DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Harder They Come Criterion DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/451184-harder-they-come-criterion-dvd.html)

slavetotherave 01-05-06 11:51 PM

The Harder They Come Criterion DVD

I work at Barnes and Noble in the media section and saw that we have on the shelf "The Harder They Come" Criterion DVD, and I know that's out of print. I can pick it up for 33.91, that's tax and everything (I know, Barnes and Noble with their crazy ass prices and lame employee discounts.) But does anyone think it's worth my while to pick this up? I checked the computer and it's not reorderable. I really have no desire to watch it, so should I buy this and hold onto it fully wrapped?

g 01-06-06 03:08 AM

It is actually a terrific movie because of one of the best soundtracks ever on a dvd. The movie is getting scarce and 33.92 is an acceptable price if you can't find it cheaper online. If you ever desire to complete the criterion collection (some completists do), you will need this dvd. This is why oop criterions tend to go up in value.

The Bus 01-06-06 07:39 AM

It's a great movie. I'd say pick it up, even if it's not going OOP.

Fielding Mellish 01-06-06 07:41 AM

I just wish it had been anamorphic.

bdots48 01-06-06 07:52 AM

If you're just getting it to own it, there is a perfectly fine Xenon release available now you can get for about $10 just about anywhere. The Criterion would be a good investment,though.

g 01-31-06 06:43 PM

I just notice you can get the criterion Harder They Come version on sale at moviesunlimited.com for 31.99. This is one of the last legitimate online stores offering it as it is sold out almost everywhere else.
http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...K7C&sku=D17940

grem458 02-01-06 07:07 PM

Buy.com has it for $33.85. In stock

man*machine 02-01-06 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by g
I just notice you can get the criterion Harder They Come version on sale at moviesunlimited.com for 31.99. This is one of the last legitimate online stores offering it as it is sold out almost everywhere else.

Wow, I never would have thought "moviesunlimited" and the word "legitimate" would ever be in the same sentence.

darkside 02-01-06 08:51 PM

I picked this one up from DVD Planet when Criterion announced it would be going out of print in their newsletter. Great film and wonderful soundtrack. I'm kind of mad that I didn't buy this one sooner.

laserdogg 02-01-06 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
Wow, I never would have thought "moviesunlimited" and the word "legitimate" would ever be in the same sentence.

I've purchased a few HTF discs from them and they have all been legit

Even visited their B&M when I lived in NJ in the 80's and thought it was a well stocked, clean store.

What problems are they known for?

g 02-01-06 11:11 PM

I've never had any problems with them. Its much safer than buying on ebay or such. A couple years ago someone posted on here that they had the sid and nancy criterion when it was oop. I was able to get it without going to ebay which was very nice.

man*machine 02-02-06 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by g
I've never had any problems with them. Its much safer than buying on ebay or such. A couple years ago someone posted on here that they had the sid and nancy criterion when it was oop. I was able to get it without going to ebay which was very nice.

They stock a lot of legitimate discs, but also a lot of bootlegs which they claim come from a sub-label called "Video Attic". Video Attic is actually part of moviesunlimited, but they deny that and claim it's some outside company who owns/distributes these bootlegged films (a way of selling them without recourse against themselves). The Video Attic titles (both on VHS and DVD) come in generic "Video Attic" boxes and are basically homemade copies. Many of these titles are advertised on the site using official artwork from the legitimate DVD company, but when you get the item, it's a fake generic copy from Video Attic. This happened to me once when I bought the DVD of MS. 45 from them (which was still in-print from Image Ent. and advertised on their site using the Image Ent. cover). What I got instead was a bootleg from Video Attic. Let's just say their customer service and response to this debacle was a true eye-opener - have you ever had a customer service rep start cursing at you because they are offended that you stand-up and call them out on an illegal item? Denial, denial, denial. All I wanted was a refund, but they tried to turn it all around saying how they would never sell a bootleg and that Video Attic is a private company that owns all these films and that MU has been doing business with them for so many years - blah blah blah. Funny, I've looked through a lot of MU catalogs over the years and was always curious about all those titles they have sold during that time that have NEVER been released legitimately on home-video before. Hmmmm - guess they were all Video Attic titles! And, of course, MU has 'nothing to do' with Video Attic and only 'sells' these films released by this "mysterious" outside company - and funny that no other on-line or B&M distributor sells or has ever sold titles from Video Attic. Only Movies Unlimited. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what's going on.

