Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06 (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I bet CC doesn't get very many pre-orders at THAT price.Ouch!
Old 03-19-06, 05:52 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Actually, it wasn't included as part of VHS box set. You had to send away for it with a coupon and the UPCs from each film you got from purchasing the box set.
My set had the tape included in it - not in the box, but attached with shrinkwrap. Never sent away for anything. (I may be mistaken, but I believe initial shipments had the extra tape, and later shipments used the send-away method.) Of course, this is all VHS, and who cares about VHS?
Old 03-19-06, 05:53 PM

...so, no it doesn't look like it has all the features from the 35th Anniversary. So I'd either hold onto that, or the Image 2 disc of Behind if you want 'everything'.
I just went to DeepDiscountDVD.com, and they seem to have updated their information for the Legacy Set. Some of the extras mentioned above are shown being integrated into their respective discs. I don't have any versions of any of these movies yet - but it looks like maybe the makeup tests, home movies, and outtakes are still missing from this list.

DVD Features:
6-Disc Set
Widescreen
Audio:
(unspecified) - English
THX Certified Dolby Digital 5.1 -
English
Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
Additional Release Material:
Trailers - Original Theatrical Trailers
(Entire Movie Series)

Disc 1: PLANET OF THE APES (1968)
Audio:
DTS - English
Mono - Spanish
Dolby Digital Surround - French
Audio Commentary - 1. Jerry Goldsmith -
Composer
2. Roddy Mc Dowell, Natalie Trundy, Kim
Hunter - Stars, John Chambers - Make-up
Artist
3. Eric Greene - PLANET OF THE APES
series expert (Text Only)

Disc 2: BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES
- Single Disc Version
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 3: ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE
APES - Single Disc Version
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Documentary - "Don Taylor Directs
ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES"

Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 4: CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Documentary - "J. Lee Thompson Directs
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES"

Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 5: BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE
Audio:
Mono - English, French
(Entire Movie Series)
Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks - Self-Contained Website
(Behind the Scenes, Game, Additional
Content)

Disc 6: PLANET OF THE APES - LEGACY BOX
SET - Supplemental Material
Documentary - “Behind the Planet of the
Apes”
Old 03-19-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
I just went to DeepDiscountDVD.com, and they seem to have updated their information for the Legacy Set. Some of the extras mentioned above are shown being integrated into their respective discs. I don't have any versions of any of these movies yet - but it looks like maybe the makeup tests, home movies, and outtakes are still missing from this list.

DVD Features:
6-Disc Set
Widescreen
Audio:
(unspecified) - English
THX Certified Dolby Digital 5.1 -
English
Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
(Entire Movie Series)

Disc 1: PLANET OF THE APES (1968)
Audio:
DTS - English
Mono - Spanish
Dolby Digital Surround - French
Audio Commentary - 1. Jerry Goldsmith -
Composer
2. Roddy Mc Dowell, Natalie Trundy, Kim
Hunter - Stars, John Chambers - Make-up
Artist
3. Eric Greene - PLANET OF THE APES
series expert (Text Only)

Disc 2: BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES
- Single Disc Version
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 3: ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Documentary - "Don Taylor Directs
ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES"

Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 4: CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE
Audio:
Mono - English, French
Documentary - "J. Lee Thompson Directs
CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES"

Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks

Disc 5: BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE
Audio:
Mono - English, French
(Entire Movie Series)
Text/Photo Galleries:
Biographies - Cast
DVD-ROM:
Weblinks - Self-Contained Website
(Behind the Scenes, Game, Additional
Content)

Disc 6: PLANET OF THE APES - LEGACY BOX
SET - Supplemental Material
Documentary - “Behind the Planet of the
Apes”
That's the way they were on the Evolution box set, too.
Old 03-19-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
You have two people in this thread that say there was no 5-discer and I could find no evidence of a 5-discer on any online retailer.

I think the burden of proof falls on your shoulders, you're the only one that claims that it even exists.

Wow, two whole people. One more than me, so that really puts you in the right, doesn't it? Regardless, as far as burden of proof, I'd say we're in the same boat, because you've yet to disprove me in any concrete way, either. Believe me, as I stated in my last post, I wish I could prove myself right with photo proof, but right now there's very little way for me to do that.

