DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What Classic Titles will Warner Bros release in 2006? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/450154-what-classic-titles-will-warner-bros-release-2006-a.html)

Deco King 12-28-05 10:09 AM

What Classic Titles will Warner Bros release in 2006?

What classic titles are Warner Bros due to release on DVD in 2006?

Cameron 12-28-05 04:03 PM

so far...

Green Pastures
Hallalujah
Cabin in the Sky
Sam Peckinpah Box set
Nun's Story
Shoes of the Fisherman
Contreversial Classics 2: Network, Dog Day Afternoon, All the Presiden'ts men
TCM Archives: Laurel & Hardy Collection
The Busby Berkely Collection

Rumored but no date
John Ford Box Set
The Searchers
Stagecoach
Clark Gable Box Set
The Jazz Singer
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 4
Film Noir Box3
Gangsters Box 2
Astaire & Rodgers Box 2
Stanley Kubrick Box Set
Forbidden Planet 2 Disc SE
Greed
Champagne (Hitchcock)

John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy"

Peckinpah Western Box Set on 01/10/2006

Warner to release a number of racially sensitive dvd's 01.10.06

When please will Warner Bros release the Busby Berkeley Boxset (march 21, 2006)

Films of Faith Collection (Warner Box) 04.04.06 Nun's Story, Shoes of the Fisherman

TCM Archives: The Laurel And Hardy Collection 04.18.06

New Kubrick DVD set being released?

WBs Controversial Classics 2: The Power of Media ---->2/28/06

New Warner 2Disc Special Editions for Network and Dog Day Afternoon 2/28/2006

Warner to finally release the jazz singer fully restored (no date yet)

My I also bring these to light once again for consideration...

Carbine Williams on DVD when? Jimmy Stewart 1952

Executive Suite 1954? Warner Brothers Desicion still not out.

Mr. Cinema 12-28-05 05:32 PM

I keep hearing rumors of SE's for The Maltese Falcon and Key Largo.

Neeb 12-28-05 07:57 PM

Any word on Zabriske Point or the 1953 (?) version of Porgy and Bess?

Cameron 12-28-05 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I keep hearing rumors of SE's for The Maltese Falcon and Key Largo.

I have been hearing some rumblings on those as well. Revamps of the Bogart titles. Since they canceled the Bogart/Bacall box earlier in the year, I am hoping for some nice reissues.

DVD Josh 12-28-05 10:41 PM

Cam, are you sure about Forgotten Planet? That SE has more rumors attached to it than Blade Runner.

Charlie_Chaplin 12-28-05 11:25 PM

Dont forget the twice delayed Tenneesee Williams Boxset!

Eagerly Awating to Buy:
The Wild Bunch
Network
A Streetcar Named Desire
The Busby Berkeley Collection

Hopefuls:
Bogart Boxset (The Maltese Falcon SE, The Big Sleep SE, To Have and Have Not; Keepcase, Key Largo SE, High Sierra SE)

Classic Silents Boxset (Greed, The Crowd, The Big Parade)

Pre-Code Boxset (hopefully the newly discovered and preserved in the National Film Registry print of Baby Face)

John Ford Signature Collection (The Informer, The Searchers SE, Stagecoach SE, 3 Godfathers, Mogambo)

Stanley Kubrick Boxset (2001: A Space Odyssey SE, A Clockwork Orange SE, Barry Lyndon SE, Full Metal Jacket SE, Eyes Wide Shut SE, The Shining SE, Lolita SE)

Clark Gable Signature Collection

Jean Harlow Signature Collection

WB Gangsters Vol 2

Astaire and Rogers Vol 2 (Flying Down to Rio!)

Forbidden Planet 50th Anniversary SE

Cameron 12-29-05 12:57 AM

good call, and a link to go with it.

Tennessee Williams Film Collection 04.11.06 Streetcar SE, Night of the Iguana more

also Miss Marple Box Set and Ten Little Indians

Miss Marple Movies Collection ---->3/14/2006

Cameron 01-01-06 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Cam, are you sure about Forgotten Planet? That SE has more rumors attached to it than Blade Runner.

regarding Forbidden Planet. I still only list this as a rumor at this point, but a few variables to consider, most important is that the current WB disc has gone OOP. Warner historically has not kept their previously released titles on moratorium for very long. 2006 will mark the 50th anniversary for the film....seems logical that this is what they were holding out for. A High Def transfer has been showing on cable for months now, so most of the work is already finished. I can also see this showing up in a box set with some other Warner Sci Fi Gems, and the newly created documentary Watch The Skies that has been running on TCM. (It actually airs 01.01.06)

might take a look at these threads as well.

