Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What would you like to see on "The Producers: The Great Big Broadway Flop Edition"?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What would you like to see on "The Producers: The Great Big Broadway Flop Edition"?

Old 01-01-06, 05:44 AM
Cool New Member

Note: My title is simply making fun of titles such as Wedding Crashers Uncorked Edition and the others.

I'd definately want King of Broadway reinserted into the film. It must have been filmed since it was rerecorded (minus the line "...I'm Max Bialistock, the first man ever to do Summerstock in the Winter. You've all heard of Theater in the Round? You're looking at the man who invented theater in the square... NOBODY had a good seat!" It goes right to the Boris Tomashevsky bit.), the hobos are in the last part of the film, and it is featured as a bonus on the soundtrack. I question how far it got into post production, though, because the King of Broadway line in Betrayed was featured in neither the film nor the soundtrack. But anyway, there is a glaring crossfade cut at the end of Opening Night where it is obviously missing.

I've also heard that Mel Brooks has a professional copy of the original cast performing the play (with audience reation and all) and I would KILL to have that as an extra.

Commentary from Brooks/Lane/Broderick is a must as well.

Thoughts?
Old 01-01-06, 10:24 PM

"King of Broadway" is a MUST for inclusion. It was filmed but I heard that it was cut because the information about Max Bialystock in the song is only reinforced in the next scene. I missed the number and think that if the film had included it the audience would know right away that this film was indeed a musical comedy. It starts out the show in such a slam bang way that I was sad to see it gone.

Other things I'd like to see in deleted scenes are the scenes with the two old ladies that were obviously cut from "Along Came Bialy". Andrea Martin and Debra Monk are credited at the end of the film, but are hardly seen in the theatrical release except for as chorus members within the number. I saw the UK trailer on the sony.co.uk site for the film and there is a scene with Monk getting a hot dog, and in the US trailer you can see Max yelling "I LOVE YOU!!" to Martin through an ear horn on a park bench. In the context of the story, Max is going out to woo old ladies for money for "Springtime for Hitler", yet the number loses all of its punch because it is truncated severely and you never see him romancing any of these rich ladies. Hopefully they can re-instate this on DVD.

It's too bad that the film isn't doing so great at the box office. I enjoyed it very much, but it seems to be one of those movies that people either like, or hate....without much middle ground.
Old 01-01-06, 10:52 PM

I haven't seen the original yet, but this 'remake' was great.
Old 01-02-06, 03:44 AM
Cool New Member

The screenage of this movie is rediculous! I just drove 4 hours from my family's apartment in Boardman, OH back to college at Ohio University in Athens, OH. In the Boardman/Youngstown/Austintown/Niles area there are 3 Regal Cinemas, 2 independant theaters, and 2 Cinemarks. Of those, only the Cinemark Tinseltown has The Producers (where I've seen it twice now). I drove past quite a few theaters on the way down here and only ONE more theater had the movie, another Cinemark Tinseltown. There are 3 theaters down here in the Athens area and ZERO have the film.

This is a wide release? Ha!
Old 01-02-06, 04:02 AM
Cool New Member

That explains a LOT. FAndango has had this as opening wide on Christmas, but January 13th is the day it really opens wide. Thank god, I am looking forward to seeing this quite a few more times.
Old 01-02-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

King of Broadway not being in the movie was one of the reasons I hated it... I'd like to see that on disc and maybe a commentary, but this will definitely be a rental for me since I was so disappointed with it...

