DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/449584-final-fantasy-vii-advent-children-release.html)

dom56 04-25-06 04:06 PM

My local Best Buy were sold out. :(

I tried Wal-Mart and Target but both stores cost $20, did'nt want to pay that much so I stop at Circuit City at the last moment and they have a few left at $14.99 I just grab one and now I'm one happy camper. :)

DVDHO 04-25-06 04:41 PM

I got the last copy at BestBuy,guy said he couldnt believe they where flying off the shelf like it did since he never heard of it,glad I got it though and im glad you got one also=)

MrStayPuft 04-25-06 05:13 PM

Yea, I wouldn't be suprised to see this breaking a record of some kind. My local BB, CC, and Target were all sold out. My Walmart must have either got like thousands in or nobody's buying them there, because they still had a ton left.

Big Worms 04-25-06 05:16 PM

Damn it lets not start the sold out thing. No I am freaking out that I need to rush over and get my copy. :(

minguy 04-25-06 05:21 PM

Currently $14.96 at Amazon and No.1 in the top-selling dvds list.

Slowpc 04-25-06 05:59 PM

My store (BB) sold out within the first 15 minutes.

I think it was the issue with the delay of the release and thinking that many people would have just DL'ed it by now. So they shipped so few just to make sure people still wanted it... and it seems that they do.

JustInsane 04-25-06 06:18 PM

The Besy Buy I went to at lunch time only had two copies left. I grabbed one and the guy that came in right behind me grabbed the other.

budster7 04-25-06 07:52 PM

Does the storyline have anything to do with the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie that was released in theatres? Sorry, I don't know anything about the Final Fantasy games.

Big Dave 04-25-06 08:14 PM

I went around noon to Best Buy to get my copy and there was only 1 left once I bought mine.

MasterofDVD 04-25-06 08:51 PM

My local BB was out so I grabbed an ad and went to Wal-Mart. Wally World had the same low price so I didn't even need to mess with the price matching.

Corvin 04-25-06 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by budster7
Does the storyline have anything to do with the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie that was released in theatres? Sorry, I don't know anything about the Final Fantasy games.

No.

fumanstan 04-25-06 09:57 PM

Sold out at my Best Buy and Circuit City. :( I'll be checking back daily.

Corvin 04-25-06 10:01 PM

It's too bad that people are having a hard time getting copies, but at least that means it's being received well---and hopefully that bodes well for future projects.

Civic2oo1 04-25-06 10:14 PM

Went to Best Buy, sold out. Went to Circuit City, looked like it was sold out. But right when I was leaving I looked behind the customer service counter and there were a few left. Bought it and just watched it.

Oh my gosh, some of the best CG that I've ever seen. If you weren't paying attention you would think you were watching real HDTV. Definately not as bad as I thought it would be and really nice ending to bring somewhat closure to the game. I'll definately watch this again.

Giles 04-25-06 10:25 PM

how's the audio? can't wait to rent this, couldn't quite make this a blind buy.

Civic2oo1 04-25-06 10:29 PM

I can't comment on the dub (I hate dubs, I refuse to watch/listen to anything that's not in the original release), but the audio on the Japanese track is very nice. I'm not sure if the dub is in 5.1, but the Japanese track sure is and was a nice workout for the theater. But the biggest kick is the visual. Even on my older HDTV, the pictures, the action sequences, I can't begin to put into words.

Giles 04-25-06 10:47 PM

for the record, I generally don't like the English dubs.

dom56 04-25-06 11:24 PM

Finish watching tonite and loved it!!! Nice to see all the characters in there. I do have one question that been bugging me.

Spoiler:
Who was the dude with Aerith at the end? It's been years since I last play the game and I don't recall ever seeing him.

Obi-Jon Kenobi 04-26-06 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by dom56
Finish watching tonite and loved it!!! Nice to see all the characters in there. I do have one question that been bugging me.

Spoiler:
Who was the dude with Aerith at the end? It's been years since I last play the game and I don't recall ever seeing him.

PROBABLY NOT A SPOILER But just in case dont read.
I think it was Zack. Zack, Cloud and Aerith were all friends back in the day. Zack joined soldier with Cloud and died I believe. If you watch Last Order Zack is in there.

canaryfarmer 04-26-06 08:48 AM

Obi-Jon is correct.

I picked my copy up at Wal-mart last night while buying milk and lunches for work (mmm...Lean Cuisine Spinach & Mushroom Pizza....) (and yeah, it was a few bucks more, but after hearing about how hard it's been to find at Best Buys, I figured I'd just get it over with) and watched the English dub after getting home (I'd already watched it in Japanese um, by other means). The dub was really good, actually, and it was great to hear Spike and Jet (from Bebop) together again. Cloud's VA did a great job, and I thoroughly enjoyed Cid's southern drawl.

And of course, it was simply gorgeous.

Having not actually finished FFVII (the game) all the way though, the 20 min recap of the game on disc 1 was a much appreciated addition. I even got chills watching some of those scenes again.

Corvin 04-26-06 08:57 AM

I personally thought the English dub was bad. Real bad. I watched one scene, but promptly shut it off. I had also seen the Japanese version, but this translation was, unsurprisingly, much better.

canaryfarmer 04-26-06 09:13 AM

Oh I agree, the Japanese track is definitely better. I was just surprised by how little the English VO bothered me (well, okay, Marlene's opening recap was kind of grating, and the Bad Guys sounded pretty dorky, but well, they're pretty dorky-looking anyway and they act (physically) over the top as well).

Ralph Jenkins 04-26-06 10:26 AM

I stopped by Best Buy after work last night, expecting to see a ton of copies. Not quite! I found an employee but he had never heard of it (not surprising at BB, I'm afraid). He wandered off for a few minutes before coming back and saying it was sold out. Later, I went by Wal-Mart. My Wal-Mart had a two-pack with Advent Children and The Spirits Within for approx. $20 and also Advent Children by itself for $20. ?_? Since the Advent Children DVD was scanning at $20, they still had a good number of copies. However, I managed to get them to price match Best Buy and Circuit City.

I'm really looking forward to watching this on my HDTV, provided the TV is properly repaired this Saturday (I have a Hitachi LCD with a bad light engine -- thank God for extended warranties).

The only reservation I have about this DVD is that I won't be surprised if this is one of the first releases on Blu-Ray.

Dazza 04-26-06 10:34 AM

Seems like it's just as hard to get hold of in R2 land - I went looking for a copy today and most stores had "currently out of stock" markers where it should have been. However, thankfully I did track down the last copy in the last store I visited, so that's my viewing all lined up for tomorrow once I finish work...

Dazza.

Maxflier 04-26-06 10:47 AM

Sold out last night at BB and CC here as well, had to get it from Wal-Mart.
Luckily the Wal-Mart i got it from actually puts new releases on sale unlike the one where i live.