Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What about "remastered in High Definition" DVD's - does that mean they are HD ?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-04-06, 07:57 PM

I was wondering, with all this high-def hype (HD / Blu-Ray / broadcast in high-definition / high-definition radio / etc.), what does this "remastered in high-definition" really mean when mentioned on current DVD packages ? Does that mean they are high-definition ?

Looking at my Seinfeld S6 package, I happened to notice that it mentioned "remastered in high definition" and checked all the other seasons say the same thing. That is what got me to wondering.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD is inherently not high-definition (I'm going to ignore WMV9 DVDs for the sake of simplicity). "Remastered in high definition" means exactly that -- the master from which the DVD was transferred is high-definition. But the actual transfer has been downrezzed to standard defintion (480p/480i for NTSC discs) for DVD.

Last edited by Dan Average; 01-04-06 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 10:53 PM

^---Thanks.

Makes sense. I had not thought of it as the master was only high-definition.

Does it really make the picture any better coming from the hi-def master BUT being "downrezzed" (since you are losing the resolution but coming from a better source) or is it really more hype/advertising/selling point ?
Old 01-04-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by forumsmy
Does it really make the picture any better coming from the hi-def master BUT being "downrezzed" (since you are losing the resolution but coming from a better source) or is it really more hype/advertising/selling point ?
The vast majority of the time, they really do look better.
Old 01-05-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by forumsmy
"Mastered in high-defintion" is a fancy way of saying, "We did a new video transfer with the latest equipment". Even though the picture is downscaled to DVD resolution, most of the time this looks better than older masters which were probably done with inferior technology.
Old 01-06-06, 09:05 PM

It also means an HD version of the material will likely be released since they have an HD master kickin' around. The new Twilight Zone sets are in the same position.

Gord
Old 01-06-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is somewhat useful, as it amounts to a guarantee that it isn't an old transfer. However, considering that many titles are taken from an HD master anyway, it is more marketing hype.

It's kind of like how some DVDs use just as high a bitrate as "Superbit" titles, but they don't make a big deal out of it on the package or price it higher because of it (Best Buy sale notwithstanding).
Old 02-19-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Semi old topic, yes, but wanted to know something else.
I was at BestBuy today and saw this for the first time on a few discs.It made me think, does this need a DVD player that upconverts or would that be of any help for that matter?I wouldnt think you need one seeing as it gives you 480p/480i which any progressive scan player should give in a HDTV anyway right?
About helping the image, would it really do anything going through a player that upconverts to say 720p ( assuming the TV supported 720p )

Just questions as Im not about to go out and get a player that upconverts.Just wondering.Thought maybe it was what it was...hype!
Old 02-20-06, 06:50 AM

I was in need of a new DVD Player for my bedroom and bought a Panasonic S77S which upconverts to 1080i or 720p. On the best quality DVDs, the picture quality is stunning. On poor transfer DVDs, the picture still looks sharper, but don't expect it to make it look like a brand new transfer. Obviously you need a HD Ready TV to play at these conversion rates or there's no point in getting the player.

That being said, it depends on what DVD player you are replacing on how much of a difference you'll see. I upgraded from a JVC XV-723 which was about 3 years old and connected via component output to the Panasonic S77S which is connected via HDMI, so I'm not sure how much of the improvement was the player or the connection.

Here's a review of the Panasonic S77S player if you're interested:

http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?id=503

The bottom line was that if you're in the market for a new DVD player, its definitely a worthly option, but if you already have a perfectly working current DVD player and are happy with its performance and features, you may be better served to just wait for HD-DVD / Blu-Ray.
Old 02-20-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
Semi old topic, yes, but wanted to know something else.
I was at BestBuy today and saw this for the first time on a few discs.It made me think, does this need a DVD player that upconverts or would that be of any help for that matter?
DVDs that say "mastered in high definition" are no different than any other DVDs. In fact, the majority of major studio DVDs are mastered in high definition these days. What you get on DVD is still DVD quality. You can play them in a regular DVD player on a regular TV. Using an upscaling DVD player and an HDTV will benefit them the exact same as it would benefit any other DVD.
Old 02-20-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
It also means an HD version of the material will likely be released since they have an HD master kickin' around. The new Twilight Zone sets are in the same position.

