Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Discovering The Midnite Movies Collection - I Want Your Opinions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-06-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would always go to BB and browse around their horror section and I would always see their Midnite Movies(MGM) scattered throughout. Just yesterday I decided to take a chance and I picked up The Fall of the House of Usher and The Pit and The Pendulum(Double Feature). My wife and I LOVED The Fall of the House of Usher and we plan on watching The Pit and The Pendulum this weekend(non anamorphic )

I did a search on these Midnite Movies titles here on the forums and I found a few threads but most of them were about keeping the library open for future releases and whatnot....I didn't really find a thread or a section dedicated to the best of the series.

If it's not too much to ask, I would like to know which titles of the Midnite Movie lineup do you like the most and why(no spoilers please). I'd really like to start picking up more of these movies because it's like a nice breath of fresh air. Which ones are worth keeping? Are there any other versions of these films worldwide that are better quality?

Just recently I started getting into older movies(Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Gilda , Treasure of the Sierra Madre). Eventhough most of those black and white movies were made in the pre 50's era I want to expand a bit more and see what else is out there as far as other genre's are concerned. I love horror, suspense and sci fi....

Here is what I found on the Midnite Movies selection... there may be some missing, I am not sure.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again!
Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers
Theater of Blood
The Haunted Palace / The Tower of London
Psych-Out / The Trip
Empire of the Ants
The Dunwich Horror
Count Yorga, Vampire
Deranged/Motel Hell
Donovan's Brain
Invisible Invaders / Journey to the Seventh Planet
The Masque of the Red Death / The Premature Burial
The Comedy of Terrors / The Raven
The Tomb of Ligeia / An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
The Fall of the House of Usher
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Oblong Box / Scream and Scream Again
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Morons from Outer Space
I Bury the Living
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-07-05, 12:00 AM

If you like Pit and the Pendulum as much as you liked House of Usher, then you might as well pick up most of the other Roger Corman/Poe films, especially Masque of Red Death/Premature Burial. Premature Burial is only so-so (though it's interesting to see Ray Milland instead of Vincent Price for a change), but Masque of Red Death is probably the best of all eight. At least it has the highest production values and the biggest artistic ambitions (with a weird resemblance to Berman's Seventh Seal).
Old 12-07-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Panic in Year Zero/The Last Man on Earth
Old 12-07-05, 02:44 AM

This site has the most info I have been able to find on the "Midnite Movies" collection. Very thorough.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/
Old 12-07-05, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have all the Midnite movies except the Beach Party type movies, because I hate them so much.

My favorites are:

All the Vincent Price / Roger Corman Poe movies
Abominable Dr. Phibes / Dr. Phibes Rises Again!
Angry Red Planet
I Bury the Living (one of the creepeist horror films I've ever seen)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Monster That Challenged the World / It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Panic in Year Zero! / Last Man on Earth
Planet of the Vampires (incredibly eerie horror / sci-fi)
Voodoo Island / Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes

You can't go wrong with any of those!
Old 12-07-05, 07:55 AM

Things to bear in mind about the Midnite Movies:

The single title discs are all officially out of print. Some (but not all) have been re-released as parts of the Midnite Movies Double Features.

About 18 months back a whole load of the Doubles also went out of print for a while - seemingly on a random basis, some were recent releases, some weren't. They then all got re-released in the Spring of this year.

The moral of the tale is - if you like 'em, get 'em while you can.

There was also an almighty botchup in the last wave of releases - they were meant (in common with lots of the previous Midnites) to be exclusive to Best Buy, but also available "in certain online Canadian stores". But the deal with Best Buy fell through, so you could only get them in Canada! AFAIK the MGM/Best Buy tieup has ended, and they all went on general release in the US. Previously, they would be exclusive to BB and then re-appear generally later (maybe).

MGM have now been taken over by Sony, so the future of the range is by no means secure - MGM did a superb job with what are not mahor league titles, and at 2 films a disc they were great value.

