17.75%
Both Three Disc and Two Disc
32.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Peter Jackson's King Kong rumored for April 2006 release [merge]

Old 03-27-06, 10:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thing-fish24
Well, don't blame me because you two are easily offended.

Haven't you read the rules of the forum? Threadcrapping, like you did, is againts the rules. If you want to discuss the quality of the film , director or actors, go to the Movie Talk section of the forum. This thread and area are for the discussion of the DVD, whcih is most likely to be purchased by people who liked the film.
Old 03-27-06, 11:00 PM

I'm holding off for the EE version. I really like the commentaries and am looking forward to more dino action. I read the Peter Jackson interview at IGN, and universal would be stupid to not release it.
Old 03-27-06, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Haven't you read the rules of the forum? Threadcrapping, like you did, is againts the rules. If you want to discuss the quality of the film , director or actors, go to the Movie Talk section of the forum. This thread and area are for the discussion of the DVD, whcih is most likely to be purchased by people who liked the film.
ta-tell like it is...
Old 03-27-06, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by thing-fish24
Well, don't blame me because you two are easily offended.

MOD NOTE: It's not that anyone around here is necessarily easily offended, what they have been trying to tell you is that you are breaking the rules of the forum, the rules you agreed to when you signed up for the account here. Specifically what you are doing is called threadcrapping (here's a link w/ a better explaination http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=235044) and IT'S NOT ALLOWED HERE. If this were a review thread then you are free to express your opinion (look in the movie forum there might already be a thread about the movie, please feel free to post comments like these there). This is a thread specifically to talk about the release of the DVD and the posts should be limited to that (aka editorial comments like yours are NOT welcomed since they become the focus of the thread [as yours has] and eventually the whole thing spirals downhill into a flame war). If you can't abide by the rules here there are plenty of forums out there that allow "free for all" posting.

EVERYONE PLEASE DROP THIS NOW.
thanks
Old 03-28-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasnt going to pick this up new, but since those dicks like releasing 1 and 2 discs at the same time, I want the 2 and I know I'll just find the 1 disc cheap. So with the coupon and rebates (is anyone else here doing that Orville one? How are they?) Thatll make the 2 disc $12.

I'll find the EE cheap I know so I'll get that one later down the line. Luckily with siblings, my sis will get the regular and I'll get the EE. We share on stuff like this
Old 03-28-06, 03:05 AM
Banned

In a recent interview, Jackson says that Universal is interested in releasing a 3 or 4-disc edition of King Kong at the end of the year.
Old 03-28-06, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That doesn't really surprise me. King Kong is pretty darn good already, this is one movie I'll have to say doesn't need the additional footage.
Old 03-28-06, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As much as I feel King Kong does not need any additional footage as it's fine the way it is... I'll get the one disc now and the big set at the end of the year I'm sure. It won't be too bad of a double dip, it could have been worse. I could have bought the diaries and then a two disc set now, and then that 3 or 4 disc set at end of 2006. I ain't doing that though, that's too much Kong within a year for me.
Old 03-28-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone else bothered by the Volkswagen Toureg commercial ad right there in the main menu? It's bad enough seeing ads in the movie theater, but it's unacceptable seeing them on DVDs I've bought and paid for.

Yeah, I know you actually have to click the link for the commercial to play, but "Volkswagen Toureg" is right there in the main menu, as big as the other menu items.

I have come to despise Universal with every fiber of my being.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 03-28-06 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-28-06, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That is kinda bothersome that it's there as big a selection, as big as the normal menu selections... I can't verify this as I haven't had a chance to get my copy yet though. It's 6:52 am, and I'm at work. If this is the case though, that kinda stinks but whatever... as long as the picture quality is fine I'll deal.
Old 03-28-06, 03:04 PM

Is Universal no longer sending out screeners or advance copies to be reviewed? It seems odd that with such a big movie being released today, there are no reviews anywhere (at least on my frequented sites: DVDTalk, HomeTheaterForum, TheDigitalBits (they've been really poor with DVD Reviews anymore anyway, so no surprise there), DVDFile, DVDReview, DVDTown, DVDmg and DigitallyObsessed.)

Nothing on Kong, but it seems like we had reviews for Capote and Good Night and Good Luck for weeks in advance.
Old 03-28-06, 03:04 PM

For those who didn't get it a few months back, Costco is packaging the single-disc KK with the boxed Production Diaries for $27+. Sure glad I paid $26 for it last fall (irony intended).
Old 03-28-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the LE Region 3 2-Discer with the booklet and watch. If they release and EE, I'll likely get that as well. I won't double dip based on extras alone, however. Only a different cut of the film will make me re-purchase.
Old 03-28-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Admiral7
Is Universal no longer sending out screeners or advance copies to be reviewed? It seems odd that with such a big movie being released today, there are no reviews anywhere (at least on my frequented sites: DVDTalk, HomeTheaterForum, TheDigitalBits (they've been really poor with DVD Reviews anymore anyway, so no surprise there), DVDFile, DVDReview, DVDTown, DVDmg and DigitallyObsessed.)

Nothing on Kong, but it seems like we had reviews for Capote and Good Night and Good Luck for weeks in advance.
Here's some:
http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev...re=date_posted
http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/kingkong2005.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...dvd_review.htm
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317638
Old 03-28-06, 04:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

those are the same 4 that's been out for a week. more should have had these up by now.
Old 03-28-06, 05:13 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy the 2-disc next week or wait for the 3-disc set.
Old 03-28-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was the 2-disc supposed to have an insert or not?
Old 03-28-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Was the 2-disc supposed to have an insert or not?
Mine didn't have one. Just a big book of coupons. I put the comic that it came with in there though. It fit nicely.
Old 03-28-06, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

comic?
Old 03-28-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing fancy. It was packaged with the 2-disc set at Target. Its the official Dark Horse adaptation of the movie though it only goes up to the beginning of the dino fight.
Old 03-28-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Strange, my comic only goes up to when Kong first appears.
Old 03-28-06, 08:32 PM

it was part of a 3 part of the comic.. from target.
that means you need all 3 parts..
i got the first part.
JACOB
Old 03-28-06, 08:53 PM

I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy the 2-disc next week or wait for the 3-disc set
I am trying to make the same decision. I really liked this movie (like others I thought it could have been trimmed) and was looking forward to the DVD. I stopped by CC to look at the 2-disc, but walked away. I love a good SE and I am not sure this one is it. Does anyone know the topics of the post-production diaries?
Old 03-28-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

from todays USA TODAY:

Movie fans will have several opportunities to go bananas over King Kong this year.

The two-disc collector's edition out today (Universal, $31) has nearly three hours of video diaries, plus features on Kong's home, Skull Island, and New York in the '30s.

But you won't see any deleted scenes or added footage. Director Peter Jackson is saving that for an extended cut of the film to be released on DVD later this year and will include a new making-of documentary.

"In the production diaries we showed a certain amount, but the real secret stuff is for later on," he says. "There are sequences that we ended up taking out for pacing and length."

Jackson's next project takes him from Skull Island to bones. He'll direct the movie version of the best seller The Lovely Bones.
---
I couldn't wait and got the 2-disc set today, might pick up the production diaries next week if the ten dollar drop in price is true. Like others have said here, the movie is plenty long as it is, so an extended version better have some kick-ass bonus features and decent added scenes or I will probably just stick with the version I have now. This extended version stuff is getting old.
Old 03-28-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Strange, my comic only goes up to when Kong first appears.
I stand corrected. I quickly glanced at it before I went to work. On the last page there is a picture of Kong squaring off with the dinosaur but the comic itself only goes up to when he appears.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.