Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD replacing DVD discussion [merge of a couple of threads - yet again]

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HD-DVD replacing DVD discussion [merge of a couple of threads - yet again]

Old 06-08-06, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much longer will they still be making regular DVD's?

I honest-to-God think that DVD's already have PERFECT resolution and have no need to be any better. My eyes won't get any clearer or anything. I have a progressive scan DVD player connected to my widescreen HDTV and i think it is EXCELLENT. Actually even with s-video or on a regular TV. I also think there shouldn't ever be a reason to upgrade from DVDs as well as music CDs. In my mind (as well as people I have talked to), CD and DVD are already state of the art and always will be. I mean for one thing DVD already looks better than most movie theater (non digital). Besides, I care much, much, much more about special features instead of picture and sound quality. So, no, I never bought into the Superbit "hype". Why is DVD all of a sudden not so special anymore to people? To me, it always will be. I never got into laserdisc because it was so expensive. The main reasons I started buying DVDs (when the Matrix was released) was because of widescreen-ness, ability to start at any scene, and non-wear-out-ability. Oh and special features. That's pretty much it. How much longer until I can't buy any more movies, since I plan on NEVER getting Poo Ray or H Pee DVD?
Old 06-08-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously doubt the current DVD format will go away anytime soon. Did the new SACDs and other new CD formats kill off CDs? No. Most people are like you and quite satisfied with current DVDs. It's too huge to get rid of. HDDVD and Blue Ray are more for the serious collectors, and I doubt will catch on with the regular public anytime soon. How many people can just throw a few thousand dollars around to buy a TV set to play these things on to make it even matter?
Old 06-08-06, 04:38 PM

Good question. I'm too casual a collector to know the answer, but for the most part I agree with you. I don't necessarily mind the advancement of DVDs. I just hope they're always backwards compatible. I don't want to have to replace my entire collection, like I did with many of my VHS tapes.

For me, the benefit of DVDs is the extras. Widescreen is great, as is the picture and sound quality. But the extras really are the selling point, especially when upgrading a title you already own on VHS or an earlier disc.

Don't you need an HDTV in addition to the player for the HD-DVDs? If that's the case, I think it'll be a while before they catch on, if they do at all (with these competing formats). It'll take some time before most people can afford to uprgrade their TVs and DVD players.
Old 06-08-06, 04:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 493 Likes on 434 Posts
already a good thread on the subject...are standard dvd's caput...
Old 06-08-06, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marioxb
I mean for one thing DVD already looks better than most movie theater (non digital).
That is a surprising statement. The main theater I go to around here just recently upgraded to DLP, and even prior to that, the picture just plain destroyed any DVD that I have watched. I have a calibrated Pioneer Elite 530, being fed by a Elite 59avi, and it can't compare to the theater. I do have 20/13 vision in both eyes, so maybe I am able to distinguish much finer detail.

They will still sell regular DVD's for many years, but there is a big difference between regular DVD and HD to me.

Now, what I have trouble with is the whole "DTS is so much better than DD". But my ears are shit after having so many ear infections when I was young.
They both sound great to me on DVD, but I still think that Laserdiscs sound better. I also think there is a huge leap in quality between CD's and DVDaudio.
Old 06-08-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my mind (as well as people I have talked to), CD and DVD are already state of the art and always will be.
That's demonstrably false. Hook up a HD-DVD player to your TV and you'll quickly see that DVD is not "state of the art". Adequate for you? Possibly. But if it is state of the art in your mind, your mind is playing tricks on you.

In answer to your general question about how long standard DVDs will be around... no one knows for sure, but I wouldn't stress over it. I think you have a couple of decades at least before they go the way of the 8-track. The adoption of HD formats is going to be VERY slow.
Old 06-08-06, 05:35 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope they finish releasing the TV show's I've been collecting on DVD instead of continuing on with them in HD/BR
Old 06-08-06, 06:13 PM
Banned

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are to DVD as SACD and DVD-A are to CD.

