Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone get/getting: The Magnificent Seven - The Complete First Season?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-10-05, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I NEVER caught this on TV (nor did I know it even existed as I never watch too many shows on TV, now with HBO and FX, thats changed). Anyway, I was out today and saw this on the store shelves, and it looked pretty damn interesting. Ive always thought Beihn was the shit and great in Tombstone, and Ron Perlman the same.

Im thinking of going for a blind buy, but cant find any reviews on it. Anyone get it? Thoughts?
Old 12-10-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember watching this show on tv when it aired. It was awful. Skip it!
Old 12-11-05, 04:58 AM

Ummm ok. Why?
Old 12-11-05, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ravenous, I'm a big fan of Westerns but I'd say "pass" on this one. I was very excited about this when it first came out and I watched a number of the episodes back then, but I quickly realized the series was a loser (I did casually keep an eye on future episodes but nothing really changed).

While the casting of the seven gunfighters was well done (and the opening credits were cool, thanks in large part to Bernstein's score), the series might well have been called "Snow White and the 7 Gunfighters". Now I didn't have a problem with it being more family-oriented programming but the whole thing just felt way too wholesome, PC, contemporary, and revisionist, and too much of the focus was on the lead female character (and love interest) who, if I remember correctly, was sort of the (intrusive) moral compass for the episodes (even though I've never watched a full episode of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman", I get the vibe that the female lead in "The Magnificent Seven" would equate to Jane Seymour's character in that show).

The storylines were, again if I recall correctly, rather trite and generic....and there was little suspense as you knew there was no real danger to our heroes because they had to come back for the following episode. And I'm really uncertain of this but I don't recall to much killing (if your expectations are indeed set for something grittier) of the bad guys, I could be wrong on this point, but I believe it might have been more "A-Team"-style where the bad guys either received minor wounds or were temporarily incapacitated (there might have been some killing but likely not of the graphic variety that might've risked the show losing its family appeal), and in the gunfights our heroes received the requisite minor shoulder and leg wounds (but I really could be mistaken, maybe the violence was indeed turned up a notch).

I think the show might be airing on one of the cable channels (maybe Showtime) so maybe you can preview an episode that way. Again, the casting of the seven gunfighters was really good and they seemed to have a nice on-screen chemistry that made the show palatable for a while but it was still not enough for me to call the whole thing "recommended".

edited to add: Ravenous, as an alternative, scrounge up another 40 bucks, add it to the money you would have spent on this show, and then get yourself a region-free player (if you don't have one already) and come join us in the "International Forum". If you really want to go broke as a DVD collector that's the place to do it (actually, a lot of overseas stuff is really affordable). I always advocate for people to "watch what you want to watch" but maybe consider that it is an available option either now or in the future. Though I'm sure there is plenty in Region 1 alone to keep your wallet busy.

Last edited by flixtime; 12-11-05 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-12-05, 05:37 AM

Wow man, thanks for the awesome reply! I dont think Ive ever seen anyone give one like that since Ive asked a specific question. Thats very rare!

I understand what youre saying, but I have to ask, would you say this show was in the vein of Hercules and Xena? I love Hercules and like Xena a bit, but Herc hardly killed anyone. Despite holding swords and stuff, theyd punch before kill. Very tounge in cheek. Would M7 be sorta like that?

I also like the ATeam. I was a kid when I would see the reruns and it reminded me of a live action GI Joe. My aunt loved this show and bought the seasons and let me see the first. I have to admit I dug it as a thing to kick back to or on those nights I cant sleep. I may start picking up these sets.

Of course both of the shows were driven by great actors and stuff. I was thinking M7 would at least have that
Old 12-12-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Wow man, thanks for the awesome reply! I dont think Ive ever seen anyone give one like that since Ive asked a specific question. Thats very rare!
You're very welcome (I do need to find myself a new hobby though, you know, something besides typing long-winded posts on a Internet discussion forum). Anyway, I just hope what I've written is accurate; it has been a number of years since I last watched an episode.

I understand what youre saying, but I have to ask, would you say this show was in the vein of Hercules and Xena? I love Hercules and like Xena a bit, but Herc hardly killed anyone. Despite holding swords and stuff, theyd punch before kill. Very tounge in cheek. Would M7 be sorta like that?

I also like the ATeam. I was a kid when I would see the reruns and it reminded me of a live action GI Joe. My aunt loved this show and bought the seasons and let me see the first. I have to admit I dug it as a thing to kick back to or on those nights I cant sleep. I may start picking up these sets.

Of course both of the shows were driven by great actors and stuff. I was thinking M7 would at least have that
I'm very much pro "The A-Team" and though I was more a "Highlander" guy, I did check out "Hercules" and "Xena" from time to time and was rather positive on what I saw. I suppose, again if I'm remembering correctly, the violence in "The Magnificent Seven" can be considered in the same group as the shows you mentioned (maybe even slightly violent in that there might have been some killing (but I really don't recall).

My problem with the show really didn't have to do with the way the action was handled. I understood it was a family show so it had to be rather tame. I think the whole PC/revisionist aspect put me off (whereas the sometimes anachronistic qualities of Hercules/Xena I found more charming than not) but what I really didn't like was how much time was given to the female lead in the show (she was played the the lead actress from the Jim Carrey film "The Majestic"). I didn't care for her character and it took away from the screen time of the others - and there were seven of them. Maybe try and think of it like if the woman sidekick in the "A-Team" had let's say double the amount of importance in an episode. I just wish "The Magnificent Seven" had been more a guy show like the "A-Team" as opposed to a family show.

Also, while you might enjoy the show one time through, I'm not sure how much replay value it would have. I called the show a loser but I didn't think it was awful really. As a big fan of Westerns it was mildly entertaining but there is just so much out there on DVD that I think you can find something more worthwhile to spend your cash on. While the DVD set doesn't seem to be that expensive to start with, and the casting of the seven gunfighters was well-done, and they did seem to have a certain on-screen camaraderie (like the guys on the "A-Team"). However, maybe wait for the second set to come out and decide a little further down the road if you want it or not (and get it during one of the future (hopefully) DDD 20% sales).

I don't know if the post will be of any use to you (actually I might have just muddied the issue more than provided clarity) but at least it'll bump this thread up for another run through the forum and hopefully some others (with a more fresh recollection than I) can chime in with their thoughts.
Old 01-22-06, 02:08 PM

Well I picked up the set this weekend on sale for $16.45! Also, DVDTalk put a review up recently and it got a pretty good one!

Anyone else end up picking this up? Any thoughts? Total blind buy for me. If I end up finding Young Riders cheap when that comes out, I may add it to my western collection as well