Gord
Im kind of scared to see the videotaped TZ episodes in HD.
Old 02-20-06, 09:06 AM

Does playing a regular DVD on a HDTV actually benefit the picture?

I thought it just stays the same.
Old 02-20-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by T1000
Does playing a regular DVD on a HDTV actually benefit the picture?

I thought it just stays the same.
Sorry, but many dvds from my library look far superior on my properly calibrated HDTV. On the other hand, defects and poor transfers can look worse because an HDTV will bring those issues to the front. But for the most part....my dvds look much better on my HD display, especially anamorphic releases.
Old 02-20-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"remastered in High Definition" = Sales Gimmick

Like Josh said... everything today is pretty much taken from an HD source.

IMO the studios just like to use the old "remastered in High Definition" title to get you to buy the "Explosive" or "Boomstick" uber editions of previously released dvds.
Old 02-20-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
"remastered in High Definition" = Sales Gimmick

Like Josh said... everything today is pretty much taken from an HD source.

IMO the studios just like to use the old "remastered in High Definition" title to get you to buy the "Explosive" or "Boomstick" uber editions of previously released dvds.
Not true. Practically all the studios, except maybe for WB, routinely use the analog masters that were used for the vhs releases for the dvd releases of old tv shows and catalog titles. If it says remastered in high definition than they made a new master for the dvd. If it's anamorphic it's probably from an HD master because I can't imagine them making a new master that is not HD. A lot of this analog stuff still looks pretty good because in the '90s, when the catalog title sell through market began(14.99-19.99) for vhs, the studios started digitally remastering titles before releasing them on vhs. If you look at a 1980s tape of say, Dracula(1931), and compare it to the '90s Classic Monsters Collection tape you will see a noticeable improvement.
When a dvd comes out letterbox they most likely used the laserdisc master to save money instead of making a new HD anamorphic master. On old stuff that was never available before on home video before dvd it can go either way. Mr. Ed was never released on tape but they used analog masters for the DVD release. The reason they look so good is that they also began to digitally remaster old shows for resyndication in the '90s instead of making new prints from the old worn out masters.
Old 02-20-06, 11:13 AM
Cool New Member

On one of the Seinfeld sets there is an Easter Egg that shows a split screen comparison of the original material versus the remasterd material. I can't remember which season/disc it was, but this site has a vast Easter Egg listing.
Old 02-20-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Remastered in High Definition"

A fancy way of saying their is probably going to be a better version coming out, down the road, in true HD.
Old 02-20-06, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Sorry, but many dvds from my library look far superior on my properly calibrated HDTV. On the other hand, defects and poor transfers can look worse because an HDTV will bring those issues to the front. But for the most part....my dvds look much better on my HD display, especially anamorphic releases.
Isn't that because your HD TV is simply a higher quality piece of kit?
Old 02-20-06, 02:21 PM

crap in = crap out

if you want an example of how advanced transfers compare to older ones, try playing something like The Wild Bunch.

Upconverting newer DVDs to a hi-def monitor is the best picture you can get right now. The Lord of the Rings trilogy on my set-up nearly knocked me out.

Until Blu-ray hits the scene, and then drops down in price, upconversion is the way to go.
Old 02-20-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Im kind of scared to see the videotaped TZ episodes in HD.
The original Twilight Zone series was shot and post-produced entirely on film. Those film elements were recently remastered into high-definition, and the latest DVD box sets look fantastic. The show is also ready for true high-definition playback on the next-gen formats.

The 80s Twilight Zone revival, unfortunately, was post-produced on video and is limited to the quality of the 1980s standard-definition analog broadcast masters. The DVDs for that series don't look anywhere near as good as those for the original series.

The same situation explains why Star Trek: The Original Series looks so much better on DVD than Star Trek: The Next Generation does.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-20-06 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-20-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The original Twilight Zone series was shot and post-produced entirely on film. Those film elements were recently remastered into high-definition, and the latest DVD box sets look fantastic.
I thought the poster was referencing the two episodes of the original Twilight Zone that were filmed on video...