DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What DVD Titles Have You "Dipped" On The Most (Other Than Evil Dead Series) ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/448768-what-dvd-titles-have-you-dipped-most-other-than-evil-dead-series.html)

nightmaster 12-16-05 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ShallowHal

Leon: The Professional
Standard widescreen, then Uncut International, and now the Deluxe Edition.

Forgot about this one. I triple dipped on it as well.

Malticor 12-16-05 01:57 PM

I've double-dipped on:

Amadeus
Batman
Ben Hur
Bram Stoker's Dracula
A Christmas Story
Clear and Present Danger
The Fugitive
Gladiator
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Highlander
The Hunt for Red October
In the Line of Fire
JFK
Lawrence of Arabia
Lord of the Rings (all 3)
Patriot Games
The Right Stuff
The Shawshank Redemption
Top Gun

I will soon double-dip on:
Office Space
Dune

There are a few Hitchcock movies that I had and sold when I repurchased them as part of a box set: North by Northwest, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

I have purchased Army of Darkness only once.

Edit:
Technically, I guess I've triple-dipped on the Star Wars Trilogy.

ChrisKnudsen 12-16-05 03:54 PM

Only double dipped on Rushmore. Didn't matter much, I got the original free with some coupon from Reel.com using their buy 2 get one free deal or something of that nature. Man, that was an awesome code. I think I scamed Reel.com with that code over 17 times using other people's addresses and such.

Peep 12-16-05 05:29 PM

The only triple dip that I can think of for me is "Dr. Strangelove". I also have owned three copies of the first "Robocop" movie on DVD, but I got rid of the the non-Criterion single disc when the 3-disc collection came out. I may still have three different copies of "Alien".

critterdvd 12-16-05 08:03 PM

My only Dip has come from "The Lost Boys"... recorded it on VHS, then bought the VHS, then the original DVD, and finally the special edition...

The only other movie I would Dip more on would be "the goonies"

Fincher Fan 12-16-05 08:44 PM

Alien 3
Donnie Brasco
From Dusk Till Dawn
Heat
La Femme Nikita
Panic Room
Robocop
Se7en
The Shawshank Redemption

Plus a few more I'm sure escape me.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot Panic Room, possibly the best double-dip.

The Monkees 12-17-05 01:33 AM

I double dipped on:

The Muppet Christmas Carol (original full screen release and the recent release)
Alien (bought the original 20th anniversary DVD then the Quadrilogy)
X-Men (bought the original then the 1.5)
Daredevil (bought the original then the director's cut)
Elektra (bought the original then the director's cut)
The Rocky Series (bought the original box set and then the re-release box set)
Mallrats (original then the 10th anniversary)
Terminator 2 (ultimate edition then got the extreme edition)
Tommy Boy (original then the most recent edition)
There's Something About Mary (original then the 2 disc)
Spaceballs (original then the 2 disc)
To Kill a Mockingbird (original then the 2 disc)
The Silence of the Lambs (Criterion Collection then the Special Edition released when Hannibal Came Out)
Batman, Batman Returns & Batman Forever (All originals, then the anthology)
House on Haunted Hill (Double bill with Last Man on Earth, then the new version with Mike Nelson Commentary)
Jaws (original non-DTS release, then the 30th anniversary)
Saw (original widescreen releae, then the unrated version)
The Fly / The Fly 2 (original double bill, then each SE separately)
Halloween II (a cheap Goodtimes version, then the official Universal release)
The Toxic Avenger (original release, then the 21st anniversary)
Psycho II / Psycho III (original full screen version of part 2 and widescreen part 3 from Goodtimes, then the newer widescreen releases)
Psycho / The Birds / Rear Window (original single release, the Alfred Hitchock Masterpiece Collection)
Ben-Hur (original release, then the 4 disc)

I've Triple Dipped On:

The Blues Brothers (VHS released when BB2000 came out, the original DVD, then the 25th anniversary)
Night of the Living Dead (30th anniversary, special collector's edition, millennium edition)
Halloween (original anchor bay release, the TV version, the 25th anniversary 2 disc)
The Exorcist (25th anniversary, then the 25th anniversary box set with the book and stuff, then the version you've never seen)

I've Quadruple Dipped on:

Original Star Wars Trilogy (SE VHS Full Screen, SE VHS Widescreen, Definitive Laserdisc, original DVD release)

And I'm sure there is more

Bluebomber 12-17-05 09:36 PM

Terminator 2, for some odd reason i've owned all three versions.

Doc Moonlight 12-18-05 10:20 AM

Why limit ourselves to DVDs. Consider my purchase history of THE WILD BUNCH:

Bought the CED (which was the home video debut of the director's cut) when it was released in 1982.

Bought the laserdisc a few years later.

Bought a beta version (mostly because I found it cheap) (Hey, I'm the king of doomed formats)

Bought the deluxe LD box set because it was letterboxed and had what seemed like a ton of extras (this was the pre-DVD era)

Bought the R4 DVD because it was anamorphic (even though it was still a flipper).

And I'll be first in line to get the new collector's edition as part of the Peckinpah box set.

Sunday Morning 12-18-05 10:54 AM

4x - halloween
3x - tcm
3x - children shouldn't play with dead things (pre-ordered the uncut)

And a few double dips which if fast (and sadly) becoming the standard thing to do in the dvd world. They almost never get it right the first time.

tommyp007 12-18-05 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MrVette99
I upgrade to Anamorphic only. Extras I never watch.

me too, with very few exceptions

StrTrkker 01-16-06 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBull
Triple dip on Wizard of Oz

Me too...