So in the interest of not carrying on a stupid little war, I'll just drop the subject for now. You can believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want - and we'll just leave it at that.
Old 03-19-06, 07:12 PM
Banned

An eBay or Google Image search would bring up pictures of this phantom release if it existed but it doesn't, and it's also not listed on DVD Aficionado. There's no evidence of this 5-disc set existing except for your claim.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 03-19-06 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-19-06, 08:48 PM

So it sounds like for someone like me who loves the 'Apes' movies, has nothing (except Burton's 2 disc), but wants everything I can get pertaining to the movies, I would want to pick up the Legacy Box Set plus the Behind the Planet of the Apes 2 disc special edition, which has the extended Roddy McDowell interviews (which sound fascinating) plus a few other features not on the Legacy set?

To avoid double dipping, I guess I could get all the individual single discs of the movies being released on 3/28, in addition to the older, 2 disc 'Behind', but it sounds like that would actually turn out to be more expensive.

Sound right?
Old 03-19-06, 09:17 PM
Banned

So it sounds like for someone like me who loves the 'Apes' movies, has nothing (except Burton's 2 disc), but wants everything I can get pertaining to the movies, I would want to pick up the Legacy Box Set plus the Behind the Planet of the Apes 2 disc special edition, which has the extended Roddy McDowell interviews (which sound fascinating) plus a few other features not on the Legacy set?
There's stuff on the 35th Anniversary Edition that's not on the Image "Behind" disc and vice-versa. If you want all the extras you'd want to own Disc 2 of the 35th edition (which is included in the Ultimate edition but not the Legacy edition) AND the Image disc.

I'm in a completely different boat than you, I have every single "Apes" related DVD released before these and I plan on getting the "Ultimate" set and keeping my "Battle" disc for the theatrical cut and the Image disc for the exclusive extras.
Old 03-19-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah i had been wavering, but the ape head is going to be mine.

As far as the 5 disc vs 6 disc box set thing goes, I will share this. I manage a video store. I had passed on the POTA box set for years because of the lack of anamorphic transfers. We has a box open (when it used to retail at 89.99), and played it in the store, so I had seen it recently enough that I didn't need to own it. Then the price drop came, I remember getting the download sheet, and seeing it. I changed the sticker price myself.

I have to say that the burden of proof is with you. Not a single e-tailer even has this from private sellers. It doesn't show up on any of the cataloging sites, running a search on this website or any of the other major dvd forums bring no mention of it. Ultimately...your right. It's not that big a deal, and never did I mean to cause an argument. The set you speak of however is a myth. Choose to belive it, or not...I won't lose any sleep over it, and neither should you.
Old 03-20-06, 11:50 AM

There's stuff on the 35th Anniversary Edition that's not on the Image "Behind" disc and vice-versa. If you want all the extras you'd want to own Disc 2 of the 35th edition (which is included in the Ultimate edition but not the Legacy edition) AND the Image disc.
From what I can tell, I would be missing out on certain still galleries and Roddy McDowell's home movies that are on the 35th anniversary edition. I think I can live with that - but is there anything else you can think of?
Old 03-20-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah but you are quite wrong, as there is a "Behind"-less release.

The original Evolution box set cost $99.99 when it first came out in 2000, and has the words "Limited Edtion" printed above the tilte on the box set.

A year or two later, it was re-released sans the "Behind" doc and "Limited Edition" printing, and at a reduced price of $49.99.
Are you sure you're referring to a region 1 release, Rocketdog2000?
Old 03-20-06, 12:09 PM
Banned

You miss out on the McDowall home movies, which are about 20 minutes, and a few smaller things like the teaser trailer for the first film, some short galleries (these are essentially still galleries but they actually play as short video files) and one of the best easter eggs ever: the vintage Mego action figure commercial, which runs about 1:30.
Old 03-20-06, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

So who else is excited for this Damn Dirty Ape Head

Its almost here the ape head date of Mar. 28 i put in my order couple of weeks ago..and personally cant wait..looks really cool to me if you got the space.....
Old 03-20-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Are you sure you're referring to a region 1 release, Rocketdog2000?
Yep, I spoke with two other people who work in retail today that clearly remember this pacakage. One in particular who said they had both versions at one time, and wondered why the package for one was smaller than the other, then saw it no longer had the bonus disc. But right now, as far as I'm concernded it's a moot point, so that's the last I've got to say about, unless I happen to actually come across one, and can get a picture of it. Other than that, I'm done talking about it.
Old 03-20-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spc d nuts
Its almost here the ape head date of Mar. 28 i put in my order couple of weeks ago..and personally cant wait..looks really cool to me if you got the space.....

