set, a 1-3 box set or the movies on HD or BD. Any news would be appreciated.

hanshotfirst1138 12-14-07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by chemosh6969

What do you mean? And when did this happen? Or is that a joke? If it's not, be careful, because you could give me a heart attack!

shyguy1083 12-14-07 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by micmac36
sooo.... anything new on this yet? I too am waiting for a 1-6 set, a 1-3 box set or the movies on HD or BD. Any news would be appreciated.

i'm surprised they didn't just package 1-3 together in a nice slipcase. i honestly wish they'd just do that so i can have that box set next to the 4-6 box set. having waited this long, i'll continue to hold out. in no rush to own the new trilogy anyways...

MTRodaba2468 12-14-07 06:36 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

I've got all the 2-disc versions of the movies separately (along with the bonus disc from the box set), so unless the rumored box set for all the movies is TRULY a definitive release (again along with the original theatrical cuts, preferably anamorphic), I can stick with what I've got.

tylergfoster 12-14-07 06:52 PM

Lucasfilm has gone on record saying the format war must end before any Star Wars hi-def can be considered. Although, for what it's worth, 20th Century Fox is Blu-Ray exclusive, not to mention that Lucas' good friend Steven Spielberg is also a Blu-Ray fanatic.

ds6161 12-14-07 07:42 PM

Released Sept 2004 - special edition version box set 4-6 widescreen=silver box / fullscreen=gold box. Both with a 4th bonus disc.

Released Dec 2005 - special edition version box set 4-6 widescreen & fullscreen classic SW poster box. Both without the bonus disc.

Released Sept 2006 - special edition Star Wars, Empire & Jedi released separately with their original version on a 2nd disc. In widescreen & fullscreen.

bluetoast 12-14-07 08:04 PM

OP's questions were already answered earlier...almost 2 years earlier from the looks of the post :) dates.