Like CD's, DVD's aren't going away for a long, long, long time.
Old 06-08-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts
All production of standard DVD is scheduled to cease next Wednesday, June 14th. The final disc to roll off the assembly line will be Good Burger - Criterion Collection.
Old 06-08-06, 06:40 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I honest-to-God think that DVD's already have PERFECT resolution and have no need to be any better. My eyes won't get any clearer or anything. I have a progressive scan DVD player connected to my widescreen HDTV and i think it is EXCELLENT. Actually even with s-video or on a regular TV.
You either:

a) have things setup incorrectly
b) need to get your eyes checked
c) both

Saying that DVDs look perfect via S-video (480i) on a SD-DVD is perhaps the most inane statement I have heard all year.

Have you seen any HDTV on your HD set? If so, I think you'd quickly change your mind about the quality of DVD, unless your eyes are truly whack.

Last edited by mbs; 06-08-06 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 06:40 PM

Having acquired over 1000 dvds (compared to my less than 400 VHS tapes before) and making it my main obsession in life, it had better stick around. I might dabble my toes in it in about four of five years from now, but at the moment, I'm just not interested.
Old 06-08-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The installed base of dvd players is huge. The greed of the studios and the electronics makers want to encourage people to rebuy what they already own but, they will not stop making dvd's. They are also not stupid even if they are greedy.
Old 06-08-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
All production of standard DVD is scheduled to cease next Wednesday, June 14th. The final disc to roll off the assembly line will be Good Burger - Criterion Collection.
Finally! Is it the long-rumored Das Boot edition?

cheers,

-the Jesus

...who watches standard DVDs on a CRT television and loves every minute of it (but who is secretly jealous of HD early-adopters).
Old 06-08-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
since I plan on NEVER getting Poo Ray or H Pee DVD
Just glad we can have a mature discussion about this.

DVD is not going anywhere for a long time and if people are happy with DVD fine. However, the difference between DVD and HD DVD is night and day on many films. Anyone that claims to not see a difference is either blind or a liar.

This is not a SACD thing where there is so much variance in hearing and audio set up that many truely can not hear a difference. This is an obvious difference on almost any halfway decent set up HDTV.

Again, I'm not saying you have to replace all your DVDs, but there is a difference and anyone that is a fan of film and owns an HDTV will want one of these technologies in a year or two when prices drop. HD video is not going away, it is not going to be a SACD like niche format and people will have to deal with the fact their large DVD collections are going to be subpar to the newer formats in most cases.

Last edited by darkside; 06-08-06 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More HDTV's are being made available and sold. More content on television is being presented in HD. So yes, eventually everyone will make the switch to HD with their movies. Again, retailers are not pushing SD tv's. I see less and less of them in stores. HD is the big thing they are pushing. Why not take advantage of it with HD content on a disc?

HD movie and player pricing are comparable to when DVD launched. That's a big plus in my book.

Can we also please drop the tired SACD comparisons?

I think most people care more about how a movie looks than how it sounds.
Old 06-08-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure, but if this is any indication ... http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=468158 ... you might have some time left ...
Old 06-08-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I honestly think that DVDs will stay as the mainstream distribution of movies for a very very long time (decades probably) and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD will be a niche like thing basically for essentially Movie Buffs, that is unless they become as cheap as standard DVD, but even then most of the general public will either not know the difference or be intemidated by the new technology, or just not want to upgrade (you have no idea how much it took to convince my father to reventually retire his old VHS player).
Old 06-08-06, 10:49 PM

at least another 5 years.
probably longer.
Old 06-08-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides, I care much, much, much more about special features instead of picture and sound quality.
This is either a joke post or very, very sad. I can't tell which.

How much longer until I can't buy any more movies, since I plan on NEVER getting Poo Ray or H Pee DVD?
So you're, what, in middle school? I'd say DVDs will be around at least until you're old enough to vote.
Old 06-08-06, 11:20 PM

The average person does not have the disposable income to just keep buying movies. I dont know it HD and Blu Ray will fail but I don't think that they will take over DVD anytime soon as DVD has recently become the standard. Most people don't have the HD setups needed to even watch HD movies let alone all this money laying around to buy the movies.
Old 06-08-06, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
This is either a joke post or very, very sad. I can't tell which.

So you're, what, in middle school? I'd say DVDs will be around at least until you're old enough to vote.
What? He said basically the same thing. And no, I am 30. I made a stupid joke with the names of these stupid joke new formats that they IMO don't (didn't) need to ever release. Same thing as saying foolscreen or what not.