What Warner Brothers Sci Fi do you want to see on dvd?

Forbidden Planet SE 12/31/2005???

yeldarb367 01-01-06 11:33 AM

New Bogart and Kubrick boxed sets would be great.

natevines 01-01-06 01:23 PM

You guys also forgot:
Lust for Life
Captains Courageous
Kitty Foyle
Johnny Belinda
Cimmaron
The Good Earth
The Champ

All coming on the 31st, and I'll be getting all but 2. Also the Tennesee Williams collection in April, but that's not my thing.

Charlie_Chaplin 01-01-06 01:37 PM

Tennesee Williams was pushed to May 2.

Cameron 01-04-06 12:24 AM

Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Collection

It’s Always Fair Weather (1955)
Summer Stock (1950)
Three Little Words (1950)
Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)
Ziegfeld Follies

bigsugar316 01-04-06 03:10 AM

I'd like to see a Bogart box set with some of the lesser-known Bogart titles. Warner still has a lot of Bogart titles that haven't made it to DVD yet. There's some good ones still, and some "ok" ones that should be on DVD nonetheless. Bullets or Ballots (1936, Black Legion (1937), Marked Woman (1937), The Oklahoma Kid (1939), Across the Pacific (1942), Action in the North Atlantic (1943), Passage to Marseille (1944), Conflict (1945) to name a few.

Cameron 01-05-06 01:54 AM

^agreed. I think some will come along in a new gangsters set, but a new bogart set would be nice.

gryffinmaster 01-05-06 10:41 AM

It's an anniversary year for Maltese Falcon (65th - 1941). That might push it to this year - which would be great.

Jaymole 01-05-06 10:50 AM

I'd love to see a Humphrey Bogart box set with an SE of The Maltese Falcon. Warners had mentioned that they would be releasing a Bogart set sometime in the future, I hope the future is 2006.

And a box set of 30's & 40's horror would be a great idea for Warners:

The Mask of Fu Manchu
Mark of the Vampire
Devil Doll
Mad Love
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Walking Dead

Giles 01-05-06 11:14 AM

I thought I had read that a Special edition of Ken Russell's The Devils was in the works and slated for an eventual 2006 release.

Neeb 01-05-06 07:45 PM

Although I'm reeeeeeaallly pushing the definition of 'classic,' wasn't there talk of a Tim Burton Box Set a few years back?
It would have included Beetlejuice (which is 18 yrs old- remake candidate by Hollywood standards), Batman, Mars Attacks, and a few others.
Anyone know he status of this?

Skoobooz 01-05-06 07:57 PM

I think there may have always been a lot of speculation about a Tim Burton box set, given that most of his movies are WB properties, but I'm not sure if there's ever been any actual validity to it.

Of course, it would be a great box set: new SEs of Beetlejuice and Mars Attacks!, keepcase release for the current edition of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, the new Batman/Batman Returns SEs, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride. Sounds box set-worthy to me.

William Fuld 01-05-06 08:05 PM

Every wave of classics from Warners seems to include films from Vincente Minnelli, and deservedly so. I'm surprised they didn't just do a boxed set.

Cameron 02-07-06 02:07 AM

i had not seen the whole thing trascribed over here yet...so from the bits

Now then... let's talk titles. Warner claims to have invented the 2-disc special edition with their 2001 DVD release of Orson Welles' Citizen Kane. They plan to continue their line of 2-disc special editions in 2006. All of these titles will feature newly-remastered HD transfers (and again, many will be released simultaneously in HD-DVD):

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - with a new feature-length documentary and audio commentaries

Forbidden Planet (1956) - with a new feature-length documentary

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - packaged with The Maltese Falcon - Dangerous Female (1931) and Satan Met a Lady (1936)

The Dirty Dozen (1967)

Look for 4 new Stanley Kubrick SEs including 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Shining (1980) and the original unrated version Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Each will include new documentaries and never-before-seen footage blessed by the Kubrick Estate (although don't look for deleted scenes - Stanley himself never wanted them released).

There's a new John Wayne/John Ford Collection on the way, which will include The Searchers: 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition (1956), along with a Stagecoach: Two-Disc Special Edition (1939), Fort Apache (1948), The Long Voyage Home (1940), The Wings of Eagles (1957), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), They Were Expendable (1945) and 3 Godfathers (1948).

There's also The John Ford Collection that will include The Lost Patrol (1934), The Informer (1935), Cheyenne Autumn (1964), Mary of Scotland (1936) and Sergeant Rutledge (1960).

