DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release [merge] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/448773-peter-jacksons-king-kong-rumored-april-2006-release-%5Bmerge%5D.html)

Fok 01-26-06 01:56 AM

I hope there is a 4 disk EE and they tell us about it soon

Dr. DVD 01-26-06 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
I hope there is a 4 disk EE and they tell us about it soon

While I intend to buy any EE regardless, I would LOVE one with a collectible figurine of the giant ape himself!

catracho 01-27-06 08:51 PM

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/922/img65301zy.jpg

ReduxGuy 01-27-06 09:07 PM

If that's the DVD art... ooh.

Dr. DVD 01-27-06 10:01 PM

DVD art, if true, :thumbsup:

catracho: where did you get all of those awesome Godzilla statues? Me likey!!!:D

catracho 01-27-06 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
catracho: where did you get all of those awesome Godzilla statues? Me likey!!!:D

Sorry, those statues are not mine. That pic came from an latin american dvd forum.

Mr. Cinema 01-28-06 06:49 AM

I'd rather them use the poster just showing a close up of his face.

wakwak007 01-28-06 09:24 AM

This is one of those films for me that I'll get whatever edition is hitting the streets on 3/28 as well as the EE edition, hoping that this will be a Director's cut which includes the swamp scene edited back into the film...I typically don't buy films that are over 3 1/2 hours frankly I just sit through a movie that long (such as LOTR EE edition) and with kids forget it but for King Kong I'd gladly make an exception.

Willh51 01-28-06 10:17 AM

I'd love the theatrical cut with finished deleted scenes that can branch into the film, so basically two cuts spread over two discs with DTS. And please Universal, none of that promo fluff you've been doing lately, I want a good documentary that has unique stuff from the production diaries

Jason 01-28-06 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

Those show up on ebay. I'm wondering where the little Gatchaman airplane came from.

Drexl 01-28-06 01:28 PM

Has Jackson said anything about an EE or is everybody just assuming there will be because of LOTR?

Mr. Cinema 01-28-06 01:43 PM

I would actually settle for a single release with DTS and a commentary with Jackson and Watts. I already have the Production Diaries set, so I can't imagine needing any more behind-the-scenes info about Kong.

Josh H 01-28-06 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I already have the Production Diaries set, so I can't imagine needing any more behind-the-scenes info about Kong.

I'm sure the deluxe edition, assuming there is one, will have all the post production diaries which I'm pretty interested in seeing given how much I enjoyed the production diaries and the LOTR EE extras.

PotVsKtl 01-28-06 02:34 PM

I'm sure the deluxe edition, assuming there is one, will have all the post production diaries
People keep being sure of this however it is apparently not true.

apchrist 01-28-06 04:37 PM

On The Production Diaries it mentioned somewhere that they had two crews going around documenting the making of the film. A small one making the production diaries and a second crew work on the special edition DVD. That being said I'm expecting a second release later on.

MrVette99 01-31-06 09:30 AM

This movie was too long and too predictable. Boring....!!!!!

Dr. DVD 01-31-06 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by MrVette99

:crap:

DaTimster 01-31-06 10:22 AM

Kongisking.net is saying the more likely release date is now 4.11

cisman 01-31-06 11:06 AM

At any rate i'm in for the first release and then will double dip if they do a second. Just because I've always been a kong fan.

MrStayPuft 01-31-06 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by cisman
At any rate i'm in for the first release and then will double dip if they do a second. Just because I've always been a kong fan.

My thoughts exactly. I'll double dip if one comes out, but will be definately buying the first one on the release date.

Dead 01-31-06 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by MrVette99

MrVette99, thread crapping is against forum rules. If you aren't interested in this DVD release, then please do not post in the thread.

dx23 02-01-06 04:15 PM

Davisdvd.com is reporting that the official release date is March 28th. More info here:

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

gryffinmaster 02-01-06 06:42 PM

Very true. If that's the single-disc art, then that's not too shabby. Wonder if that'll be the same art for the SE 2-discer - or if they will use that movie poster of Kong's up-close-and-personal face shot.

Mr. Cinema 02-01-06 07:09 PM

I'm definitely in for the 2-disc of this and anything else they release later.

DJariya 02-01-06 08:28 PM

Figures, Universal is using the exact same strategy like Ray and Cinderella Man. Single disc edition for the rental market and people who don't care about extras and a really expensive 2 disc set. I guess I'm going for the 2 disc set. It will probably be like 29.99 or 31.99 on release day. But, my guess the 2 disc set will keep me satisfied.

Paul Arnette 02-01-06 09:15 PM

As long as Kong isn't DVD-18, sign me up for 2-disc edition.

Looking forward to the inevitable extended edition with 20 more minutes of 'meaningful' stares between Watts and Kong re-inserted into the film. :D2:

ReduxGuy 02-01-06 09:40 PM

If Kong is double-sided and no DTS, I'm gonna be Kong-sized PISSED.

cerial442 02-01-06 10:03 PM

It's Universal, of course it will be a DVD-18. The movie will probably be split up on two sides. The second disc will probably be the only extras, and most likely will only be in the $35 set.