MATT
Old 01-02-06, 12:02 PM

I think "The Producers: Keep It Gay Edition" would be better.
Old 01-02-06, 05:28 PM

I really liked this film. I have seen it twice now and both times the theatre was full. Many people don't know that they should stay until the credits are over because there is still another bit that follows the credits. I've seen the show on Broadway and on tour and I didn't really miss "The King of Broadway" or "Where Did We Go Right?" but I did miss some of the lines that were in the play, such as when Ulla tidies up the office. In the play, Max asks her when did she find the time to do all that and she says, "Intermission". In the movie, there is no intermission and the line is changed to, "I skipped lunch", which wasn't as funny. Overall, though, the film is a good representation of the broadway show.
Old 01-02-06, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

I agree on both parts. The first time only a handful stayed for "Goodbye!" and the second time it was only me. I did notice that Will Ferrell's number "The Hop Clop Goes On" is extended in the credits more than on the soundtrack. On the ST he says that you know who's book is available "near you", but in the credits it's "available now... in paperback... at Boarders bookstores... Barnes & Noble... and Amazon dot com...".

And I love(!) There's Nothing Like A Show On Broadway.

IMO, There should have been a 30 second or so intermission screen with a countdown just to keep that joke as well as the intermission joke in Betrayed.

I also would have loved for KoB to be included (see above posts, lol) but the film felt complete without it. The only thing I truly missed was Ulla's "Bialystock and Bloom... Bialystock and Bloom..." right before the Springtime medley in Along Came Bialy. The pre-nonexistant-intermission musical outro just felt... butchered... without it.
Old 01-02-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
I think "The Producers: Keep It Gay Edition" would be better.
Old 01-02-06, 08:48 PM

A few days after I saw the film, I was in NYC for the holidays and I revisited the Broadway show a few days before Christmas. The current Broadway Max, John Treacy Egan and current Broadway Carmen Ghia, Jai Rodriguez (from "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy") are in the film. Egan is in the ensemble ("Opening Night") and Rodriguez plays Sabu in the "Keep it Gay" number. Gary Beach, who won the Tony for the role of Roger DeBris in the play and has the same role in the film, is back playing Roger in the Broadway show.

Richard Kind and Brad Oscar who have also played Max on Broadway, are in the film. Kind plays the jury foreman and Oscar (Max on Broadway and London and the original Broadway Franz) plays a taxi driver in the film.
Old 02-23-06, 03:21 PM

I definately want King of Broadway restored to the film. On Ellen, when she had the Producers special, Nathan stated how upset he was that it was cut, as he felt he did a great performance of the song on film. I have the feeling it will be an "uncut" or "extended" version on dvd. Sad the Academy bypassed Mel's great song NOTHING LIKE A SHOW ON BROADWAY. It's an awesome number, and would have been fun to see performed on the awards. They didn't even give it a nomination for art direction, which I thought was great.

I noticed that BETRAYED in the movie theater really bombed out, I saw the film 5 times, each time the auditorium was full, and that's when they started fidgiting. I never cared much for a song that tells you everything that's happened so far. I think King of Broadway was much more important.

I am having trouble with many of the reviews for the film. It says they just taped the Broadway show. But they used New York, Central Park, the nursing home scene.......Iwhile I found it VERY close to the show, it was a movie not a taped play. I still think someone like Rob Marshall(Chicago director) could have added much to the film version. Stro had never made a movie...does anyone know if Mel let her do it free-will or if he was there to assist her?

I really liked this movie. I think the soundtrack is much better than the Broadway cd, the orchestra is huge and it sounds so good. I can't wait for this dvd...I have the feeling I will be watching it over and over. When they announced a film version, I knew in the back of my head that this would never go over with today's movie audiences. It really is sophisticated humor much of the time, and many movie-goers today have made, in the past few weeks, Big Momma's House and Date Movie number one (oy vey). Go figure

Woiw, so Mel has a professional tape....I really am surprised that he didn't just release that...the Sondheim shows are all taped and they do very well, that would have been great!
Old 02-23-06, 06:09 PM
Banned

There is already a thread with the rumored release date for this DVD:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=456070
Old 02-23-06, 07:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Mel wasnt on the set very much because his wife was sick. I have a feeling he would have helped immensily if available.
Old 03-07-06, 07:03 PM

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...roducers7.html

Specs and coverart.