DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What DVD Titles Have You "Dipped" On The Most (Other Than Evil Dead Series) ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/448768-what-dvd-titles-have-you-dipped-most-other-than-evil-dead-series.html)

Geddlo 04-09-07 07:22 PM

Old Boy, and Lord of the Rings I have triple-dipped.
I'll buy every incarnation of Star Wars.
I've got 3 versions of Dawn of the Dead.
Double dipped the Criterion Brazil and Seven Samurai
2 versions of the Dark Crystal; Clerks; Mallrats; A Christmas Story; Con Air; Batman Begins and I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

danganet 04-10-07 02:40 AM

My DVD Dipping (other formats would take too long!)

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
Airplane!
All The President's Men
The Animal
Animal House
Army Of Darkness
Beavis And Butthead Do America
Blazing Saddles
Boogie Nights
A Bug's Life
Bullitt
Charlie's Angles
Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
Death Race 2000
Die Hard Trilogy
Dirty Harry
A Dirty Shame (Got The Neuter Version dirt cheep)
Dodgeball
Dogma
Dragnet (To the Tom Hanks Collection)
Earthquake
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Fifth Element
Ghostbusters
Grease
The Great Escape
Groundhog Day
Half Baked
Heavenly Creatures
Hellboy
The Iron Giant
JFK
Labyrinth
A League Of Their Own
Leon: The Professional
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
The Mask
The Mask Of Zorro
Meet The Parents
Men In Black
The Mummy Trilogy (Well just Scorpion King)
Napoleon Dynamite
Not Another Teen Movie
Office Space
The Parent Trap (1998)
Revenge Of The Nerds 1 & 2
Road Trip (Got a good deal on Rated, then better on Unrated)
Rock 'N' Roll High School
Rumble In The Bronx
Rushmore
The Sixth Sense (Downgraded switch with friend)
Sneakers
Starship Troopers
Stripes
Superman 1-3
The Ten Commandments
Titanic
Tombstone
The Towering Inferno
Toy Story 1 & 2
Tremors
Vegas Vacation (To WS!)
The Wedding Singer
Weekend At Bernie's
Who Am I? (Jackie Chan's)
Wild Things
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Wow! That's a lot for nearly 8 years of collecting. There are a few I am fuzzy on if I dipped or not. The Towering Inferno was one of the best and easiest (decision wise) dips i've done.

Oh yeah! 007's were dipped as well!

rexinnih 04-10-07 09:32 AM

Have to be the Bonds with a triple dip.

asianxcore 04-10-07 04:58 PM

Zombi 2.

I originally bought it on VHS and since then have bought the Anchor Bay, Blue Underground and Shriek Show DVD's.

CinemaNut 04-10-07 05:44 PM

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 3x was the charm

Chad 04-10-07 10:29 PM

Off the top of my head:

Halloween (2-disc LE and the 25th ann Divamax)
Halloween II (Goodtimes & Universal)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre ("meat" packaging & ultimate edition)
Phantasm (R1 SE, R2 in the sphere & maybe the upcoming one)
T2 (original barebones, Ultimate & Extreme Edition)
Hellboy (SE & Director's Cut)
Re-Animator (OOP SE, Millenium Edition & maybe newest release)
Predator (barebones & SE)
Predator 2 (ditto)
Zombie (aka "Zombi 2") - (Blue Underground & 2 disc)
Old Boy (R1 and Tin)
Heat
Dazed & Confused (R1 & Criterion)
The Fifth Element
Almost Famous (R1 & Bootleg Edition)
Dawn of the Dead (Divamax & UE)
Tomorrow Never Dies (Silver case SE and Boxset SE)
Universal Monster Sets (OOP Boxset & Legacy Versions)
Strangers on a Train (Snapper & SE from Warner Hitchcock Box)
Resident Evil (SE & Deluxe)
Kill Bill (R1 & LE R2 Box)
Friday the 13th 1-8 (Single releases & Boxset)
Entrapment (Barebones & SE)
Enter the Dragon (snapper & 2 disc)
Donnie Darko (Theatrical & Director's Cut)
The Boondock Saints (R1 & Unrated SE)

And a few more I can't think of.