Now... here's a look at some more of the 200 new-to-DVD titles coming in 2006:

Grand Prix: 2-Disc Special Edition (1966)

The Astaire and Rogers Collection, Volume 2 - featuring Flying Down to Rio (1933), The Gay Divorcee (1934), Roberta (1935), Carefree (1938) and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)

The Busby Berkley Collection - featuring Footlight Parade (1933), Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933), Dames (1934) and Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)

The Warner Tough Guys Collection - featuring 'G' Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), San Quentin (1937), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), Each Dawn I Die (1939) and City for Conquest (1940)

Knute Rockne All American (1940) - just for you Notre Dame alumni!

The Marlon Brando Signature Collection - featuring Julius Ceasar (1953), Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967) and The Formula (1980)

The Bette Davis Collection, Volume 2 - including a new Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: Two-Disc Special Edition (1962 - with new and vintage documentaries and never-before-seen footage), Jezebel (1938), Old Acquaintance (1943), Marked Woman (1937) and The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942).

The Lucy and Desi Collection (due 5/9, SRP $29.92) - featuring The Long, Long Trailer (1954), Forever, Darling (1955) and Too Many Girls (1940)

The Tennessee Williams Film Collection (due 5/2, SRP $79.92) - featuring A Streetcar Named Desire: Two-Disc Special Edition (1951), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Deluxe Edition (1958), Sweet Bird of Youth (1962), Baby Doll (1956), The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) and The Night of the Iguana (1964).

Additional DVD box sets will be released featuring (known titles listed as follows, but more are TBA):

Clark Gable - including Mogambo (1953), Dancing Lady (1933) and Boom Town (1940)

James Stewart - including The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) and The Naked Spur (1953)

Humphrey Bogart - including Passage to Marseille (1944), Action in the North Atlantic (1943) and Across the Pacific (1942)

More Film Nior titles including Lady in the Lake (1947)

Paul Newman

Taylor & Burton

Gary Cooper - including Sergeant York (1941) and The Hanging Tree (1959)

Already announced for 4/18 is a TCM Archives: The Laurel and Hardy Collection (SRP $39.92), including Bonnie Scotland and The Devil's Brother (both 1933), along with vintage excerpts and the Added Attractions: The Hollywood Shorts Story feature-length documentary.

On 4/25, look for the Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Collection (SRP $59.92) including It's Always Fair Weather (1955), Summer Stock (1950), Three Little Words (1950), Til the Clouds Roll By (1946) and Ziegfeld Follies (1946).

TCM Achives will also release a whole new series of Forbidden Hollywood Collections. The first release will include Baby Face (1933), Red Headed Woman (1932) and Waterloo Bridge (1931 - unseen since its original theatrical release) along with a new feature-length TCM documentary.

Warner is also going to launch a new series of Ultimate Collector's Editions, patterned after last year's deluxe version of King Kong. These will include tons of bonus features, books and booklets, production art cards, soundtrack CDs, souvenir programs and more.

The first of these will be John Wayne and John Ford's The Searchers (already mentioned above).

Late in 2006 (tentatively in November, timed to coincide with the DVD release of Bryan Singer's Superman Returns), look for a 14-disc Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set. This will feature new deluxe editions of all four of the original feature films, including a Superman II: Special Edition with something called The Donner Cut. This is being assembled by editor Michael Thaw based on the film's original shooting script and Donnor's original notes. At least 50% of the film will be footage you've never seen, more than 70% of it directed by Donner. You'll also get Richard Lester's final theatrical cut of the film. The Donner Cut will only be available on DVD in the Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, although it will also be released in HD-DVD (and likely Blu-ray Disc if that format is available).

We were actually shown a clip of the new Donner Cut at the event - the original opening to Superman II, in which Lois Lane notices a picture of Superman in a copy of The Daily Planet... and then she looks at Clark Kent standing nearby... and she begins drawing glasses, a suit and hat on the picture of Superman. She figures it out. Then she tells Clark she knows who he really is... and jumps out Perry White's office window to prove she's right. Clark runs at super-speed downstairs, and blows up at the falling Lois to slow her fall. She lands safely in a fruit stand, by which time Clark has already run back upstairs to preserve his identity. Someone asks him where Lois is, and he replies, "Uh... she just stepped out for a minute."

An interesting thing to note however, is that it seems Richard Donner himself hasn't yet been involved (and is not involved in cutting the new version of the film). During the event, I chatted with AICN's Drew McWeeny (well known as "Moriarty" over there) who told me that he's been interviewing Donner recently (watch for that to be posted on AICN soon). The director has reportedly told Drew that he's not really interested in revisiting the film. When asked during the event what Donner's involvement was (whether or not he'd do commentary, etc), Warner execs said, "That's still to be decided." Our guess is that the studio is still negotiating with Donner to participate, and that it's merely a matter of a dollar figure that everyone is happy with. Cross your fingers on this, because it'd be a real shame if he declined to be involved. FYI, IGN also has a brief interview with Donner that touches on this.