Whether the range will remain in print, and will there be more in the future? Who knows?

If you liked the House of Usher/Pit and Pendulum, then you should at least invest in the other Corman/Poe films.

For myself, I have a lot of the range, though I wasn't interested in a few of them. They are all excellent value though, and they do look glorious picture quality wise.

The easiest way to get a list of them is to use DVD Aficianado and use "Midnite" as they keyword.

Last edited by Nebiroth; 12-07-05 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-07-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with the previous posters, get what you can of the Vincent Price and Corman flicks. Price is definitely the backbone of this collection.
Old 12-07-05, 09:18 AM

invaders from mars and killer klowns from outer space
Old 12-07-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Things to bear in mind about the Midnite Movies:

The single title discs are all officially out of print. Some (but not all) have been re-released as parts of the Midnite Movies Double Features.
Is there a difference between the single and the double sided versions other than having disc art? Any technical differences?

If you liked the House of Usher/Pit and Pendulum, then you should at least invest in the other Corman/Poe films.

For myself, I have a lot of the range, though I wasn't interested in a few of them. They are all excellent value though, and they do look glorious picture quality wise.
I'll take you advice on the Corman/Poe films! And I also noticed that the colors on these old movies is so much more rich. Like looking at an oil painting it seems. Even my wife was amazed...and she doesn't even get into older movies like this. She commented several times on how much nicer the picture looks compared to some of the newer movies out there. To me it's not that they are "better" so to speak, but just softer and richer. I definitely fell in love with the movie

Also, for the films that are in the Midnite collection that are NOT anamorphic....are there any other released versions elsewhere that do offer an anamorphic transfer?
Old 12-07-05, 01:40 PM

As far as I am aware, the double disc editions of the movies are identical to the single disc releases. Sadly, not all of the singles have made it to the doubles - it's been kind of assumed among collectors that if the range had kept going, eventually all of the old titles would be paired with a new one to make a Double.

I'm still hoping that they'll take the old single Dr Goldfoot film and pair it so that we get both The Bikini Machine and The Girl Bombs.

However, the good news is that what (in my view anyway) constitutes the finest films of the range - the Corman/Poe films are all available. As are the majority of the Vincent Price titles, and they're all quality stuff as well.
And at around $9 for two films, it's a no brainer!

I have quite a lot of the movies, but not the stuff like the biker movies, which didn't appeal to me at all. Still it takes all sorts..

As far as I am aware, the films in the Midnite range are not available from any other studio - they are the only editions available.
Old 12-07-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of the beach movies, don't remember which one, is a flipper on the single release, full screen one side/widescreen other. The double feature reissue is only the full screen version.
Old 12-07-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you liked House of Usher you will enjoy The Oblong Box / Scream and Scream Again

Empire of the Ants is alot of fun... 70's cheesy goodness

Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers are very good.

You also might want to check out the Hammer Horror Collection DVD's, they are very much the same sort of films.
Old 12-07-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hank1215
This site has the most info I have been able to find on the "Midnite Movies" collection. Very thorough.

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/
Hank, I wanted to thank you for referring me to that site. It has so much great info on the drive in movie genre! My kinda site! Thanks again!
Old 12-07-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

However, the good news is that what (in my view anyway) constitutes the finest films of the range - the Corman/Poe films are all available. As are the majority of the Vincent Price titles, and they're all quality stuff as well.
And at around $9 for two films, it's a no brainer!

I have quite a lot of the movies, but not the stuff like the biker movies, which didn't appeal to me at all. Still it takes all sorts..

As far as I am aware, the films in the Midnite range are not available from any other studio - they are the only editions available.
I am not too much into biker flicks. I like the styles and acting from these movies. Maybe it was just Vincent Price's performance or Myrna's stunning good looks that kept me glued to the screen...who knows. But I liked everything about the movie(Usher) and if there is more to be seen from Price and other movies like this one then I have alot to be excited about! I guess I am just a sucker for classic female beauty(Rita Hayworth, Veronica Lake, Eva Gardner, Lana Turner).

