DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06 (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/447796-new-planet-apes-discs-03-28-06-merged.html)

Cameron 12-06-05 01:40 AM

New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06

from the bits

By the way, it looks like 20th Century Fox is working on new single-disc releases of all of the classic Planet of the Apes movies. No word yet on whether they'll be remastered, or include any extras, but look for at least Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Battle for the Planet of the Apes and Conquest of Planet of the Apes on 3/28.

gorgo99 12-06-05 06:37 AM

Hope they are finally anamorphic.. and hope there is a new box set including the 2-disc original ; )

Droog 12-06-05 06:43 AM

Of course I just got the old box in the DDD 20% sale.:(

Mr. Cinema 12-06-05 07:43 AM

I bought the new 2-disc of the original on clearance at CompUSA a few weeks back. So I'll end up getting the single releases instead of what is sure to be a new box set.

marty888 12-06-05 08:25 AM

I held off on the box set, but did break down and get the two-disc POTA. Nice to see new versions of the sequels are finally on their way!

Geofferson 12-06-05 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
Hope they are finally anamorphic..

This is the reason I held off on buying the current box set. I'm in for the new ones if they are...

bboisvert 12-06-05 08:49 AM

So... why isn't Escape From on that list?

Doug Schiller 12-06-05 09:11 AM

Wait a sec. I thought the last SE release, the silver box, was finally anamorphic.
You mean, they re-released a non-anamorphic transfer???
Wow, that thas to be a first.

bboisvert 12-06-05 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Wait a sec. I thought the last SE release, the silver box, was finally anamorphic.
You mean, they re-released a non-anamorphic transfer???
Wow, that thas to be a first.

The first film has been rereleased in an anamorphic transfer, but the sequels have always only been available in that original (non-anamorphic) box.

And, while rare, that definitely wouldn't be a first. Ransom leaps to mind.

wm lopez 12-06-05 10:03 AM

<b>Modnote threadcrap deleted</b>

Cameron 12-06-05 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
So... why isn't Escape From on that list?

I assume they either overlooked it...or it will be a box set exclusive.

Doug Schiller 12-06-05 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
The first film has been rereleased in an anamorphic transfer, but the sequels have always only been available in that original (non-anamorphic) box.

And, while rare, that definitely wouldn't be a first. Ransom leaps to mind.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ransom is the odd one. I don't think there are too many more.
Even the sequels to the POTA weren't really re-released with new packaging. The first movie was and it is 16x9 now.

I think Oliver Stone's Born on the 4th of July was also released with a non-anamorphic transfer but it was technically the same disc (at least they corrected this).

Admiral7 12-06-05 11:03 AM

The Battlestar Galactica movie (re-edited from the first three episodes of the original series and released theatrically overseas) was also re-released on DVD with a still non-anamorphic transfer.

cultshock 12-06-05 11:38 AM

Finally! I'm sure these will be anamorphic like the 2 disc SE of the first film was. I always held off from buying the current box set, and now I can finally get the rest of the films. :banana:

gutwrencher 12-06-05 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cultshock
Finally! I'm sure these will be anamorphic like the 2 disc SE of the first film was. I always held off from buying the current box set, and now I can finally get the rest of the films. :banana:

:thumbsup:

I did buy the previous box set....but that was before I bought a proper TV.:lol:-rolleyes-

mmgreene 12-06-05 12:15 PM

While the 2-disc reissue of the original is anamorphic, it is also a noticeably inferior print. (DVDBeaver.com has a decent comparison.) If that trend continues, I'll live with the original box for now - $22 during DDD 20% sale.

Bill Needle 12-06-05 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by mmgreene
While the 2-disc reissue of the original is anamorphic, it is also a noticeably inferior print. (DVDBeaver.com has a decent comparison.) If that trend continues, I'll live with the original box for now - $22 during DDD 20% sale.

To be fair, DVDBeaver ultimately selected the reissue as having the better overall image with the anamorphic enhancement trumping the other slight differences.

Duality 12-06-05 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
To be fair, DVDBeaver ultimately selected the reissue as having the better overall image with the anamorphic enhancement trumping the other slight differences.

I respectfully disagree with their ultimate decision. The obvious loss of rich color and, to my eyes, sharpness of image is striking! Thank goodness I bought the original years ago.

Anamorpic or not, I wouldn't buy (or take as a gift) this 35th Anniversary edition. Here's hoping they get the new 2006 releases right.

Duality 12-06-05 12:49 PM

I wonder if Battle for the Planet of the Apes will have the missing TV footage restored.

Bill Needle 12-06-05 12:57 PM

Well, at least we know why you chose the screen name Duality! (Love, Mr. Cheaplaugh)

I have both releases, and to my eyes the color difference is there, but on the widescreen monitor the reissue's anamorphic enhancement is welcome. And regardless, the sequels weren't treated nearly as well as the original in the first issues.

Fok 12-06-05 01:52 PM

slightly off topic, when is burton going to do a sequel to his version?

milo bloom 12-06-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
slightly off topic, when is burton going to do a sequel to his version?

You're making with the funny aren't you? You and I are probably 2 of the 3 people that actually want to see that.

I've been waiting for these discs for sometime now. I got rid of my old boxset a few years back when the 2 disc of the first one was released, thinking the sequels would follow right behind. Well, I never picked up the 2 disc, always waiting for the right price, so I've had the remake, the TV series, and the 2 disc Behind the POTA release from Image sitting alone on my shelf for a few years now. As long as they release Escape with these, then that sounds like a good reason to pick them all up together.

Now, which was the sequel that had a really different version in Japan?

Cameron 12-30-05 06:51 PM

anybody found these up for preorder?

DavidH 12-30-05 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Schiller
Thanks for the clarification.

Ransom is the odd one. I don't think there are too many more.
Even the sequels to the POTA weren't really re-released with new packaging. The first movie was and it is 16x9 now.

I think Oliver Stone's Born on the 4th of July was also released with a non-anamorphic transfer but it was technically the same disc (at least they corrected this).

The second version of Nixon was also released non-anamorphically.

dx23 01-13-06 01:53 PM

Planet of the Apes : The Ultimate DVD Collection ----> 4/4/06

Tvshowsondvd is reporting that Fox is going to release Planet of the Apes : The Ultimate DVD Collection on April 4th. The set includes all films (even the Tim Burton remake), the TV series, the 1974 Animated series and some dvds with extras. Here is the link with the detailed info:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4891

Wouldn't it be nice if Fox released this set with the Ape head that other regions had?

Region 2 set:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedi...ead_r2play.jpg