Giggles 04-11-07 04:03 AM

I have 41 different DVD-editions of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from different countries (collecting them). If I'm not mistaken 7-9 more are left to complete my collection, then I'll have all the TCM edition ever released on Earth :-)
Also I double-dipped on:
Tenebre (dutch release under the title 'Shadows' and a German one titled 'Unsane');
Silent Hill (Japanese 4-disc Ultimate box and British LE tin box);
Re-animator (new Anchor Bay and Elite);

yachtsman 04-11-07 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Giggles
I have 41 different DVD-editions of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre from different countries (collecting them). If I'm not mistaken 7-9 more are left to complete my collection, then I'll have all the TCM edition ever released on Earth :-)
Also I double-dipped on:
Tenebre (dutch release under the title 'Shadows' and a German one titled 'Unsane');
Silent Hill (Japanese 4-disc Ultimate box and British LE tin box);
Re-animator (new Anchor Bay and Elite);

Any chance to see a pictures of 41 editions of TCM ?

matome 04-11-07 10:14 AM

Yeah, I would love to see that as well.

drainout 04-11-07 12:14 PM

Probably my most was Phantasm

Phantasm 1-4 VHS
Phantasm + Phantasm 4 old R1 DVD
Phantasm German Boxset
Phantasm R2 Sphere set
Phantasm + Phantasm 3 new R1 DVD

Giggles 04-11-07 04:34 PM

OK, so here they are:

1st row from the above and from left to right: 4 Austrian editions, a Japanese one and a Spanish release;
2nd row: a Korean edition, 3 Dutch editions and 2 Danish releases;
3rd row: 2 British editions and 4 Italian.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...es/dvds004.jpg

The next picture -
1st row: 4 American editions, 2 German ones;
2nd row: all German;
3rd row: First is German also, then a release from Hong Kong and 4 French editions;
4th row: 3 Australian releases and an Austrian 'Saw'-edition

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...es/dvds005.jpg

One edition from England is missing here (a friend borrowed for a couple of days :chainsaw: ) You also may notice that some editions look similar. Well they differ, besides I decided to collect re-releases also so... I looked through my notes and now can say for sure that 10 more editions will complete my collection (2 of which will be released in Japan this summer and about one I have strong doubts whether it actually exists - but I heard there's a Greek edition of TCM).

polietilen 04-18-07 01:00 PM

OK, so here they are:

1st row from the above and from left to right: 4 Austrian editions, a Japanese one and a Spanish release;

The next picture -
3rd row: First is German also, then a release from Hong Kong and 4 French editions;

One edition from England is missing here (a friend borrowed for a couple of days :chainsaw: ) You also may notice that some editions look similar. Well they differ, besides I decided to collect re-releases also so... I looked through my notes and now can say for sure that 10 more editions will complete my collection (2 of which will be released in Japan this summer and about one I have strong doubts whether it actually exists - but I heard there's a Greek edition of TCM).

WOW! That's a mighty impressive TCM DVD collection. By the way, how do you find out about all these releases? I mean, it's hard enough keeping up over the internet with the various releases across the market. I knew the movie had a lot of releases across the world, but 41?!

Also, has it been difficult to get ahold of any particular release? I'm also assuming these are all official releases (no bootlegs or unathorized, etc.)

Giggles 04-18-07 02:41 PM

Thanks Polietilen!
Well, first I checked www.dvdcompare.net and used it as a guide to a certain extent. But it stated there were just 18 releases of TCM! Since then I got to know a lot more :) There's also a nice site www.ofdb.de that helped me a lot, but still it mentions only 35 editions. I was just exploring different international online shops finding more and more. Amazons helped me also. Besides a couple of times I saw editions on ebay with slightly different covers from what I already had and bought them - you can see two of the Italian releases and couple of German and French look similar, but still they differ.
I have doubts regarding unauthorized editions in respect of Korean release and two of the German releases, but couldn't yet find any proofs to it.
And speaking of difficulty finding some particular editions - I had some problems, but generally with a little patience you will be able to catch the majority on ebay. The most difficult were Austrian editon (second in the first row) - all the three Austrians in big cases are limited to 666 pieces so... and Japanese one - it's been OOP for a long time, and a guy on ebay from Japan found it specially for me, and it cost me a fortune :)
I've been hunting TCM for a long time and with 10 more releases to go I'm pretty sure those are all that exist.