Some other interesting Warner release news... look for a movie-only version of King Kong to be released on 3/28 (SRP $14.97). That same day, Warner will package the Kong tin set together with Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong for SRP $49.92.

The studio is also continuing its series of Action and Family Double Feature DVD releases in 2006.

A Cool Hand Luke: Special Edition (1967) is tentatively being planned for 2007.

Quo Vadis (1951) is being considered for future DVD release, but the Technicolor classic is going to require Ultra-Resolution restoration. Given the film's length, that's going to take significant time and be VERY expensive.

And finally, here's a bit of news that's going to get a lot of you excited (and I made a point to specifically ask about this title, believe me)... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982) is currently on track for release as a multi-disc special edition in time for its 25th anniversary in 2007. The release is far from certain (as usual, there's a lot more that I can't post about this title yet - think of the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships"), but Warner says that work is proceeding, most of the key players are involved and things are "looking good" for release next year. We'll see.

At the conclusion of the event, I had the chance to speak with both Ronnee Sass and George Feltenstein directly. I've known Ronnee since the early days, and it turns out that George is a big reader of The Bits (we're glad to have you, George!). You'll be glad to know that George, Ronnee and some of their fellow WHV execs are going to be participating in another live online chat with The Home Theater Forum soon, so you'll have the chance to ask them questions of your own. I'll confirm the date with Ron and Parker and let you know. As always, we'll have the complete transcript here at The Bits the following morning.

bjackson 02-07-06 06:14 AM

Any word on the 1940 version of Waterloo Bridge starring Vivien Leigh and Robert Taylor?

Cameron 02-18-06 05:44 PM

and more from Barrie Maxwell

As revealed recently in one of Bill Hunt's daily updates on The Bits, Warner Bros. has ambitious plans for classic releases in 2006. If you missed it, you can read Bill's complete report here. I have, however, extracted the news of direct interest to classic fans and it's summarized below. There's no information on specific titles, content, or timing available beyond what's indicated.

As a follow-up to Bill's report, I queried Warner Bros. on a number of other specific titles of continuing interest to myself particularly and classic enthusiasts in general. As one might expect, Warners was not willing to release specific information at this time, but they did indicate that virtually all of the following titles are in the hopper, either under active consideration or in production: King's Row (Reagan, Sheridan), The Magnificent Ambersons, Journey into Fear (both Welles), Black Legion (Bogart), They Won't Forget (Rains), Manhattan Melodrama, The Secret Six, San Francisco (all Gable), Gentleman Jim, Virginia City, Silver River, Edge of Darkness (all Flynn), The Mortal Storm (Stewart), Confessions of a Nazi Spy (Robinson), Mission to Moscow (Huston), and Bowery Boys, Charlie Chan (the Monograms), and Andy Hardy series. It's all still vague information, I know, but promising nonetheless.

Now here's the summary of Bill's recent report on Warners' 2006 plans.

Two-disc Special Editions:

A Clockwork Orange (1971), The Dirty Dozen (1967), Forbidden Planet (1956, new feature-length documentary), Grand Prix (1967), The Maltese Falcon (1941, packaged with The Maltese Falcon [1931] and Satan Met a Lady [1936]), Mutiny on the Bounty (1962, new feature-length documentary and audio commentaries), and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968).

Box Sets:

Astaire and Rogers Collection, Volume 2 [Flying Down to Rio (1933), The Gay Divorcee (1934), Roberta (1935), Carefree (1938), and The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (1939)]. [This is understood to be an August release.]

Bette Davis Collection, Volume 2 [a new Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?: Two-Disc Special Edition (1962, with new and vintage documentaries and never-before-seen footage), Jezebel (1938), Old Acquaintance (1943), Marked Woman (1937), and The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)].

Forbidden Hollywood Collection: Volume One. The first release (from TCM Archives) will include Baby Face (1933), Red Headed Woman (1932) and Waterloo Bridge (1931, unseen since its original theatrical release) along with a new feature-length TCM documentary.

