DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Buster Keaton Collection ----> 3/7/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/450152-buster-keaton-collection-3-7-06-a.html)

dx23 12-28-05 09:52 AM

Buster Keaton Collection ----> 3/7/06

From dvdactive.com:

Title: Buster Keaton Collection
Starring: Buster Keaton
Released: 7th March 2006
SRP: $24.96

Further Details:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a Buster Keaton - 65th Anniversary Collection which contains 10 shorts from esteemed silent film comedian Buster Keaton. Included will be the digitally remastered versions of General Nuisance, His Ex Marks the Spot, Mooching Through Georgia, Nothing but Pleasure, Pardon My Berth Marks, Pest From the West, So You Won't Squawk, The Spook Speaks, The Taming of the Snood and She's Oil Mine. Extras will include a commentary for each short, a half hour documentary which includes interviews with film historians, the president of the Buster Keaton Fan Club, and his granddaughter, plus a reproduction of an original script annotated by Jules White. You'll be able to own this one from the 7th March, priced at around $24.96. We've attached the official artwork below:

Artwork here

mdc3000 12-28-05 10:32 AM

This is a must have for me... I love Keaton. One of the best physical comedians the screen has ever seen.

MATT

TomOpus 12-28-05 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
From dvdactive.com:

Artwork here

I love that cover :lol:

wennma01 12-28-05 11:47 AM

cool, i've just got into keaton from my film history coures.

on a related note, whats the best version of The General currently available?

bboisvert 12-28-05 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by wennma01
cool, i've just got into keaton from my film history coures.

on a related note, whats the best version of The General currently available?

Kino:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630...v=glance&n=130

(Also available in their awesome "Art of Buster Keaton" box.)

FilmFanSea 12-28-05 01:35 PM

I haven't seen any of Keaton's Columbia shorts (1939-41), but Jim Kline's descriptions of them in his definitive The Complete Films of Buster Keaton (1993, Citadel Press---unfortunately OOP) don't exactly whet my appetite. Some exerpts:

The Columbia shorts had more generous budgets than those at Educational, but despite the improved production values, the films suffer from a lack of originality... The majority of these shorts were produced and directed by Jules White, Buster's least favorite director from his MGM days. White's forte was shrill, frenetic, rough-house humor , which was much more suitable for Moe, Larry, and Curly than for Buster's more subtly elaborate approach.

In his autobiography, Keaton talked of the relief of finishing his last Columbia short: "I just got to the point where I couldn't stomach turning out even one more crummy two-reeler." That, unfortunately, is an accurate summation of the series.
FWIW, Kline judges the first Columbia short, Pest From the West (1939), to be the best of the series.

Bronkster 12-28-05 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I love that cover :lol:

Ha! That's great!

This is the stuff that I really love the whole DVD format for. There's so much old stuff out there that is being restored and distrubuted now that I had no idea about. I've been scooping up a lot of this stuff and found the Arbuckle-Keaton stuff to be some of the most laugh-out-loud funny stuff to grace my TV. I will be getting this set as soon as it's out! Yay!

The Bus 12-28-05 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
(Also available in their awesome "Art of Buster Keaton" box.)

That is one awesome, awesomely-priced set. Amazon readers mention something about it not being restored --- is this not a definitive version? I'll wait until June when I can get it through DDD for a more appetizing $110... but I don't want to get it if a more definitive version is in the works, so to speak.

RevKarl 12-28-05 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01
...on a related note, whats the best version of The General currently available?

In R1, it's pretty much a toss-up between the Kino and Image discs (pros & cons to both.) It seems, however, if your PAL compatible, the newish M2K disc beats them both. Check out DVD Beaver's comparison below:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...thegeneral.htm

Cameron 01-01-06 03:15 AM

such as great price...sold

Celtic Bob 01-26-06 04:37 PM

I just ordered it as well along with the Buster Keaton Collection (TCM Archives) and Industrial Strength Keaton. I have yet to pick up the "Art of Buster Keaton" set. Any word if there is plans to release the UK versions over here? I really like how they looked on the link compared to the Kino and Image ones. MAybe i'll wait a little longer.

chente 01-26-06 07:38 PM

There's also a really nice R2 MOC collection of Keaton movies coming out sometime this year.

FilmFanSea 02-25-06 01:29 PM

DVD Talk review by John Sinnott

John's conclusion:

These are just bad films. They aren't funny, and Keaton doesn't even try. It is often painful to watch these short, knowing how funny Keaton can be, and see the lame material that he was forced to work with. I'm a die hard Keaton fan, but I really can't say I enjoyed any of these shorts. It's best to skip this collection.
Caveat emptor.

nemein 03-07-06 02:53 PM

What is the best Keaton collection to get? I just remembered Buster Keaton when I was at Best Buy today and ended up w/ an overpriced (ok MSRP... but that's bad enough ;)) thing called Industrial Strength Keaton. After I left I realized my mistake and it's going back but from when I was looking my BB obviously didn't have the new one since the ISK was the only one I found. So is the ISK worth having (at a better price obviously)? Is this new collection worth tracking down? Is there a definitive collection out there that is recommended?

Randy Miller III 03-07-06 03:02 PM

Kino Video's <i>The Art of Buster Keaton</i>, already mentioned in this thread, is an excellent set---it includes just under 30 films (10 full-length and 19 shorts), but it's a bit pricey at +/- $150 brand new.

nemein 03-07-06 03:26 PM

Does it include the stuff from this ISK set or is it different things?

Randy Miller III 03-07-06 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
Does it include the stuff from this ISK set or is it different things?

Amazon link

nemein 03-07-06 03:37 PM

Looks like there's a little bit of overlap but not much...

sparks 03-07-06 04:04 PM

I hope they release the 7-9 films that he did at MGM. They were released as a LD Box Set. A couple of weeks ago a sealed one was going for $100 on eBay...ouch!