Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Masters of Horror (Showtime) news

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Showtime and Anchor Bay can stick these releases up their asses.

Release a cheap boxed set, and then I might be interested.
Old 12-18-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll rent these, as I don't have Showtime.

I can't believe these are being released this way.
Old 12-19-05, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have Showtime, have never seen this, but was hoping for a nice box set. I'll wait.
Old 12-19-05, 02:57 AM

[QUOTE=DVDude!]I, for one, wouldn't buy a full season set--unless the quality improves significantly. So far, out of the six I've watched, the only one that I'd want to revisit was the first ("Incident On and Off a Mountain Road"). I'd buy it for $10 if it were fairly loaded.

As for the other five I've watched:

2. "Dreams in the Witch House" is okay, but the rat man is just silly. Nice boobage on the witch though.

[snippage]

I think that they selected "Dreams in the Witch-House" as one of the initial offerings because there are a great many fans of H. P. Lovecraft who are likely to purchase it. This premiered at the HPL Film Festival in Portland last October and was generally well received. Incidentally, everyone I talked with there found Brown Jenkin (the "rat man", ie a witch's familiar) to be well done.
Old 01-23-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Davis dvd has a cool little blurb about Takashi Miike's film Imprint. Looks like the big wigs at the network cringed at the sight of it...so direct to dvd it goes.
Old 01-23-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
Davis dvd has a cool little blurb about Takashi Miike's film Imprint. Looks like the big wigs at the network cringed at the sight of it...so direct to dvd it goes.
Gutless bastards....
Old 01-24-06, 02:30 AM
Banned

I (like another poster) am not trying to threadcrap, but I've seen most (not all) of these, and they wouldn't be worth the plastic of a DVD, IM(not so)HO. I'll continue to check them out when I can (I have DishTV), but I'm certain I won't be buying any unless the writing/storytelling quality goes up.
Old 01-24-06, 05:30 AM

This will be the only one I'll gladly purchase as a blind buy.
90% of the ones that aired are crap...
Old 01-24-06, 11:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah, Showtime were complete hypocritical ass-shats for this little 'banning'
Old 01-24-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I've been watchin' these since the start and now the only draw is that it's HD(Lite) content. I'll pass on a dvd set. I've seen plenty. Now that I'm thinking about...a self-reminder that I need to dump HBOHD and ShowtimeHD.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 01-24-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The NY Times story on Showtime's nixing of Miike's "IMPRINT" (requires registration): http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/ar...on/19horr.html

I can certainly accept the likely explanation that Showtime lowered the boom because "Imprint" was more than it bargained for when the company decided to give carte blanche to a bunch of horror film directors, but then again this is a good way to package the bland fare that epitomize this series with the one truly transgressive title that wasn't aired in a DVD set that people might actually purchase. Ah well, if "Imprint" isn't available separately from Anchor Bay, hopefully it will have independent DVD distribution in Asia.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 01-24-06 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-24-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Imprint will be out in the fall.
Old 01-25-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In theaters? On DVD?
Old 01-30-06, 04:02 PM

In the Fall, on DVD
Old 01-30-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sounds good. This might be the only segment I buy on DVD.... unless they release a boxset.
Old 01-31-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news on "Imprint"! (And I won't have to buy the other crappy episodes to get it!)
Old 01-31-06, 08:48 AM

It's only a marketing ploy to get you to buy the DVD release.
Old 01-31-06, 03:32 PM

I quite enjoyed the Masters of Horror series. The Joe Dante segment "Homecoming" was the best of the bunch, but it was great to see the variety of stories being told and in different ways. Lucky McKee's Sick Girl was also quite good. John McNaughton's Haekel's Tale got a little silly but featured some of the best zombie make-up since early 80's Rick Baker. Too bad all they did was stand around and watch a couple have sex.

I subscribed to Showtime just so I can see this series. But now I'm hooked on Showtime HD as they show their movies in OAR unlike HBO and Cinemax. Dropping Miike's segement is a little shady on their part though. We can put up with countless Red Shoe Diaries/Love Street trash, but they won't let us see a little of the red stuff.
Old 02-01-06, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by sarah99
It's only a marketing ploy to get you to buy the DVD release.
How so? Showtime decided not to air the episode. Showtime makes no money from the DVD releases, because the show is produced by Anchor Bay parent IDT. So Showtime's decision only benefits Anchor Bay.

No, the plain fact of the matter is that Showtime wussied out on airing the episode. That's their call to make, though.
Old 02-02-06, 03:09 AM

Since I don't currently subscribe to Showtime (although I absolutely WILL if they end up purchasing Arrested Development!) I've been looking to seeing the "Masters of Horror" pieces when they hit DVD.

But there's no effin' way I'd buy the episodes individually. I'm in agreement with whomever thinks this release pattern stinks. I think this approach will simply lead to more horror fans thinking "Hmm, wonder if I can download these from somewhere?"

Thirteen one-hour episodes? OK, fine. Firefly also had 13 episodes, and that purchase set me back about 35 bucks. Toss an extra ten on top because Showtime obviously spent some solid coin on this series. No freaking way I'd pay more than 45-50 bucks for this season ... let alone $130+. (Especially after hearing the reviews and opinions from some horror geeks whose opinions I trust.)