ChrisKnudsen 02-02-06 09:43 AM

I really want there to be a studio cut of the film that cuts it down to 2 hours. This is one film, I do not even want to see what the full director's cut looks like.

Giles 02-02-06 09:56 AM

but from what I have read (Entertainment Weekly) some of the deleted scenes were action in nature:

- an aquatic dinosaur encounter
- more scenes of Kong and the army in NYC

but as ChrisKnudsen noted - I think the three hour theatrical cut was pushing it - the deleted scenes as a supplement are enough for me, as well.

wildeny 02-02-06 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cerial442
It's Universal, of course it will be a DVD-18. The movie will probably be split up on two sides. The second disc will probably be the only extras, and most likely will only be in the $35 set.

In http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html
it said, $28.98 for single disc & $31.98 for double discs

gryffinmaster 02-02-06 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
If Kong is double-sided and no DTS, I'm gonna be Kong-sized PISSED.

:thumbsup:

They wouldn't do that to King Kong. I hope. :sad:

OldBoy 02-03-06 05:53 PM

anyone going for the R4 tin that comes with the production diaries? gonna look great next to my original...
King Kong Excluive Tin +
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/g/i/p/785609.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...tt1598/KK1.jpg

Fincher Fan 02-03-06 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
anyone going for the R4 tin that comes with the production diaries?

I am. Already have the production diaries but the tin looks pretty cool.

MrStayPuft 02-03-06 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
anyone going for the R4 tin that comes with the production diaries? gonna look great next to my original...

Just curious, before I register for that site, does anyone have the total including shipping to ship to the US? Thanks

OldBoy 02-04-06 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Just curious, before I register for that site, does anyone have the total including shipping to ship to the US? Thanks

$40US

dx23 02-07-06 08:13 PM

From thedigitalbits.com Rumor Mill:

2/7/06

Well... it seems that the German equivalent of the MPAA (the FSK) has just rated some of the extras on Disc Two of Universal's forthcoming King Kong: Special Edition (street date TBA, but believed to be 3/28). It looks like the set will pick up right where King Kong: Peter Jackson's Production Diaries left off. Here's some of what you can expect...

Credits, Introduction by Peter Jackson, Kong's New York 1933, Natural History of Skull Island, Prod. Diary 55: Welcome to Postproduction, Prod. Diary 57: Kong Performance Capture, Prod. Diary 56: The Miniature Venture, Prod. Diary 58: Creating Sound Effects, Prod. Diary 59: A Visit to Editorial Department, Prod. Diary 60: Peter Answers Your Questions, Part 1, Prod. Diary 61: The Miniature Second Unit, Prod. Diary 62: Building a Miniature, Prod. Diary 63: Weta Digital Overview, Prod. Diary 64: Creating the Teaser Trailer, Prod. Diary 65: Sound Design, Prod. Diary 66: Shooting Additional Elements, Prod. Diary 67: Preparing for Pick Up Shooting, Prod. Diary 68: Pick Ups - The Cast Returns, Prod. Diary 69: Pick Ups - The Venture Extras, Prod. Diary 70: Pick Ups - Continuity, Prod. Diary 71: Pick Ups - The Wrap, Prod. Diary 73: Detailing the Miniatures, Prod. Diary 74: The Unsung Heroes of Rotoscoping, Prod. Diary 75: Foley Recording, Prod. Diary 76: Digital Doubles, Prod. Diary 78: Digital Color Grading, Prod. Diary 79: Motion Editing, Prod. Diary 80: Bringing Kong to Life - Animation, Prod. Diary 81: Filming the Miniatures, Prod. Diary 82: Kong Visits New Zealand, Prod. Diary 83: Mixing Dialogue, Music & Effects, Prod. Diary 84: The Mixing Board, Prod. Diary 85: The Music of Kong, Part 1, Prod. Diary 86: The Music of Kong, Part 2, Prod. Diary 87: Delivering the Film, Prod. Diary 88: Peter Answers Your Questions, Part 2, Prod. Diary 89: The World Premiere, Prod. Diary 90: The New Zealand Premiere, See More of NYC in 'Wish You Were Here' and Touareg & King Kong (the VW Spot).

Nice. Watch for Universal's official DVD release announcement soon.

Thanks to Bits reader Christian L. for the link!
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#020706

http://www.spio.de/index.asp?SeitID=...King%20Kong%22

TomOpus 02-07-06 08:20 PM

Nice! :up:

ReduxGuy 02-07-06 08:26 PM

(crosses fingers for a DTS-ES track)

dx23 02-08-06 02:29 PM

More from thedigitalbits.com Rumor Mill:

Finally, eagle-eyed Bits reader Jason G. noticed an interesting omission from yesterday's list of the features on Universal's forthcoming King Kong: Special Edition. Specifically, missing is Prod. Diary 77: 13 Weeks to Go, which features a look at the recording of Howard Shore's music from the film. No doubt this had to do with Jackson's 10th hour replacement of Shore with James Newton Howard as the composer of the film's soundtrack (Jackson and Shore were reportedly having trouble finding common ground on the Kong score). You can view the original clip in Quicktime format here at Kong is King.net (while it lasts).
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#020806