DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Would anyone EVER buy a Disney dvd on Ebay?

Old 12-14-05, 08:06 AM
Banned

Would anyone EVER buy a Disney dvd on Ebay?

After looking around on Ebay it seems the majority of the rare OOP Disney dvds are import/bootlegs. Has anyone ever bought a rare Disney on Ebay and if so how can you tell you are getting the real deal?
Old 12-14-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

look for great feedback.

security stickers all the way around

promo inserts and chapter inserts

red contest sticker on many of the OOP titles.

stay away from region 0 or asian special editions.

if the price is to good to be true it probably is.

I have bought a few rare disney dvds from ebay and always did ok, because i did my research. What are you looking for exactly?
Old 12-14-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have sold 3 LEGITIMATE Disney DVDs on eBay within the past month. Cameron's guidelines are the ones to follow.

Basically, it's the uninformed and lazy that will get burned. Simply be a smart shopper and you should be ok.
Old 12-14-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Cinderella worth selling yet, or is it still too new to have any margin?
Old 12-14-05, 08:59 AM

I bought the original Tarzan double disc and the Snow White double disc with no problems.
Old 12-14-05, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Is Cinderella worth selling yet, or is it still too new to have any margin?

Cinderella probably won't be worth selling for another 4 or 5 years. I had an extra Lion King that I was thinking of selling, and that went out of print like 2 years ago and it's still not worth selling. You can still find it pretty easily in some stores. You have to wait until a few years after it went back into the vault and there is high demand, such as Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty in addition to the original 9 limited editions (but not as much anymore since they are all being rereleased now).
Old 12-14-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops! I'm an idiot.

I meant to ask about Sleeping Beauty.
Old 12-14-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I have.
Old 12-14-05, 12:06 PM

I sell legit Disney DVDs on eBay....just make sure they're not region free.
Old 12-14-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I have purchased Disney OOP on eBay. You have to do your homework and be careful though.
Old 12-14-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've sold some extra Disney Treasures on ebay. The part that sucks is that ebay doesn't care too much if people sell bootlegs, just so long as they get paid. If Disney or whomever knew what was going on, I'd bet there'd be some changes. The profit margains aren't what they could be with a lot of the OOP dvds, but the whole thing isn't that big a deal.
Old 12-14-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdman47
I had an extra Lion King that I was thinking of selling, and that went out of print like 2 years ago and it's still not worth selling. You can still find it pretty easily in some stores.
I think that Lion King marks the beginning of titles that will not go up in value after they go back into the vault. It was so over-produced that, as you mentioned, you can still find it in stores. I have used copies of it in my store at $14, and I might sell one copy every 3 or 4 months.
Old 12-14-05, 02:36 PM

It's rather sad that some discs are in such huge demand while some are yesterday's garbage sitting on store shelves. I can still find bumped / slipcase-missing Aladdin, Mulan, Bambi, Cinderella in most retails, while several years ago I missed the chance to buy Beauty and the Beast for not bringing enough cash one day, I got no other chance to get it again.

I still remember I was in shock when I went back to the local HMV a month later only to find B&tB had become history.
Old 12-14-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^all of the aboved mentioned are still in print. Aladdin will be vaulted early next year, but none are going to be valuable for some time. I have only missed 101 dalmations. My disney animated colletcion is pretty strong.
Old 12-14-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't see the point for anyone here to go to ebay for Disney titles except for the OOP Disney Treasures. Usually the exchange forum has quite a few Beauty & the Beasts, Sleeping beauty, and Snow White's rolling around. For Disney stuff i probably wouldn't go with EBAY, especially after seeing those bootleg boxsets that have 24 disney movies for under $100. I mean that's ridiculous.
Old 12-14-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm....so my extra copy of Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Beauty and the Beast are worth something.....

