Eventual/Hopeful Three Disc
17.75%
Both Three Disc and Two Disc
32.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release [merge]

Old 12-19-05, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
What deleted scenes are they talking about?

I'm a huge fan because I grew up watching the other versions

I saw this Wed night and it was everything I hoped for and more. I'll be seeing it again. It's an hour drive to the nearest IMAX theater which is playing it and we are going soon
oh let's see

- the rocky crag Anne/Kong scream scene
- Kong going more ape sh** in New York City
- the aquatic dino scene (which is seen briefly in the trailer)

and I think at least two more scenes (I dont have the EW article handy)

you know, the IMAX screening is a 35mm print projected on the IMAX screen - no official DMR-r'd prints were struck for IMAX engagements.
Old 12-19-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm hoping that the movie is spread over two discs for better bit rate, 5.1 EX and DTS-ES tracks, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, poster gallieries, and the trailers.

AND for the collectors, a special mail-in offer for a four disc case to hold King Kong, the Production Diaries discs, and PD book.
Old 12-19-05, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
I'm hoping that the movie is spread over two discs for better bit rate, 5.1 EX and DTS-ES tracks, commentaries, documentaries, deleted scenes, poster gallieries, and the trailers.

AND for the collectors, a special mail-in offer for a four disc case to hold King Kong, the Production Diaries discs, and PD book.

come on DTS-ES from Universal - phhhht! - that ain't happening (sorry, but I'm being very cynical).
Old 01-12-06, 05:10 PM
Banned

Thedigitalbits.com rumor mill is now reporting a 3/28 street date for the King Kong DVD.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#011206

1/12/06

We've gotten some more new street date information from our industry sources for some major early '06 titles:

Universal is planning to release Peter Jackson's King Kong on 3/28.

New Line has Just Friends scheduled for March 7.

Paramount has tentatively slated Yours Mine & Ours for February 28.

Miramax's Derailed is currently due on 3/21.

Finally, we're hearing Disney's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is tentatively due in early April.

Keep in mind, all of these dates are unofficial until the studio makes their actual public announcements.

Stay tuned...
Old 01-14-06, 08:04 AM

Wow, really looking forward to this one. To tough to get to the theater with a three year old and a ten month old and no babysitters to be found, so the dvd will have to do. Really would like the theater experience for this one, though. I agree with the earlier thoughts, too. Peter Jackson seems to cater to his fans with dvd releases (i.e. LOTR EEs), so I'm hoping he really goes all out for this one. I'll be marking this date on the calendar.
Old 01-14-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't wait for this release! I just hope for a nice 4 disc set with DTS!
Old 01-19-06, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Universal will pull the same crap it did with "Ray" and "Cinderella Man" There will be a double sided 1-disc version with minimal extras (great for rental shops) that will retail for about 26 bucks. And they will probably release a 2 or 3 disc deluxe version/gift set that will have Peter Jackson commentary and a whole bunch of stuff that will retail about 40 bucks. But, I really shouldn't be that surprised since his Lord of the Rings movies essentially had the same treatment with the exception of the deluxe set extended versions being released 1 year later.
Old 01-19-06, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

LOTR needed the extra time to finish the extended versions. They worked like mad to get the theatrical cuts in the theaters and then the following year they worked on the next movie and the extended version of the previous movie simultaneously. Hard to hold it against them for that. Plus, they gave us our money's worth.
Old 01-19-06, 08:36 AM

I agree that LOTR sets were ones I didn't even hesitate to double dip on. All that extra footage was great.

I'm sure we'll get the same treatment with Kong. Probably not as much additional footage. I hope he actually adds it into the movie if it fits like he did LOTR.

Narnia and Kong in April or May does seem a little early for both so I bet anything we'll see extended or special editions of both closer to christmas.
Old 01-19-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they won't go cheap with this one and make it at least a 2-disc set....with COVERS on both discs!!!!

And then a big 4-discer later. Maybe before the HD version hits.
Old 01-19-06, 09:45 AM

this is one of those that I will wait until HD.. Probably won't be that far off now..
Old 01-19-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Line advertised the fact that there was going to be an extended version for sale later so I held off buying the theatrical version. I seriously doubt Universal will inform folks of any extended version plans....because they are bastards.
Old 01-19-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Universal sucks, I don't like their pricing strategy for the deluxe sets that have been released recently. Very pricey. It also is annoying that they are doing double sided discs instead of doing a 2-disc set. Since it's Peter Jackson, I know he'll give DVD fans their money's worth for King Kong. I agree that he worked his butt off to put together 3 excellent extended editions of LOTR. I still wonder if they are going to release a near bare bones edition targetting the rental market and a super deluxe version for the DVD fan.
Old 01-21-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Universal will not release this via Ray, they will make us double dip and probably inform us they have no plans to do an Ultimate Edition, until about three months before it is released.
Old 01-25-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DJariya
Universal sucks, I don't like their pricing strategy for the deluxe sets that have been released recently. Very pricey. It also is annoying that they are doing double sided discs instead of doing a 2-disc set. Since it's Peter Jackson, I know he'll give DVD fans their money's worth for King Kong. I agree that he worked his butt off to put together 3 excellent extended editions of LOTR. I still wonder if they are going to release a near bare bones edition targetting the rental market and a super deluxe version for the DVD fan.
I imagine they will do the same they did with LOTR - a fairly extensive theatrical 2D and a whopper of an EE. I personally enjoyed the theatrical version of the film and thought the run-time was perfect. I'd buy the 2D theatrical, probably.

At any rate, a copy of King Kong will be coming home on 3/28.
Old 01-26-06, 01:56 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope there is a 4 disk EE and they tell us about it soon
Old 01-26-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
I hope there is a 4 disk EE and they tell us about it soon

While I intend to buy any EE regardless, I would LOVE one with a collectible figurine of the giant ape himself!
Old 01-27-06, 08:51 PM

Old 01-27-06, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that's the DVD art... ooh.
Old 01-27-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD art, if true,

catracho: where did you get all of those awesome Godzilla statues? Me likey!!!
Old 01-27-06, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Sorry, those statues are not mine. That pic came from an latin american dvd forum.

Last edited by catracho; 01-27-06 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather them use the poster just showing a close up of his face.
Old 01-28-06, 09:24 AM

This is one of those films for me that I'll get whatever edition is hitting the streets on 3/28 as well as the EE edition, hoping that this will be a Director's cut which includes the swamp scene edited back into the film...I typically don't buy films that are over 3 1/2 hours frankly I just sit through a movie that long (such as LOTR EE edition) and with kids forget it but for King Kong I'd gladly make an exception.
Old 01-28-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd love the theatrical cut with finished deleted scenes that can branch into the film, so basically two cuts spread over two discs with DTS. And please Universal, none of that promo fluff you've been doing lately, I want a good documentary that has unique stuff from the production diaries
Old 01-28-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Those show up on ebay. I'm wondering where the little Gatchaman airplane came from.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.