As well as Terminator 2 thats a triple dip too.

xage 01-16-06 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bluebomber
Terminator 2, for some odd reason i've owned all three versions.

Its not All Three... more than Three

gutwrencher 01-16-06 06:19 PM

I have several triple dips...including staples like Cannibal Holocaust and T2. But I really love my quadruple dipsters...mainly because of artwork. Die Nonnen von Clichy, now I believe OOP, features 4 different covers. This is a Franco quad dip as is another nunsploitation title which also has 4 covers....and I bought them for that reason.

I can show this cover....forget about the other 3.rotfl

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/images/dvds/demons_a.jpg

shizawn 01-16-06 06:24 PM

Das Boot. Director's Cut to Superbit to full miniseries.

There are many I have double dipped on, but I believe Das Boot is the only one I've triple dipped on.

joliom 01-16-06 06:54 PM

Halloween. I've purchased five different incarnations on DVD alone. Then there's the 4 VHS copies and one Beta copy looming in my past. And I'm sure I'll probably end up buying it at least 3 or 4 more times in whatever High def format becomes the new standard.

NitroJMS 01-16-06 07:20 PM

I've double dipped a couple of times on DVDs for "upgrades," but I've now bought Batman 4 times: VHS, VHS Widescreen, DVD, DVD Special Edition.

caligulathegod 01-16-06 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
Memento.

Forget you bought it? Pa dump da! I'll be here all week,
(figured you set up the joke on purpose)

Anyway,
Wizard of Oz three times.

Shaun of the Dead full screen PAL, Widescreen PAL, Widescreen NTSC.

Taxi Driver Criterion CLV laserdisc, CAV Laserdisc, DVD (wish it was Criterion).
(Usually I don't count format upgrades, but I paid a lot of money for those)

Nosferatu (1922) Image first print. Left it in a DVD player I had to return, so got Image 2nd print. "First Vampire" version with TYPE O Neg soundtrack. Version double featured with Edison's Frankenstein (1910).

The Exorcist. Original printing, 25th ann, VYNS.

I don't count Lord of the Rings as double dipping. That was really a 6 disc set split into a 2 disc and a 4 disc set.

DoubleDownAgain 01-17-06 12:06 AM

My double dips:

Heat
Get Shorty
Clerks
Sin City
Mallrats
Reservoir Dogs

Double Dips I avoided by wating for the re-release
Office Space
Aliens
Pulp Fiction
Reality Bites
Bridget Jones's Diary
The Commitments
Swingers
The Warriors
Matrix & Matrix Revolutions although I bought Reloaded
Tommy Boy
True Romance

Double Dips I plan on making
Rounders
Panic Room - Bought the "Superbit" since it was so cheap $6 CDN, still would like the 3 disc set
The Big Lebowski - already traded my old disc away

Double Dips I am not planning on
Fifth Element - Have the Superbit, happy enough although if the Ultimate edition was cheap enough I'd pick it up.

Re-releases I've been waiting for to avoid double diping
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Clueless - re-released!
Airplane - re-released!
Dumb & Dumber - re-released!
Kill Bill
Enemy of the State
L. A. Confidential
True Lies
The Abyss
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy - Waiting for the 'Big' set ( I know, years away but the LOTR EE are still pretty pricey and Id rather spend it elsewhere)

I don't like to double dip but will do it for the right DVD, but would like to avoid it.

xage 10-07-06 07:58 PM

The Complete R1 Terminator 2 - DVD Releases .. There were 8 total variants

hindolio 10-07-06 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by xage
The Complete R1 Terminator 2 - DVD Releases .. There were 8 total variants

i soo hate you xage -wink-

Joseph B 10-08-06 11:37 AM

Lessee:

* I triple-dipped on Terminator 2. Of the ones shown above, I purchased the first "bare bones" DVD (which was also the first RSDL DVD ever manufactured.). I then purchased the two DVD-9 disc version of the Ultimate Edition and followed that up with the metal slipcase Extreme Edition. I still own the latter two since I feel as though they complement each other. This is easily on my personal Top 10 list of "fav" movies, so it was really no problem.

* I triple-dipped on Stargate. I purchased the first "flipper" disc (you actually had to flip this thing over in the middle of the movie!); followed that up with the CE (which still only had non-anamorphic video); and then the UE; which was actually a pretty nice release. Of the three, I now own only the latter. (Along with the first 8 seasons of the series!)

* I've double-dipped on almost every non-anamorphic movie that I ever purchased that was later given an anamorphic release. These included Titanic, Planet of the Apes (original), Star Trek: Generations, Star Trek: V, and Star Trek VI. I'm sure there have been many others.

Anywhoo ... Double and Triple dipping is just part of the hobby! I'm already eying the Blu-ray iterations of T2 and Stargate even though I probably won't have anything to play them on for about another year!!

Spiral Staircase 10-08-06 11:51 AM

Universal Horror Releases

Various Hitchcock Titles

NoirFan 10-08-06 11:57 AM

Double dipped on a couple dozen titles, triple dipped on none.

Fok 10-08-06 12:05 PM

Star Wars O.T......lots (inclu the vhs copies and other ones :P)

Pulp Fiction (incl the vhs copies)