Originally Posted by mijorico
Good question. I'm too casual a collector to know the answer, but for the most part I agree with you. I don't necessarily mind the advancement of DVDs. I just hope they're always backwards compatible. I don't want to have to replace my entire collection, like I did with many of my VHS tapes.

For me, the benefit of DVDs is the extras. Widescreen is great, as is the picture and sound quality. But the extras really are the selling point, especially when upgrading a title you already own on VHS or an earlier disc.
Bonus features I think are the main selling point of DVDs and the thing I care most about, besides watching the movie itself. I like seeing a nice picture, but standard DVDs to me already look great! And no, I actually never felt like forking out any extra money to make my HDTV into an HDTV. How stupid is that? You have to buy a stupid little box to make your HDTV be able to watch TV in HDTV. That's like buying a microwave, but it's only an empty shell. Wow, this thing is great, but I need to buy the add-on microwaving gizmo so the microwave can cook stuff. I have an HDTV, but really the only reason I got it was because it was widescreen, and I basically got it for free. (Insurance from a car accident I was in.)

Every movie I see in the theater (I think the only movie I saw digitally was Chicken Little in 3D) is grainy and stuff. You can see dust specs and it just looks kinda fuzzy. That's what I meant when I said it looks better on a TV. How great can something look that is projected from an analog source? I don't think there really are any digital theaters in Columbus, Ohio. Chicken Little at one theater was shown in digital 3D. Is that the same thing? I mean does digital 3D mean digital as in DLP or whatever? OK, there is one theater that shows movies digital I guess, Rave Motion Pictures, but I don't go there because it's too expensive, though I did see Chicken Little 3D and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory there.

As posted on dlp.com "And whether you're catching that movie on opening night or months after, it will always look its best, because digital movies are immune to the scratches, fading, pops and jitter that film is prone to with repeated screenings." Comparing digital to film. I think VHS= regular film. (HD) DVD/ Blu Ray= digital film. And to me at least digital, is digital. It's not like video games where the graphics can obviously get better. (Although after the Wii, PS3 and X360, I honestly don't see them getting any better, unless we BECOME the video game or something.) Last I checked, a person won't magically get better looking, unlike say, comparing Mario in the NES Super Mario Bros. to Mario in Super Mario Sunshine.

Besides the bigger screen, watching movies at home is usually better. There (usually) are no crying babies and I can pause the movie to go to the bathroom if I need to. Going to the movies is just another fun thing to do with family/ friends. Actually one of the only things I do outside of work and home. To me, it's more about the experience then the actual quality. When (if) I want it in good quality, then I'll get the DVD.

I honestly believe that HGTV-DVD (hey- they should actually show HGTV in HDTV) and Rachel Ray will go the way of the Laserdisc and Beta, neither of which I ever owned. Another VHS-like format people never mention is movies on 8 millimeter tapes. Did they actually make very many? I bought Batman for like 5 bucks somewhere on 8mm tape just because it looked all cute in it's little tiny box and I've never seen any others in that format. I can only watch it on my (if I even still have the silly camera) cam-corder. Unless they drop to current DVD prices, AND stop making regular DVD, Joe Sixpack (and even Joe Widescreen DVD-is-good-enough-who-doesn't-drink-alchohol-pack) simply doesn't care. They just want the movie on a format that will not degrade over time. Simple as that.

Last edited by marioxb; 06-08-06 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-08-06, 11:46 PM

Oh Dear....
Old 06-08-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait for Wal-Mart to start selling HD and Blue Ray in Fullscreen only, "I hate dem black bars, it's like i'm getting ripped off. I bought a 32in. tee-vee for a ree-sun!!"
Old 06-09-06, 12:10 AM

Movies are still coming out on vhs....
Old 06-09-06, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
VHS was a lot closer quality wise to dvd than Dvd is to HD-dvd. This is fact.

Comparisons
Lies! And your silly color chart doesn't help me at all. VHS was fuzzy. DVD (for the most part) is not fuzzy. How can it get better? Sorry, I don't understand the comparisons using only numbers and color charts.

Here is my comparision:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.