Well, depends on where you want to put it. I haven't seen one out of the box yet, but I have looked at one in the packaging still. The box it comes in is about 10" to 11" wide, about the same deep, and about 12" to 14" tall. I didn't have a ruler to actually measure the thing, so that's by site estimation. I imagine there's a bit of styrofoam, or buffer packaging in the box, too, to keep it sturdy, so that'll knock down an inch or 2.
It also ships in a standard cardboard box that is just big enough to fit the actual package in, with no other filler between - so if anyone's worried about it being damaged by shipping, keep that in mind, too. The two I saw had no dents or other defects, and shipped that way - so you may be ok, depending on who the shipper is.
Wish I could have seen the actual product, but since if it weren't for connections, I wouldn't even have seen it two weeks early at all, I'm not complaining that much. I also know that If I really want one, at least I have one waiting for me, and in good shape. but, it's either that, or a DVD recorder, so I'm still on the fence at the moment.
Old 03-20-06, 10:28 PM
Banned

Yep, I spoke with two other people who work in retail today that clearly remember this pacakage. One in particular who said they had both versions at one time, and wondered why the package for one was smaller than the other, then saw it no longer had the bonus disc. But right now, as far as I'm concernded it's a moot point, so that's the last I've got to say about, unless I happen to actually come across one, and can get a picture of it. Other than that, I'm done talking about it.
I spoke to two people today that swore that they personally manufactured every DVD copy of a "Planet of the Apes" movie that was ever produced and that no such release exists.

The moral of the story? Saying "I spoke to two people that said this and that" really means nothing. You should be able to find a picture or a UPC or some evidence.
Old 03-20-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I spoke to two people today that swore that they personally manufactured every DVD copy of a "Planet of the Apes" movie that was ever produced and that no such release exists.

The moral of the story? Saying "I spoke to two people that said this and that" really means nothing. You should be able to find a picture or a UPC or some evidence.
Listen to yourself, and let it go. All you're proving to anyone now, is what a complete ass you are. Must feel great!
Old 03-21-06, 05:27 AM

Just a heads up... I received shipping confirmation that I will be receiving the head today (a week early). Haven't decided if I'll break the shrink wrap yet.
Old 03-21-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

from where you ordered it Mark?
Old 03-21-06, 08:15 AM
Cool New Member

ya mine is here tomorrow...got confirmation as well form digital eyes
Old 03-21-06, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Listen to yourself, and let it go. All you're proving to anyone now, is what a complete ass you are. Must feel great!

MOD NOTE: I strongly suggest both of you let it go. Any more exchanges between the two of you will just be deleted.

thx
Old 03-21-06, 11:31 AM

So do we really have much confidence that they'll release the animated series individually? I would really like to see it, but I don't want to invest in the ape head, since I already have the tv series and will be picking up the legacy set.
Old 03-21-06, 12:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
35th Anniversary?

Did anyone's WS edition have some major scuffing and creases on the outer slipcase? all the ones i saw were so ugly and damaged. nothing bad to the discs, but i am so anal...

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-21-06 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MarkAtHome
Just a heads up... I received shipping confirmation that I will be receiving the head today (a week early). Haven't decided if I'll break the shrink wrap yet.
No shrink wrap on the package I saw. There's an outer cardboard slipcase (that has all the picture's, and list's the contents) that wraps around a plain white box, and has little tape seals holding it in place (2 on top, two on bottom).

Exact specs on the size of the box (as I did measure it today) = 12" wide, 10.5" deep, 14" tall.

Regarding the actual ape head, the picture on the front of the box says "actuall size shown", and measuring that it's 10" wide, 11.5 " tall. I can only guess on the width, but I'd say it's between 6" and 8".

As I couldn't really open the whole thing up, I did at least peak under the top flap, and the first thing you will come across is the "certificate of authenticity" with the number of production (this one was something like 06496 of 10,000). It seemed to be fairly well encased in styrofoam - so there shouldn't be too much damaged encoured during shipping.
Old 03-21-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody have instore prices?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.