DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2046 R1 releases vs R0

Old 12-26-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay Svet, what did you find out?
Old 12-26-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As I promised earlier this week I would like to add up one final summary regarding ALL of the Wong Kar Wai’s 2046 versions released on DVD. Earlier tonight I was able to take a look at UK’s Tartan release and with the exception of the Aussie disc which as I understand is almost identical my ranking is as follows:

Let’s begin with the fact that so far the complete version of 2046 both in terms of audio and video presentation appears to be the French double coffret. With a transfer personally supervised by Wong Kar Wai and massive extras that just about every single release out there appears to have used this set remains persona non grata for English speakers as English subs are not provided, hence, this version is to be excluded from my comparison.

Second of all I am also going to exclude from this comparison the R3 Mei Ah disc as the color scheme is definitely off and there appears to be some heavy contrast boosting. As it appears the greenish tint which Wong Kar Wai seems to have approved in the French transfer is what the director intended his film to look like in theaters. In fact the same French team that put together the final version of 2046 (special effects, etc) only hours before the Cannes premiere supervised the print for the French DVD release so it is fair to say that what you see on the approved by Kar Wai French DVD print is what the film looked during its premiere in France.

Now…this leaves us with a few DVDs to juggle with…assuming that we are only going to look for the best all around package which is English friendly…currently we have to choose between:

1. US-Sony release (the DVD has retained the approved by Wong Kar Wai “green-tint” print but also offers the older, non-remastered, Cantonese 5.1 track which if you have followed the discussion above does not have active rears in quite a few spots. While the extras are great and the video quality nearly flawless the Cantonese DTS track from the French set is not included).
2. Canada-French Territories Release- (as confirmed by eXcentris this does appear to be a PAL to NTSC port which should raise a red flag for those looking for the best in terms of audio/video presentation).
3. Tartan UK release- (retaining the approved by Wong Kar Wai “green tint” transfer and with both a remastered 5.1 Cantonese and a DTS tracks this DVD release appears to be an exact replica of the French release sans all the extras provided on disc 2. In addition, the Tartan disc offers white subs as opposed to the yellow subs found on the Sony disc…for those who wish to consider it.)
4. Aussie R4 release- though this appears to be the only disc which I have not seen so far using the correct “green-tint” transfer from what I have been able to confirm the disc should be identical to the UK release give or take a few differences in the extras department. The DTS is also included.

Final Conclusion:

If you are not region free and can only play R1/R0 releases…your best bet is certainly the R1 Sony release which offers some great extras but lacks the DTS track and the remastered Cantonese track.

If you are region free your best bet is the R2 Tartan release which offers the correct film transfer, the remastered Cantonese 5.1 track, a DTS track, but only a few extras.

To show the difference in print quality and the green tint Wong Kar Wai favors I am attaching captures that were taken by Tom2681 (a French member at BulletsnBabes). I think that they speak louder than what Beaver has provided...though the information there is also great!

Top is the Mei Ah R3 release bottom is the French Ocean release (which Tartan has replicated):

Once again all screen captures are property of French member Tom2681 !!!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-26-05 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would just like to add to that valuable post.

The aussie 2 disc DVD set is better than the Tartan R2. On the aussie set, the film is kept to one disc and the extras on the other, whereas the Tartan has extras and film both on the same disc. The aussie therefore has less compression artefacts. Both have the "green" tint.

However, a lot of online stores dont seem to stock the 2 disc aussie set and only have the 1 disc version in stock. This version onyl has the film and no extras. If you can track down a web retailer that sells the 2 disc 4, it's better than the Tartan R2.
Old 12-26-05, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank's for the info Nitin77...but I am pretty much done playing with this film.

I spent about a week looking at all sorts of different features, disc versions, audio tracks (thanks eXcentris for a great Chritsmas)...AND...unless someone sends me this mysterious 2DVD Aussie set to inspect I am not running any more tests.

BTW...I hardly think that the extras on the Tartan disc have affected the video quality...they are just a few (and very short at that).