John Ford Collection [The Lost Patrol (1934), The Informer (1935), Cheyenne Autumn (1964), Mary of Scotland (1936) and Sergeant Rutledge (1960)]

John Wayne/John Ford Collection [The Searchers: 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition (1956), Stagecoach: Two-Disc Special Edition (1939), Fort Apache (1948), The Long Voyage Home (1940), The Wings of Eagles (1957), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), They Were Expendable (1945) and 3 Godfathers (1948)]

Marlon Brando Signature Collection [Julius Caesar (1953), Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967), and The Formula (1980)]

Warner Tough Guys Collection [G-Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), San Quentin (1937), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), Each Dawn I Die (1939), and City for Conquest (1940)]

Other Box Sets (film information incomplete at present):

Clark Gable [Mogambo (1953), Dancing Lady (1933), Boom Town (1940)], Film Noir [Lady in the Lake (1947)], Gary Cooper [Sergeant York (1941), The Hanging Tree (1959)], Humphrey Bogart [Passage to Marseille (1944), Action in the North Atlantic (1943), Across the Pacific (1942)], James Stewart [The Spirit of St. Louis (1957), The Naked Spur (1953)], Paul Newman Taylor & Burton [a new two-disc edition of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) is expected to highlight this box]

News on Single Releases:

Knute Rockne: All American (1940) in 2006 [perhaps a Ronald Reagan box set, as King's Row and Storm Warning are also believed to be in the works?], Quo Vadis (1951) is being considered for future DVD release, but the Technicolor classic is going to require Ultra-Resolution restoration. Given the film's length, that's going to take significant time and be VERY expensive. Cool Hand Luke: Special Edition (1967) is tentatively being planned for 2007.

Warner is also going to launch a new series of Ultimate Collector's Editions, patterned after last year's deluxe version of King Kong. These will include tons of bonus features, books and booklets, production art cards, soundtrack CDs, souvenir programs and more. The first of these will be John Wayne and John Ford's The Searchers (already mentioned above).

JOE29 02-18-06 09:05 PM

Any news of my classics that i'm waiting for, 100 Rifles ( with the awesome looking Raquel Welch! ) Broken Arrow- Jimmy Stewart, Rio Conchos, El Condor, Waterloo- Rod Steiger, El Cid?

natevines 02-18-06 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
Any news of my classics that i'm waiting for, 100 Rifles ( with the awesome looking Raquel Welch! ) Broken Arrow- Jimmy Stewart, Rio Conchos, El Condor, Waterloo- Rod Steiger, El Cid?

100 Rifles was announced, but I'm not sure that it's Warner...

illennium 02-18-06 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Now here's the summary of Bill's recent report on Warners' 2006 plans.

Great news about many of these titles. This just solidifies that in R1 land, there's Criterion and Warner... and then there's everyone else.

thing-fish24 02-18-06 10:01 PM

Warner Brothers is reportably interested in distributing the hard-to-find cult classic Coonskin for the first time officially on DVD. This was announced on the filmmaker's website.

Paul Drake 02-18-06 10:33 PM

Great news on the Andy Hardy and Charlie Chan (Monogram) titles.

Warners has a whole slew of 30s & 40s series titles that would be popular with collectors. Let's hope that some of them eventually make it out as well.

GOS 02-19-06 11:31 AM

I also read on the Digital Bits that Warner's plan a Paul Newman box set........I hope it includesThe Prize (1963) and Harper (1966) -pray-

Doc Moonlight 02-19-06 05:47 PM

I remember hearing talk of a 2 disc SE of BONNIE AND CLYDE. Hope it's true and that it has a commentary from director Arthur Penn.

Cameron 02-20-06 05:26 AM

also Deliverance could be coming before year end

Deliverance Special Edition Blurb ??.??.??

Cameron 03-22-06 06:45 PM

Clark Gable Box is coming

Giles 03-23-06 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by thing-fish24
Warner Brothers is reportably interested in distributing the hard-to-find cult classic Coonskin for the first time officially on DVD. This was announced on the filmmaker's website.

wonder if they retain the title or the alternate one: 'Street Fight'

NoirFan 03-23-06 10:10 PM

From www.DVDBeaver.com: "Warner's Film Noir Volume #3 will include:
Border Incident, His Kind of Woman, Lady in the Lake, On Dangerous Ground, and The Racket." No other info available at this point.

ShagMan 03-24-06 07:39 AM

I'm really looking forward to:

Grand Prix: 2-Disc Special Edition
Forbidden Planet
Stanley Kubrick box
A Clockwork Orange (1971) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) (in the SK box?)
Superman box
The Dirty Dozen (1967)

uebetan12@yahoo 03-24-06 07:24 PM

coming soon to dvd el cid {1961} from warner,later this year , by september

John Hodson 03-25-06 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by uebetan12@yahoo
coming soon to dvd el cid {1961} from warner,later this year , by september

Oh! Great stuff - what's your source for that info? :)