HD-DVD replacing DVD discussion [merge of a couple of threads - yet again]

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HD-DVD replacing DVD discussion [merge of a couple of threads - yet again]

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt that HD-DVD/Blu-ray is going to be a failure or niche product. It isn't quite the jump that VHS to DVD was, but it sounds like it is going to be a big enough of improvement that it will eventually become the new standard. Why wouldn't it? Both HD-DVD/Blu-ray sounds like they are going to be backward compatable with DVD, once the players become more affordable why woouldn't someone buy one of them instead of a DVD player? I'm sure it's going to take years, once they are both released, for a winner to be crowned and for it to become the new standard.
Old 02-02-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it could eventually take over in 2-3 years because of the backwards compatibilty and the fact the prices for the discs are so close. Once the Blu-Ray players are $100 why not get one. You don't have to replace all your DVDs, but you can simply move over to Blu-Ray for about the same prices we were paying before.
Old 02-03-06, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I think it could eventually take over in 2-3 years because of the backwards compatibilty and the fact the prices for the discs are so close. Once the Blu-Ray players are $100 why not get one. You don't have to replace all your DVDs, but you can simply move over to Blu-Ray for about the same prices we were paying before.
I'm actually hoping that's the case. I'll only replace select titles with the HD versions, mainly just my very favorite movies, but for the vast majority I'll just hold on to the standard DVD. But why not start buying new releases and catalog titles you don't already own in HD? If the prices are comparable for players and movies to what we're paying today, and if the selection is good, I think it'll be the way to go. I just hope it's actually within 3 years that it becomes mainstream. I don't feel real hopeful about the situation now, but am hoping to be wrong.
Old 02-03-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've thought about just buying the HD versions now since I will probably get a player down the road, but there is just no way I could wait 2 years to watch a movie and would end up breaking down and paying $700 for a damn HD player. Not to mention I really like being able to watch movies and TV shows on my laptop or converting them for my PDA or Play Yan. I don't really want to be restricted to only my HDTV for movie watching.
Old 02-04-06, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I have an HDTV, but only in the living room. I'm in no hurry to jump on board with HD-DVD as the broadcast HD programing hasn't exactly blown me away. (sorry, but as great as sports look in HD I have no problem watching them or anything else in SD) I think the chances of Blu-Ray having a major impact on DVD are slim. At least for the next few years.

For one if I buy a DVD I can watch it in any room in the house, on my laptop and its very easy to convert it to watch on my PDA and on my Play-Yan.

If I get a Blu-Ray player I can watch it in my living room and that is it. I doubt I will have the budget to put HDTVs all over the house not to mention Blu-Ray players. I just see no reason to even consider HD-DVD in 2006. I guess I just invested to much in DVD to want to switch.

As far as articles announcing the death of DVD, I remember reading many about the death of the CD ten years ago. CDs are doing pretty well for a dead format.
That's what I tried to say, buy it made no sense. :/

I have dvd players all over the house.
Old 02-04-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I went through a couple pages and didn't see it...do we know a rough estimate of how much HD-DVD's will cost?

= J
Old 02-04-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Well, I went through a couple pages and didn't see it...do we know a rough estimate of how much HD-DVD's will cost?

= J
I've read between $5 and $10 over standard DVD.
Old 02-04-06, 05:28 PM
Cool New Member

Is standard DVD kaput?

No.
Old 02-17-06, 09:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
i guess this question will be best answered by the end of this year. i really hate change!
Old 02-18-06, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I remember reading somewhere, TheDigitalBits I think, that a digital master has approx. 2000 lines of resolution. So standard DVD would be 25% of the quality of the master and hi-def would be 50%. Why not just skip hi-def and go straight to a 2000 line format?

Because they've already started the machine this is HD, and I'm down. Welcome to the machine...
Old 02-18-06, 04:02 AM
Banned

I'm can't wait until others start to upgrade their collections so that I can buy all their high-priced Criterion DVDs for $1 each...the same way that I get marginal VHS titles for .50-$1 now. That way everybody is happy!!

Besides...by the time all the new technology is in place, my senses will probably have deteriorated to the point that I wouldn't notice the improved picture/sound anyway.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-18-06 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-18-06, 04:26 AM

DVDs here are so cheap now. As soon as HDDVD comes out, they'll be even cheaper. It's so awesome.
Old 05-20-06, 07:12 PM

i'm so glad standard DVD's aren't slowing down in the least and good ones are planned into 2007.

has the new medium even blown anyone away yet?
Old 05-20-06, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When and if the price comes down there would probably be more popularity. I'm not paying $31 or whatnot for a dang quesadilla... I mean HD-DVD.
Old 05-20-06, 09:18 PM

it will make no impact on me whatsoever.. only thing i really buy now adays is disney & tv shows.. eveyrthing else = netflix
Old 05-20-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i
has the new medium even blown anyone away yet?
It has really impressed me and at first I was going to be one that waiting and stuck with DVD for a lot longer. However, it will be a long, long time before standard DVDs get diminished for HD releases. Seeing is believing though and I am transitioning more of my purchases to HD than I originally thought I would. I definitely won't jump on board with Blu-ray this year though so standard DVD will still be a big part of my movie buying.

