DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release [merge] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/448773-peter-jacksons-king-kong-rumored-april-2006-release-%5Bmerge%5D.html)

dx23 12-14-05 07:40 AM

Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release

From thedigitalbits.com:

Also today... and this would normally go in The Rumor Mill (so be sure to take it as such)... sources I trust are telling me today that Peter Jackson's King Kong is tentatively being planned by Universal for DVD release in early April of next year. That's a nicely timed bit of information, don't you think?
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

kornfreekiam 12-14-05 07:51 AM

Yeah, but it'll probably be a single disc bare bones edition. I'll wait until next July-December for some big 4 disc box or whatever.

Cameron 12-14-05 08:10 AM

i'm betting it will get a release similar to Ray, seabiscuit and cinderella man...two versions one barebones, and one loaded.

Atreus 12-14-05 08:16 AM

As long as the loaded one isn't a flipper I'll be happy.

Mr. Cinema 12-14-05 08:47 AM

I wonder if they'll split this film onto 2 discs to make room for a DTS track? My player can handle Universal flippers, but this is one movie I hope they don't choose for that. I want artwork on the disc too.

dadaluholla 12-14-05 09:30 AM

I might blind buy it.

Tha Freak 12-14-05 11:40 AM

I tought the movie was in theater only thursday ??? -rolleyes-

reverie 12-14-05 11:42 AM

I will blind buy it. :)

cisman 12-14-05 12:27 PM

The movie actually opened at 12am this morning....I have tickets for tonight myself...as a huge fan I'll buy it the day it comes out on DVD and probably double dip if an extended edition comes out...........That's what ebay is for right:)

Ejunior2 12-14-05 01:18 PM

Will probably hold out for the eventual HD-DVD version. :)

milo bloom 12-14-05 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tha Freak
I tought the movie was in theater only thursday ??? -rolleyes-

And?

As I've noted before, the "theater experience" is quickly becoming passe. You might get a decent viewing the first week or so, but then the print starts to look like crap and all the juvenile deliquents start showing up. And the studios are well aware of how many folks just wait for the DVD anyways.

I think you're still stuck on the idea that a quick DVD release means it's a stinker. Honestly, it's just another part of the earnings chain.

Or to put it another way

Make movie
Release DVD <<<
Profit

cisman 12-14-05 03:51 PM

I do agree there...while I'll be there tonight I find myself holding out for Dvd's more and more. They overcharge and the quality isn't very good anymore. Not too mention most of the time they don't smell that great either....The home theater craze is growing:)

dx23 12-14-05 03:56 PM

I agree with theater experience becoming passe, but still there are films that are worth seeing in theaters and King Kong is one of them. I will pass on seeing smaller films in theaters without giving a second thought, but I'm a sucker for big blockbuster films like Kong, LOTR, etc.

OldBoy 12-14-05 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
The movie actually opened at 12am this morning....I have tickets for tonight myself...as a huge fan I'll buy it the day it comes out on DVD and probably double dip if an extended edition comes out...........That's what ebay is for right:)

how do you know you are a huge fan if you haven't seen it?

Cameron 12-14-05 05:37 PM

huge fan of King Kong. Just like being a huge fan of batman, or james bond, etc.

TomOpus 12-14-05 05:45 PM

I can't wait for more news on the specs and the eventual 4-disc release down the road. Add to the just released Production Diaries and it'll be a nice 6-disc set.

Okay, I'm assuming a lot but it's a pretty safe assumption :)

smurr5 12-14-05 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
how do you know you are a huge fan if you haven't seen it?

Maybe because the movie has been made twice before, and he has seen them both, and he IS a fan of King Kong...Hmmm !

emhello 12-14-05 09:17 PM

I'll get it the day it come out!

Giles 12-14-05 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And?

As I've noted before, the "theater experience" is quickly becoming passe. You might get a decent viewing the first week or so, but then the print starts to look like crap and all the juvenile deliquents start showing up. And the studios are well aware of how many folks just wait for the DVD anyways.

to bad the IMAX deal fell through nor any DLP presentations of the film. As for the theatre experience I had - it was fantastic: a humongous screen, intense sound. Bring on the DVD so I can replay all the great scenes ad nauseum.

Rogue588 12-19-05 01:26 AM

wasn't it already an easter egg on the production diaries set? :hscratch:

UncleCaveman 12-19-05 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ejunior2
Will probably hold out for the eventual HD-DVD version. :)

I thought universal supported Blu-Ray ;)

Egon's Ghost 12-19-05 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
I agree with theater experience becoming passe, but still there are films that are worth seeing in theaters and King Kong is one of them.

I don't think any home theater could pass for seeing this at the cinema. This was an incredible experience.

matome 12-19-05 11:45 AM

I'll wait for the DVD

Giles 12-19-05 11:48 AM

I would be curious to see if this DVD version of the film has the deleted scenes that are mentioned in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly.

cisman 12-19-05 11:55 AM

What deleted scenes are they talking about?

I'm a huge fan because I grew up watching the other versions:)

I saw this Wed night and it was everything I hoped for and more. I'll be seeing it again. It's an hour drive to the nearest IMAX theater which is playing it and we are going soon:)

Giles 12-19-05 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
What deleted scenes are they talking about?

