DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   So I want to get into the Stargate SG-1 series on DVD... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/450667-so-i-want-get-into-stargate-sg-1-series-dvd.html)

alfonsosoriano 01-02-06 10:36 AM

So I want to get into the Stargate SG-1 series on DVD...

My friend told me it was a good show, and I rented and liked the movie Stargate. Now I want to get into the show, and should start at season one obviously. I'm just wondering what a good price would be to pay on season one. I noticed it isn't available in that buy 1 get 1 from Best Buy. Is $25 used a good price to pay for it?

Thanks...

darkshadowdog 01-02-06 10:40 AM

Sounds good to me, I think I payed around $35-40 for mine.

AOD 01-02-06 11:25 AM

That's a pretty good price used, or you could spend about 5-10 more to buy new (depending where you get it). You will not regret getting into this series if you like the science fiction genre. It is the greatest Sci-Fi show on tv period (with the now defunct "Firefly" in a close second). As of right now, it is the longest running sci-fi show in tv history, with season 10 in the works. Why? Becuase it has the fan base to support it. The show really gets going around the third season. There are many other people who would also recommend this series on dvd. All IMHO of course.

Erreth 01-02-06 11:51 AM

Your best choice would be to open a TV Edition account over at Columbia House . Both Season one and two are available for enrollment selections and by using codes you can get the total down to $9.99 + tax.

With only 2 fulfilment titles needed to close the account you'll spend about $45, again if you wait for deals like BOGOF or free shipping you can lower that price a little or get more selections. Head over to the bargain forum/DVD Club section for more info.

My last two TV accounts ended up right around $60.00 total. Two season sets and 4 movies since I did them during BOGOF sales.

madara 01-02-06 12:31 PM

At this point may want wait for HD versions that hopefully address some bad discs, crappy transfers and edited out eps.

jmj713 01-02-06 01:23 PM

Amazon has a sale where you buy two seasons and get $20 off.

The Cow 01-02-06 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by madara
At this point may want wait for HD versions that hopefully address some bad discs, crappy transfers and edited out eps.

You really think Stargate will come out anytime soon on HD-DVD??? And at a price you'd be willing to pay?

The transfers in the first season are just fine and not edited. OP, they price you mentioned is pretty good, go for it.

John Sinnott 01-02-06 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by madara
At this point may want wait for HD versions

rotfl

Are you enjoying all of those HD discs that were released at the end of 2005 Madara? Oh yeah, that's right. They didn't release any they pushed the date back.

Don't wait. Who knows when or if they'll ever be released in a higher format, or at what price.

alfonsosoriano 01-02-06 05:26 PM

lol, HD...

mrcoaster 01-02-06 06:13 PM

Definitely pick up the DVDs now. When HD discs finally do come out, I'm pretty darn sure that SG-1 is not going to be the priority for release. It may be a very long time before they'd come out...if ever.

You can find most of the older seasons for a reasonable price, go ahead and pick those up and get started watching. I own the whole series on DVD and have loved watching it over the years.

Dmacsg1 01-02-06 06:14 PM

I highly recommend SG1!! Now SG1 is like every other series in that each season has it's not so good episodes but it is really great ride once you start!

Atlantis is a great series too but I recommend starting it after viewing the first two episodes of season 8 of SG1.

I also agree with a previous poster and recommend the Coulmbia House TV on DVD club. You can get a real good deal on the first couple of seasons!

Take care all!!

John*D 01-02-06 07:20 PM

You really think Stargate will come out anytime soon on HD-DVD???
EXACTLY!! Also, considering that MGM is now a subsidiary of SONY, it would be BLU-RAY not HD-DVD. Besides that is most likely years off and if SG-1 was NOT done with film (?) then wtf would it matter. Not to mention waiting many years for releases. Anyone suggesting that someone should wait 5? years for something that will have a minimum of benefit doesn't make sense. JMHO.

--------------

alfonsosoriano,

Start off by buying Season 1 and Season 2 at AMAZON.com

Both are $36.99 each and with the B2G $20 off sale that makes it $26.99 each BRAND NEW. There is also the 1.57% discount with A9.com and no tax and free shipping. If you want more seasons, the rest are included in the sale with the same price, with the exception of season 8 being $41.99. You'll have to enter the coupon code, SPHETVSALEDJ to get the discount. Not sure if it will work on multiple purchases or if you would have to buy them in one order to get a discount on more than 2 sets. Otherwise just create more than one amazon account.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...Fencoding=UTF8

* Better off using the AMAZON.com route than buying a used copy for $25, IMO. Good luck!

p.s. - I have all 8 seasons of SG-1! Great show and I'm glad its coming back for a 10th season, X-FILES is now BUMPED!!! Once you catch up with SG-1, definitely look into Atlantis. ENJOY!!!!