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-26-05 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you are not region free and can only play R1/R0 releases…your best bet is certainly the R1 Sony release which offers some great extras but lacks the DTS track and the remastered Cantonese track.
Just one comment. If you do not care about extras, I believe the Mei Ah R0 release is a better choice than the Sony. The vastly improved audio more than makes up for the slightly inferior transfer.
Old 12-27-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Anyone know the answer to this? I'm wanting to pick up my own copy finally.
Old 12-27-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by naitram
Anyone know the answer to this? I'm wanting to pick up my own copy finally.
One disc vs two disc Mei Ah releases, so same transfer/audio. Up to you really if you want to pay twice as much for the two disc (also has picture cards included) since the extras aren't subbed.
Old 12-28-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris
One disc vs two disc Mei Ah releases, so same transfer/audio. Up to you really if you want to pay twice as much for the two disc (also has picture cards included) since the extras aren't subbed.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info, I'll just go with the one-discer then.
Old 12-28-05, 07:43 PM

For the record, I have the 2-disc Mei Ah and can confirm that the 35-minute "Making-of" definitely does have optional English subs. I'm not positive if its the same documentary as on the Sony disc, but the lengths seem to match.

jd
Old 12-28-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jdrouette
For the record, I have the 2-disc Mei Ah and can confirm that the 35-minute "Making-of" definitely does have optional English subs. I'm not positive if its the same documentary as on the Sony disc, but the lengths seem to match.

jd
I just checked and you're right. Honestly, I had never checked the 2nd disc on the Mei Ah release and just assumed there were no subs so shame on me. And it is indeed the same 35 min. documentary as on the Sony release. The other extras (Ziyi footage, Music of 2046, B Lovers) aren't subbed but they are visual in nature (just film excerpts) so they don't require subs.
Old 12-29-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Ok, I will, we have another guy coming on Sunday (for Christmas) with his Tartan disc so as soon as I run a check on his copy I will write a small summary regarding each region release.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Hey, what's a better dueling item? A bassoon or an alto-clarinet? Curious...
Old 12-29-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
A pistol at 10 paces.
Old 12-29-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sticking with the bassoon

Pro-B
Old 12-29-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
No way I'd go up against a bassoon, not on THIS forum!!

For those of us who are curious but not 'in the know' about the film, I rented the Sony R1 via Netflix and while I haven't given it the full HT audio treatment, the PQ seems to be very, very good.
Old 12-29-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by nightmaster

For those of us who are curious but not 'in the know' about the film, I rented the Sony R1 via Netflix and while I haven't given it the full HT audio treatment, the PQ seems to be very, very good.
oh crap!

I found and bought 1 today.
Old 12-29-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nightmaster

Pro-B
Old 07-23-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Did a search for info on the R1 releases of 2046 and posted a thread in the Reviews section ... and got helpfully led to this thread.

I'm in the process of hunting down the best copy for a non-region free player. In essence ...

Sony R1 - Higher Quality Video, Higher Quality Extras, Lower Quality Audio??
Canadian R1 - Flat Out Negative???
Mei-Ah R0 - Higher Quality Audio, Marginally lower-quality Video, Clueless on Extras

Also, isn't there a two-disc Mei-Ah edition (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7j-70-fjy.html), and is the quality the same as the one-discer?

I was trying to discern between the two R1 editions, which turned into a much bigger debaucle once I heard about the screwy audio on R1. Also, from pro-b's screen captures, the Mei-Ah tends to lack detail.

So ... from reading the reviews, I'm once again leaning towards the Sony R1 ... what would I be missing from the remastered Cantonese and, let me go ahead and make certain that this is correct ... there isn't a R0/R1 with the newer, sharp transfer, the remastered Cantonese track, and a good amount of extras?

By the way, MANY thanks for all the contributors, especially pro-bassoonist, on this thread. Any additional info is widely appreciated!

Signed,
- Trying To Find Highest Quality Audio/Video/Extras for R1/R0 of 2046
Old 07-23-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To be honest...for me the difference in the video quality is striking and I would recommend the Sony disc (but I have a history of being overly critical when it comes to color manipulation, video-adjustment...esp. when it comes to Criterion and their involvement with Melville) which goes against what eXcentis has stated. I myself would go for the R1 Sony disc and live with the audio funk...had I not been region-free.

To give a definitive answer to your previous question: NO, there is no correct audio/video R1 disc on the market.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-23-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, depends where your priorities lie. To me the difference in sound is huge and the transfer is only slightly inferior. When I compared the opening scene of the Seville/Sony with the Mei Ah, I went holy crap! I couldn't believe how dynamic and immersive the sound was on the Mei Ah compared to the other two. This difference really jumped at me whereas the differences in the transfers weren't that apparent or distracting to me. Plus, the extras on the Mei Ah two disc are subbed.

And yeah, Pro-B tends to be overly critical. I think he spends a lot of time watching movies sitting 6 inches from the screen with a magnifying glass.
Old 07-24-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for sticking to your guns, eXcentris, and not letting the doubters shout you down.
Old 07-24-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Peep
Thanks for sticking to your guns, eXcentris, and not letting the doubters shout you down.
Agreed. Brought up a good observation that has led to further research for the proper edition.
Old 07-24-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Peep
...a doubter and a shouter...interesting!

Pro-B