Peep 04-18-07 03:37 PM

Thanks Polietilen!
Well, first I checked www.dvdcompare.net and used it as a guide to a certain extent. But it stated there were just 18 releases of TCM! Since then I got to know a lot more :) There's also a nice site www.ofdb.de that helped me a lot, but still it mentions only 35 editions. I was just exploring different international online shops finding more and more. Amazons helped me also. Besides a couple of times I saw editions on ebay with slightly different covers from what I already had and bought them - you can see two of the Italian releases and couple of German and French look similar, but still they differ.
I have doubts regarding unauthorized editions in respect of Korean release and two of the German releases, but couldn't yet find any proofs to it.
And speaking of difficulty finding some particular editions - I had some problems, but generally with a little patience you will be able to catch the majority on ebay. The most difficult were Austrian editon (second in the first row) - all the three Austrians in big cases are limited to 666 pieces so... and Japanese one - it's been OOP for a long time, and a guy on ebay from Japan found it specially for me, and it cost me a fortune :)
I've been hunting TCM for a long time and with 10 more releases to go I'm pretty sure those are all that exist.

I never thought I'd see a more serious collector than Xage.

Well done!!! That collection, especially for a single movie, is staggering!!

Giggles 04-18-07 04:50 PM

Thanks, Peep!
You really made my day. Especially after I hear all the time from my friends and family that I'm maniac and simply insane which I ain't.

polietilen 04-18-07 06:06 PM

Hell, now we know every time a friend, wife or family member gives us that look as if we just lost it because of our dvd collection, we can use Giggles post as an alibi. That's the beauty of dvd collecting. When you think you're going too far with your hobby, there's always somebody proving you wrong. So, cheers again for Giggles, in the nicest sense, of course.

Giggles 04-19-07 03:14 AM

Thanks again for your support, Polietilen :)

visitor Q 04-19-07 07:45 PM

Yeah, I have to say ... giggles may take the cake on this one ......... after having chased it down, sliced it in 50 pieces, stuck it into a grinder and thy be done!!! Very impressive there!!

On topic ..

Ghost in the Shell
R1 Standard
R1 Special Edit
R2 Standard
R2 Limited
R2 Final Edition
R3 Special Edit (in-transit)

to get ..

R4 Special
R2UK Special
R2FR
R2Ger
R3HK
R3HK Special
R2DE Ultimate

There ain't any more releases to equal 41!!!! Oh well.

Others ..

Incredibles

R2 Limited
R3TW Limited
R1 CE

Innonence

R2 Limited Collectors Box
R2 Limited Int'l Limited
R2 Initial First Pressing Steelbook
R1 Dreamworks Corrected Copy

Giggles 04-20-07 05:02 AM

Thanks for your words, Visitor Q! And your impressive Ghost in the Shell compilation proves again there're many of us in this lunatics' asylum :chainsaw: :)

crazyrabbits 05-18-07 03:00 PM

The only films I've double dipped on are:

Batman Begins (bought the one-disc, then sold it to my friend for $5 dollars and bought the two-disc)
Independence Day (VHS and Five-Star Collection DVD)
Star Wars (VHS and...other releases, some not entirely legal)
Terminator 2 (VHS and Ultimate Edition)

xage 06-16-07 10:00 AM

Hands Down.. This is one heck of a dipping! Multiple region dipping is probably the hardest and best!

Great TCM Original Dipping you got there giggles!

Im pretty sure you would be obtaiing your next project which is with SAW editions!

OK, so here they are:

The next picture -

Giggles 06-16-07 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by xage
Hands Down.. This is one heck of a dipping! Multiple region dipping is probably the hardest and best!

Great TCM Original Dipping you got there giggles!

Im pretty sure you would be obtaiing your next project which is with SAW editions!

Thanks, Xage :) Yeah, multiple region dipping is quite entertaining. There're so many interesting things out there! One day I was exploring your Evil Dead collection and was surprised you don't get any non-R1 releases 'cos there's a lot of realy nice ones. BTW couple of days back I was ordering from EzyDVD and found out one of their exclusives - Evil Dead trilogy in a good-looking red metal box. I'd buy that myself :)

maingon 06-16-07 06:52 PM

probably King kong

king kong 2 disc dvd
King kong extended cut
King Kong HD-DVD

Abe. 06-16-07 07:06 PM

Wow, what a sight :)

I don't know if I could ever collect outside my regional coding. That's really impressive.

wilky61 06-16-07 07:14 PM

Never double-dipped.

But for Christmas, I'm gonna ask for the new releases of Taxi Driver and The Graduate from my folks. I'll feel better about it if they buy it, not me, lol.