Last edited by darkside; 05-20-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my dvds are horror movies from the 60s-80s. I don't anticipate having to replace them any time soon. However, once the new format is affordable to me, I will have no problem selling my SD-DVDs of the more popular titles and upgrading them to Blu-Ray.
Old 05-21-06, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll still be buying some dvds, but only those from the BD studios. Any titles from WB, Paramount, and Universal that interest me will be purchased on HD-DVD.
Old 05-21-06, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I'm can't wait until others start to upgrade their collections so that I can buy all their high-priced Criterion DVDs for $1 each...
ok...ok, i'll give you my "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" for $2.00. Doesn't make sense to keep them since they are obselete now...oh wait.
Old 05-21-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You laugh, but if any of those titles are recycled, which they probably won't be, the "value" of the the current DVD would plummet. The ones you cited are extreme cases of course.
Old 05-21-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I didnt think my dvd spending would go down much, but it has, and it will get less and less, and I wont have either BR or HD until the end of the year. Ive seen it now, and know that I want an HD player, and I would have one by now if I didnt have so many other commitments coming up. But the fact that it is as good as it is and knowing its out there, really makes my not want to buy much more on SDVD.
Old 05-21-06, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
You laugh, but if any of those titles are recycled, which they probably won't be, the "value" of the the current DVD would plummet. The ones you cited are extreme cases of course.
i know if rare SDVD's are released on the HD format then the value will go down, but really what are the chances of that when 'they' didn't see fit to re-release or give another edition on SDVD? like think of the rare DVD's...the Criterions, Little Shop, Swamp Thing...those are not likely to see any other format ever...most likely that is.
Old 05-21-06, 08:12 PM

I for one will not be buying any HD-DVD/Blue Ray DVD's until the war is over and there is a clear cut winner. There can be only one format......
Old 05-21-06, 08:52 PM
boe
Suspended

I love reading these posts. There are a few who say it doesn't matter that much to them, then there are others who are anxious for the new format. There is the last bunch who I can picture putting their hands on their ears yelling LALALA LA I can't hear you! My DVD collection can't get any better with the new format!!!

Some people really get upset/insulted by the new format as if they are angry better technology is coming out. Some act as if they hope the new technology will go away/never catch on - that it is just a niche/fad thing! I think they might be considered a fad as much as DVD - yes HD/BR won't be here forever because there will always be another format improvement. DVDs are great but it is time for BETTER. I can hear their disjointed cries of anguish now - D$@n it! I don't want HD to catch on since I have a 13" TV and if I can't enjoy the better format no one should! Since I don't have a big HD TV right now then no one else in the world deserves a better format! (read through the many threads - believe it or not you'll hear very similar statements - I kid you not! - OK I threw in the part about everyone else not deserving but that is how their statements basically come out!)

I do look forward to the new technology but, in order to hold off on double dipping for equipment and films, I'll wait for the second gen equipment that includes DTS-HD and Dolby Digital Plus decoding so that I can get great video AND audio improvements over DVDs. Hell, if they could coincide that with 1080p at 60FPS that would be great! Of course I'll have to buy a new TV (hopefully 2nd gen SED by then), preamp, dvd player and many movies that year, I don't mind at all. Am I looking forward to spending the money - NO! Am I looking forward to having extremely well crafted movies - YOU BET!!!!

Lastly - some act as if they are being held at gunpoint to replace their collection because of the new format. I have a small collection compared to most - only around 400 titles - about 500 DVDs if you included TV shows. When the DTS-HD BR/HD dvds become available I'll probably only double dip on about 50 titles. I think if the studios were smart, they'd encourage double dipping by offering $5 trade-ins on the old DVDs. They'd still make money even if they didn't get the old DVD but then they could sell these DVDs at the same price as bootleg DVDs in other countries - taking a chunk out of the loss by these bootleggers.

Last edited by boe; 05-22-06 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-21-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well you know how I feel about original audio mixes. And so far Warner appears to be doing what they do on alot of their catalog dvd releases. Only offering the English remix as the only option(besides french etc choices). I never upgraded to the SE of Blazing Saddles because of the lack of original audo mix. And the HD release is basically the SE release in HD and that is all,but no original mono mix included.

And since alot of my favorite films happen to be made in mono and or stereo. Having the original audio option is very important to myself. And so far I see no reason why they would exclude them considering the higher quality and more space they hype up on the format.

That and the availability of better selection of titles will be my deciding factor in when to jump on the HD wagon. Also better prices for that matter.

Until then,I'm satisfied with my dvds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.