How much could I get now? My sleeping beauty and B&tB are brand new and unopened......
Old 12-14-05, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think that Lion King marks the beginning of titles that will not go up in value after they go back into the vault. It was so over-produced that, as you mentioned, you can still find it in stores. I have used copies of it in my store at $14, and I might sell one copy every 3 or 4 months.
In 2 more years you won't be able to find the Lion King anywhere. Already sold out on Amazon.com a while back. When Amazon sells out, that is when you know the internet availability is just about gone on Disney titles. I guarantee you will see $50 prices on The Lion King dvd in 2007. No doubt about it.
The real issue is that Lion King marks the first Platinum Edition title that was in print for MORE THAN A YEAR (which is now the standard). Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White were only available for 3 months or so before they went back in the vault. Any Disney title that exhausts its supply at retail will sell a price run-up. But just the very in demand titles will go to $50 and beyond. Snow White, SleepingBeauty and Beauty Beast already go for that on Amazon and Ebay with relative ease. The Lion King, which is very loved, will be there as well in another couple of years.
Old 12-15-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

after paying almost 40 bucks for a boot copy of Lady and the Tramp. no.

sometimes good feedback doesn't always mean the stuff is legit. it could be a bunch of parents buying the DVD and not knowing at all if the thing is a boot or not. I posted bad feedback to someone who posted that DVD and got tons of emails from people wondering why I left such negative feedback.
Old 12-15-05, 11:00 PM

Just sold a Lion King for $30 on ebay that i had brought for $12
Old 12-16-05, 02:20 PM

I agree with asianxcore...great feedback doesn't always count...I purchased several OOP Disney DVDs from someone on EBay who had over 1,000 feedback with no negatives...this person was selling bootlegs that were almost perfect copies. The only way to tell that they were boots was that the disc holders on the cases were different from the original releases...otherwise, the sets were totally perfect..I got my money back, and the seller basically admitted that the DVDs were bootlegs...
Old 12-17-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've sold several of my old Disney DVD's on ebay, all legit. One was in a different case than the original (I moved the artwork to an AOL case because the original was damaged) but I mentioned that in the ad.
Old 12-18-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by svrasputin
I agree with asianxcore...great feedback doesn't always count...I purchased several OOP Disney DVDs from someone on EBay who had over 1,000 feedback with no negatives...this person was selling bootlegs that were almost perfect copies. The only way to tell that they were boots was that the disc holders on the cases were different from the original releases...otherwise, the sets were totally perfect..I got my money back, and the seller basically admitted that the DVDs were bootlegs...

It's hard to believe the chinese are actually getting good at making bootlegs now. Kinda scary. I like the days when you could tell a lot easier. I never understood why they didn't take the time before and make a perfect reproduction.
Old 12-18-05, 10:40 PM

So what is Disney's logic with only selling these for a few months. I would think that they would be able to make more profit by selling them all the time.
Old 12-18-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ they have a thick library, and use funds to market titles only a few at a time...cause a uproar in the media about it being released, give it a few months to a year and make a big stink about it going away for seven years...every seven years you have a new batch of parents with young children.....there are dozens of disney films on the market as we speak, but people only worry about the ones they can't have
Old 12-19-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDs for profit? Man, it's a little bit sad... I got my Disney titles around $10-15 each new, never brought a 2nd one (unless for gift).

Got Snow Whte 2d set for $10 (BF sale)
B&tB w/ slip case $10 (on sale)
Lion King w/ Slip case $10 (used coupon on release date)
Aladdin w/ slip case $10 (BF sale)
Sleeping Beauty $10 (sale or coupon)

I got rid of the Gold collection or Limited Collections, since the new re-relase came out, i don't see any point keeping the older one. e.g., Mulan, i sold the LE for $15-20 on Amazon (don't remember the exact price) and got the re-release for $12 (w. slip case).

just collect what you like, for god's sake, who cares if Lion King goes for $50, i'm not going to sell it nor buy it if i lost it. There always another re-relase...

Also, who knows what new technology coming up... I might get rid of my dvd collection just like that of the VHS collection.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.