Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Exorcism of Emily Rose- What is 'unrated' about it?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-21-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, I watched the "Unrated" cut of Emily Rose last night. Good movie, creepy, very well done. Anyway, I noticed that the running time difference between the PG-13 and Unrated cut is 3 minutes. Did they just add in an extra scene and call it 'UNRATED'? It's quite pathetic of the studio, really.

The movie comes across as PG-13, definitely. That's not a bad thing. It just didn't have anything to warrant an R rating. Especially not this Unrated cut.

Anyone know the difference in cuts?
Old 12-21-05, 06:33 AM

A review I read said it's just extra courtroom talk. Lame, I agree, but good movie.
Old 12-21-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do people think that "unrated" implies "adult content" of either language, violence or sex ??
If the paricular cut of a movie has not been submitted for a rating, then it is "unrated". It makes absolutely no difference what has been changed.
Old 12-21-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by marty888
Why do people think that "unrated" implies "adult content" of either language, violence or sex ??
I think it's a justifiable implication. Often these unrated titles get marketed as if content "never before seen in a theater" will be gore and/or sex. The implication comes that if it's unrated, then the additional footage just has to be something extreme.

When in reality (as with Emily Rose), it's simply additional courtroom scenes. My guess is that the whole "unrated" pitch will fade as consumers realize it's rarely what they think it will be.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-21-05 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-21-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched it last night on DVD and noticed nothing different from the theatrical when i saw it a few months ago. it must have been very minor differences if they are even there. Unrated is definitely being used too much nowadays as a tool to suck the unknowing into thinking they are getting something that they might not expect. I like getting more for my buck but say what is different on the box or something.
Old 12-21-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think it's the studio's fault, the only reason they release half of the unrated versions are to get attention of people looking for extra violence, sex, etc. In the case of Emily Rose, which was poorly marketed as a straight horror film (in one preview I saw there was not ONE scene from the courtroom which takes up 4/5 of the running time), the unrated was to make people think they were getting more violence. That aside, Exorcism of Emily Rose was a good film and I knew what I was getting, but I can't say that for the family just grabbing the title at Blockbuster without prior knowledge.
Old 12-21-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
My guess is that the whole "unrated" pitch will fade as consumers realize it's rarely what they think it will be.
Since the first simultaneously released unrated/rated DVD came out in 1999 (American Pie), the unrated version has outsold the other by a margin of no less than 2 to 1. On the Will Ferrell comedies Anchorman and Old School, the unrated DVD outsold its counterpart by a whopping 9 to 1 margin.

With numbers like that, unrated DVDs, especially released concurrently with a rated version, are not going away any time soon. It's a marketing ploy, pure and simple. A dozen unrated/rated DVDs have come out in just the past month.
Old 12-21-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rasalas
Since the first simultaneously released unrated/rated DVD came out in 1999 (American Pie), the unrated version has outsold the other by a margin of no less than 2 to 1. On the Will Ferrell comedies Anchorman and Old School, the unrated DVD outsold its counterpart by a whopping 9 to 1 margin.

With numbers like that, unrated DVDs, especially released concurrently with a rated version, are not going away any time soon. It's a marketing ploy, pure and simple. A dozen unrated/rated DVDs have come out in just the past month.
The Unrated versions sell alot better than the Rated versions, true, but are the overall sales that much higher? Generally if I'm buying a movie anyway, I'm going to get the Unrated version, even in this case where I know there not much difference between them.
Old 12-21-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The Unrated versions sell alot better than the Rated versions, true, but are the overall sales that much higher?
That's impossible to track because it requires comparison to something that doesn't exist (what sales would have been if a particular new title had been
released in just one edition).

Having an unrated edition definitely creates word of mouth and excitement, especially for horror- and sex-related films, so it puts a title in a much better position to have better sales overall. This thread is a perfect example of such buzz. Would we be having this discussion, which helps attract attention to the DVD, if it hadn't been released in an unrated edition?

I wrote a short column on this topic, which you can read here:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/5785190.html