I just ordered Countess Dracula/Vampire Lovers so I look forward to checking that one out! Any other good female vampire flicks to look into?

I picked up Love at First Bite(yea I know, its cheesy) and one of the most memorable scenese from the movie was RUINED! They took out the music that was originally in the Disco Dance scene and replaced it with some other crap!

Since we are on the subject of these DVD releases....I know it's a broad question to ask but can these movies be made to look better? Or would they be better off looking a bit dated?? It makes me wonder what would happen if a company like Anchor Bay was given a chance to work with these old Midnite Movies titles. I wish MGM would show these titles a little more love than just barebones discs. yeah I am thankful to have them on DVD but imagine if they were to atleast give them SOME love...they'd be even better
Old 12-07-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deranged is by far the best of the lot, I think, but it doesn't go well with some of that other schlock.
Old 12-07-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely, check out Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers for the latter. Also, Theatre of Blood and Tomb of Ligeia are great.
Old 12-08-05, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

Check out Motel Hell/ Deranged and Society/ Spontanious Combustion (but, uh, don't bother with the latter film)
Old 12-09-05, 08:18 AM

The latter two aren't Midnites but that's being picky.

I would highly recommend anything with Vincent Price in it.

For a start, the Dr Phibes double is an absolute must-have.
Old 12-09-05, 10:17 PM

Tales of Terror/Twice Told Tales. I've only seen the last feature, which I recommend. And Price is in both!
Old 12-12-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dunno if these movies fit into the "midnite" genre but I found The Monster Legacy Gift Set. It has 3 busts(Frankie, Drac and Wolfie). I picked it up new for about $50 and change with my 30% off at Borders. The box was hidden behind the counter. I have never seen these movies but I am a sucker for horror flix(both bad and good). I hope this was a good blind buy

Also picked up Class of Nuk'em High Unrated DC, The Exterminator and Loverboy(VHS). Not exactly midnite horror but ....ah you get the idea

I started watching Tales of Terror Last Night. I got to the "Wine Tasting" episode about the black cat. I will finish it tonight. So far the transfer looks really nice on this one.
Old 12-13-05, 09:37 AM

The only drawback with the Legacy discs are that they are on those awful DVD-18 discs, which all too often fail to play properly! I would suggest that you play your discs all the way through as soon as you can, just in case...the other letdown is that Universal seem to have done very little in the way of restoration. For example, one of the films (Frankenstein vs the Wolfman I think) has a whacking great scratch on it in a night scene, which could easily have been fixed with a paintbox technique - the scene is nearly all black sky after all!

The Midnites are great titles, and MGM have got some great prints. I made sure I got all the Corman/Poe movies, nearly everything with Price in it for a start.

If you like Vampire movies, get the Count Yorga double - it's a great Vampire story set in modern times. And it has some lady neckbiters in it!
Old 12-13-05, 04:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i can't believe no one mentioned...

best...movie...ever!

i seriously saw this when i was a kid and it scared the crap out of me. i had to get it to re-live. it wasn't as scary, but deserves to be recognized.
Old 12-13-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i can't believe no one mentioned...

best...movie...ever!

i seriously saw this when i was a kid and it scared the crap out of me. i had to get it to re-live. it wasn't as scary, but deserves to be recognized.
You ain't my father....BILLY CONNERS is my daddy!
Old 12-14-05, 07:29 AM

It's out of print...all the MM singles are.
Old 12-14-05, 08:56 AM

Jessecrx wrote:
Hank, I wanted to thank you for referring me to that site. It has so much great info on the drive in movie genre! My kinda site! Thanks again!
Glad you enjoyed it. I stumbled on it a couple of years ago. Great reviews for all things drive-in related.

Hank

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.