If you've had good luck with them, cool. They do sell a lot of legitimate releases as well and I'm sure they have tons of happy customers that haven't been burned. But not everything they are doing is on the up-and-up, especially when it comes to the rarer and more obscure titles. Have fun.

g 02-02-06 12:23 AM

One time they were selling a matter of life and death on amazon.com as a marketplace seller. I was wondering how they were selling that. I guess I'll steer clear of titles like that with them. I have never had any problem with any of their criterion disks though which is usually what I buy from them. I wouldn't want a homemade disk so I understand your complaint.

Brain Stew 02-02-06 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by grem458
Buy.com has it for $33.85. In stock

Thanks for letting us know that, I just ordered it from buy.com :).

g 02-03-06 08:24 PM

The buy.com deal just got better on the product page they are offering a 5 dollars off 45 dollars coupon until feb 9 as long as the harder they come criterion remains in stock the coupon is good for it.

Mountain Biker 02-10-06 02:02 AM

$27.96 at Digital Eyes..

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.c...&affiliate=DPS

g 08-10-06 06:57 PM

Amazon.com claims to have the harder they come criterion for order again if anybody needs it.

salamander2 08-10-06 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
They stock a lot of legitimate discs, but also a lot of bootlegs which they claim come from a sub-label called "Video Attic". Video Attic is actually part of moviesunlimited, but they deny that and claim it's some outside company who owns/distributes these bootlegged films (a way of selling them without recourse against themselves). The Video Attic titles (both on VHS and DVD) come in generic "Video Attic" boxes and are basically homemade copies. Many of these titles are advertised on the site using official artwork from the legitimate DVD company, but when you get the item, it's a fake generic copy from Video Attic. This happened to me once when I bought the DVD of MS. 45 from them (which was still in-print from Image Ent. and advertised on their site using the Image Ent. cover). What I got instead was a bootleg from Video Attic. Let's just say their customer service and response to this debacle was a true eye-opener - have you ever had a customer service rep start cursing at you because they are offended that you stand-up and call them out on an illegal item? Denial, denial, denial. All I wanted was a refund, but they tried to turn it all around saying how they would never sell a bootleg and that Video Attic is a private company that owns all these films and that MU has been doing business with them for so many years - blah blah blah. Funny, I've looked through a lot of MU catalogs over the years and was always curious about all those titles they have sold during that time that have NEVER been released legitimately on home-video before. Hmmmm - guess they were all Video Attic titles! And, of course, MU has 'nothing to do' with Video Attic and only 'sells' these films released by this "mysterious" outside company - and funny that no other on-line or B&M distributor sells or has ever sold titles from Video Attic. Only Movies Unlimited. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what's going on.

If you've had good luck with them, cool. They do sell a lot of legitimate releases as well and I'm sure they have tons of happy customers that haven't been burned. But not everything they are doing is on the up-and-up, especially when it comes to the rarer and more obscure titles. Have fun.

yep, I ordered QUATERMASS AND THE PIT dvd, they showed the Anchor Bay image, I called customer service, they assured me it is the Anchor Bay disc, what I got was instead a 2 disc DVD-R of the above movie, it was like the film did not fit in one disc so they put it in two (even though it was a 90minute film), with a home made cover that I think 6th graders could have done better job with, that was printed on a ink jet printer, and when I try to get a refund they balked! Finally I forced them to refund me, but when I got my refund on my CC, they didnt refund the overpriced shipping chargeas well as return shipping fee they promised!!!!!!

manicsounds 08-10-06 09:32 PM

A new edition of The Harder They Come will be available in Japan as a 2 disc set, anamorphic, 5.1, and with a lot of retrospective extras.