Season 9 returns to SCIFI on JANUARY 5th. WOOT!!!

dsa_shea 01-03-06 08:52 AM

Jump in on the Best Buy B1G1 Free deal. Swoop all of them up if you have the money.

alfonsosoriano 01-03-06 10:08 AM

The thing is, I might just want to buy season 1 for now and see how much I like it before I drop all the money on more than the first season. I've been seeing alot of sales on these sets lately, so I would think they would continue in the future.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

forumsmy 01-03-06 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
The thing is, I might just want to buy season 1 for now and see how much I like it before I drop all the money on more than the first season. I've been seeing alot of sales on these sets lately, so I would think they would continue in the future.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

A suggestion, like other above have said -- do the B1G1 deal
.......and that will put you ahead if you decide to continue, also will save you money if you decide to continue and will end up with new sets rather than "used" for the same or better than "used" prices. Plus if you do decide to continue, you have the next season ready to go while waiting for good deals on the rest of the seasons.

It is hedging your bets, but I would bet you are going to wish you did :) IMHO.

alfonsosoriano 01-03-06 11:16 AM

I don't think season 1 of SG-1 is in the B1G1 sale. If it were, I'd probably surely do that.

AOD 01-03-06 08:21 PM

It's great you are trying to get into it, but it really starts to get going around the third season. I, personally, was hooked because of the movie. With the Amazon $20 off two sets sale, that would make it a rock bottom price to hard to pass up. As far as BB, you are correct in stating season 1 is not included in the B1G1 sale, but all the other seasons are (including S8). You could make out like a bandit and get S1 and S2 from Amazon with the codes posted by John*D above and get any other seasons from BB with the B1G1. That's only good until 2/11/06 though. If you're a reward zone member, they just sent out 10% off coupons for dvds too. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. You will not regret getting these. Trust me. Here's a link to the B1G1 from BB.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat79000050018

forumsmy 01-03-06 09:05 PM

I don't think season 1 of SG-1 is in the B1G1 sale. If it were, I'd probably surely do that.

Sorry - my bad. I thought I saw all of them there - just checked and - the Season 1 was Vol 1 :hscratch:

Sorry and thanks for I missed that.

spawndude 01-03-06 10:01 PM

Wish you could have gotten in on the DDD B1G1F deal.
Came to about $17 each. About $139 for season 1-8

lordwow 01-03-06 10:08 PM

I was waiting for HD too, then I decided that I wasn't going to wait until the end of time.

John*D 01-03-06 10:50 PM

According to the BB prices for January 8 - January 14 thread...

Season 1 will be included in the sale then, at least according to the ad.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=450874

alfonsosoriano 01-04-06 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by John*D
According to the BB prices for January 8 - January 14 thread...

Season 1 will be included in the sale then, at least according to the ad.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=450874

We'll have to see. If it is involved, I'd defintely go that route. It might be volume 1 like it is online though, and a mistake on part of the poster.

I wish I was interested back during the DDD sale, but oh well.

speedy1961 01-04-06 09:46 AM

We'll have to see. If it is involved, I'd defintely go that route. It might be volume 1 like it is online though, and a mistake on part of the poster.

I wish I was interested back during the DDD sale, but oh well.

Here's the exact wording from the ad:

Special DVD Box Set Sale >>>> Buy 1, Get One Free of equal or lesser value:

(note prices..... lower than what is going on NOW at least on Seinfeld)

Ad states over 45 titles to choose from.....

Pictured Sets & Prices:

Married With Children: All Seasons >>>> $24.99 each
King of Queens: All Seasons >>>> $24.99 each
Rescue Me: Season 1 >>>> $34.99 each
Seinfeld: All Seasons >>>> $34.99 each
Dawson's Creek: All Seasons >>>> $34.99 each
Stargate SG-1: All Seasons >>>> $39.99 each

Also choose from seasons of Sanford & Son, Good Times, The Outer Limits (New), NewsRadio, All In The Family and SOAP.

Offer applies to all available seasons of titles listed and shown.

Must be purchased on same receipt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will check closer for you when I get home tonight alfonsosoriano.

alfonsosoriano 01-04-06 10:04 AM

Awesome man, awesome.

Demontooth 01-04-06 03:18 PM

We have all 8 seasons on DVD. I love this frickin' show. Luckily, my wife and daughter love it also. We watched around 50 episodes while we were off work during XMas break. If you are a member of Sam's Club they have the first 7 seasons for $29.99 each.