I'm a huge fan because I grew up watching the other versions:)

I saw this Wed night and it was everything I hoped for and more. I'll be seeing it again. It's an hour drive to the nearest IMAX theater which is playing it and we are going soon:)

oh let's see

- the rocky crag Anne/Kong scream scene
- Kong going more ape sh** in New York City
- the aquatic dino scene (which is seen briefly in the trailer)

and I think at least two more scenes (I dont have the EW article handy)

you know, the IMAX screening is a 35mm print projected on the IMAX screen - no official DMR-r'd prints were struck for IMAX engagements.

ReduxGuy 12-19-05 03:38 PM

I'm hoping that the movie is spread over two discs for better bit rate, 5.1 EX and DTS-ES tracks, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, poster gallieries, and the trailers.

AND for the collectors, a special mail-in offer for a four disc case to hold King Kong, the Production Diaries discs, and PD book.

Giles 12-19-05 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
I'm hoping that the movie is spread over two discs for better bit rate, 5.1 EX and DTS-ES tracks, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, poster gallieries, and the trailers.

AND for the collectors, a special mail-in offer for a four disc case to hold King Kong, the Production Diaries discs, and PD book.

come on DTS-ES from Universal - phhhht! - that ain't happening (sorry, but I'm being very cynical).

dx23 01-12-06 05:10 PM

Thedigitalbits.com rumor mill is now reporting a 3/28 street date for the King Kong DVD.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#011206

1/12/06

We've gotten some more new street date information from our industry sources for some major early '06 titles:

Universal is planning to release Peter Jackson's King Kong on 3/28.

New Line has Just Friends scheduled for March 7.

Paramount has tentatively slated Yours Mine & Ours for February 28.

Miramax's Derailed is currently due on 3/21.

Finally, we're hearing Disney's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is tentatively due in early April.

Keep in mind, all of these dates are unofficial until the studio makes their actual public announcements.

Stay tuned...

Bobweiser 01-14-06 08:04 AM

Wow, really looking forward to this one. To tough to get to the theater with a three year old and a ten month old and no babysitters to be found, so the dvd will have to do. Really would like the theater experience for this one, though. I agree with the earlier thoughts, too. Peter Jackson seems to cater to his fans with dvd releases (i.e. LOTR EEs), so I'm hoping he really goes all out for this one. I'll be marking this date on the calendar.

Big Worms 01-14-06 09:39 AM

I can't wait for this release! I just hope for a nice 4 disc set with DTS!

DJariya 01-19-06 04:42 AM

I think Universal will pull the same crap it did with "Ray" and "Cinderella Man" There will be a double sided 1-disc version with minimal extras (great for rental shops) that will retail for about 26 bucks. And they will probably release a 2 or 3 disc deluxe version/gift set that will have Peter Jackson commentary and a whole bunch of stuff that will retail about 40 bucks. But, I really shouldn't be that surprised since his Lord of the Rings movies essentially had the same treatment with the exception of the deluxe set extended versions being released 1 year later.

caligulathegod 01-19-06 05:10 AM

LOTR needed the extra time to finish the extended versions. They worked like mad to get the theatrical cuts in the theaters and then the following year they worked on the next movie and the extended version of the previous movie simultaneously. Hard to hold it against them for that. Plus, they gave us our money's worth.

cisman 01-19-06 08:36 AM

I agree that LOTR sets were ones I didn't even hesitate to double dip on. All that extra footage was great.

I'm sure we'll get the same treatment with Kong. Probably not as much additional footage. I hope he actually adds it into the movie if it fits like he did LOTR.

Narnia and Kong in April or May does seem a little early for both so I bet anything we'll see extended or special editions of both closer to christmas.

Mr. Cinema 01-19-06 08:49 AM

I think they won't go cheap with this one and make it at least a 2-disc set....with COVERS on both discs!!!!

And then a big 4-discer later. Maybe before the HD version hits.

Steve 01-19-06 09:45 AM

this is one of those that I will wait until HD.. Probably won't be that far off now..

freudguy 01-19-06 09:50 AM

New Line advertised the fact that there was going to be an extended version for sale later so I held off buying the theatrical version. I seriously doubt Universal will inform folks of any extended version plans....because they are bastards.

DJariya 01-19-06 12:22 PM

Universal sucks, I don't like their pricing strategy for the deluxe sets that have been released recently. Very pricey. It also is annoying that they are doing double sided discs instead of doing a 2-disc set. Since it's Peter Jackson, I know he'll give DVD fans their money's worth for King Kong. I agree that he worked his butt off to put together 3 excellent extended editions of LOTR. I still wonder if they are going to release a near bare bones edition targetting the rental market and a super deluxe version for the DVD fan.

Dr. DVD 01-21-06 03:26 PM

Universal will not release this via Ray, they will make us double dip and probably inform us they have no plans to do an Ultimate Edition, until about three months before it is released.

gryffinmaster 01-25-06 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Universal sucks, I don't like their pricing strategy for the deluxe sets that have been released recently. Very pricey. It also is annoying that they are doing double sided discs instead of doing a 2-disc set. Since it's Peter Jackson, I know he'll give DVD fans their money's worth for King Kong. I agree that he worked his butt off to put together 3 excellent extended editions of LOTR. I still wonder if they are going to release a near bare bones edition targetting the rental market and a super deluxe version for the DVD fan.

I imagine they will do the same they did with LOTR - a fairly extensive theatrical 2D and a whopper of an EE. I personally enjoyed the theatrical version of the film and thought the run-time was perfect. I'd buy the 2D theatrical, probably.

At any rate, a copy of King Kong will be coming home on 3/28.