Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06 (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Planet of the Apes Discs 03.28.06 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 08:26 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI--Amazon has a preorder page up. They're currently offering the set for $125.99 (30% off).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...v=glance&n=130
Old 01-14-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Droog
Of course I just got the old box in the DDD 20% sale.
If it's any consolation, they look better than many anamorphic catalog titles in my collection.
Old 01-14-06, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From dvdactive.com:

Title: Planet of the Apes
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 4th April 2006
SRP: $179.98

Further Details:

Fox Home Entertainment has released early details on the Planet of the Apes: Ultimate DVD Collection, a fourteen-disc package that includes the five original movies, along with all fourteen episodes of the TV show, and the 2001 Tim Burton remake. Final details are still a little sketchy I'm afraid, although we can confirm that the set will arrive in a rather elaborate monkey head from the 4th April. The retail price should be set at around $179.98 or thereabouts. The original films will also be available seperately. We'll bring you further details shortly. For now though, here's a peak at some of the monkey themed packaging:
Monkey packaging here !!!!!!!!!!

Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
The monkey head is pretty cool but I never really cared for the sequels. Sounds like a fantastic set, though. Who woulda thought R1 would get this?
Old 01-14-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
how did it work with the R2 godzilla head
It didn't. The Godzilla head included in the box set was just a (sort of) replica of the '54 Godzilla costume head. The discs weren't meant to, and couldn't fit inside the head itself (and it involved about double the number of discs as the POTA set).

I'm all over the new POTA set though. I held off on the original box set due to lack of anamorphic transfers, so I'll just have duplicates of the SE of the original film, and the TV series set. And it'll be great to have the animated series too, that was an unexpected bonus.

One thing maybe missing to make this complete though: how about the longer TV cut of BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES? (it was released on Japanese LD years ago)

Last edited by cultshock; 01-14-06 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i really dig the new head as well...got rid of the old disc a while back, and held off on the two discer...
Old 01-14-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
This will be my most prized DVD possession.

A lot of people are assuming the sequels will be anamorphic, but didn't it say somewhere that they were the same discs from the old set. Any have confirmation that they are now anamorphic?
Old 01-14-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would wait for reviews before purchasing this...just in case
Old 01-14-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nothing confirmed...i do remember back in a fox chat that they wanted to re-release anamorphic transfers, but it was not cost effective at the time.

but its such a rare occasion these days that either new release or re-release titles are non anamorphic....(Payback, House, Etc.) But its few and far between....i think its a safe bet that fox is going to revamp them....if your going to put enough effort to use a monkey head, and dig up the cartoon, i think you can get an anamorphic transfer going.
Old 01-15-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I haven't heard anything definite, I'm just assuming they will be anamorphic. I'll hold off buying the set and wait for an official word, but it would be incredibly stupid of Fox to go through all this trouble and release the same old transfers of the four sequels.
Old 01-15-06, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where exactly is it indicated that these discs have been remastered at all? I was under the impression that they were the exact same discs, merely repackaged into one all inclusive set.
Old 01-15-06, 12:55 AM

Does anyone know how the monkey head will store the discs?
Old 01-15-06, 08:35 AM

Confirmed anamorphic!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4904

I also say there how I *think* the discs will go into that ape-head case.

Plus, a complete disc-by-disc breakdown of content and confirmation of the date change (which Amazon hasn't caught up to yet).
Old 01-15-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by David Lambert
Confirmed anamorphic!

Plus, a complete disc-by-disc breakdown of content and confirmation of the date change (which Amazon hasn't caught up to yet).
Old 01-15-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Confirmed anamorphic!

From the link:
We warn you that the art shown above IS for Region 2 (Europe), and our showing it to you is purely speculative where Region 1 (North America) is concerned. Our reasons for showing that are based solely on Mike Snider's comments in USA Today that the packaging will be "ape-head-shaped". Fox has not verified the packaging design to us, nor have they provided any pictures to us.
I would like to point out that in the actual, physical, newspaper article in USA Today, they had a picture of the same ape head in the R2 picture minus the discs and the box. Just FYI.
Old 01-15-06, 08:54 AM

Numes, fair enough that I wrote that confusingly. I just re-worded that section of the story:

Our reasons for showing that are based solely on Mike Snider's comments in USA Today that the packaging will be "ape-head-shaped" and while that picture wasn't shown in the online version of the story, we're told the disc-less version of the picture did appear in the print version of Mike Snider's story. Fox has not verified the packaging design to us at TVShowsOnDVD, nor have they provided any pictures to us.
In other words, Fox probably provided that pic to Mike Snider/USA Today, but if so then they didn't provide it to us. For all we know it came from the Amazon UK listing, but it probably didn't. We didn't see the print article ourselves, although you're not the first person to tell us that the print version contained that pic. Anyway, I should have been more clear about the fact that Snider's brief included the pic, that he likely got that pic from Fox (though we can't verify that), and that's why we believe that the R1 version of the set will be the ape-head design (which is why I show an R2 package pic at all, something I never, ever do!).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by David Lambert; 01-15-06 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-15-06, 09:11 AM

It's good that R1 is finally getting packaging like this. I hope we get more...
Old 01-15-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Say, Fox, I'm going to need you to go ahead and release those 16x9 sequels and the animated series separately. My wife just caught sight of that Ape head, and just about started throwing holy water at the screen. So, kudos for creative thinking, but not this time.
Old 01-15-06, 11:27 AM

The 16x9 sequels will be released separately. Since it's not "TV-on-DVD" news, I didn't mention it there. I think DVDActive.com has already stated it, though.
Old 01-15-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Confirmed anamorphic!

Great news, and nice breakdown.

It's looking almost certain that we will be getting the same ape head as region 2. Don't let us down, Fox! I'm wondering what it's made of. Some kind of rubber or vinyl with what looks like rooted hair.

At any rate, for those who don't want to pay the extra money, I'm sure the limited status is referring to the ape head itself. After that sells out, Fox more than likely issue the box set sans head, at a lower price point, and that one probably won't be limited.
Old 01-15-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 16x9 sequels will be released separately.
Good to know. No way would I buy that fugly ape head.
Old 01-15-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
I've been reading the ape head will also be used in the US version, which I think is terrible news.

I've got no problem with it being available for those who want such things, but it should also be out there in more traditional, less cumbersome packaging.

I agree.

Originally Posted by Easy
Good to know. No way would I buy that fugly ape head.
Nor will I. The problem with having them released seperately, however, is that it will cost a bit more to buy them individually. I would hope that they might come out with just a standard boxed set.

I don't want dolls and toys in my home theater. They belong in my 3 year olds game room.
Old 01-15-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spartanstew

I don't want dolls and toys in my home theater. They belong in my 3 year olds game room.
You'd better stay out of my home theatre then. I think toys and memorbilia are ok in there, as long as they are movie related. Same with the posters, lobby cards and film programs I have on the walls.
Old 01-15-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

while i do like the ape head, i am glad the sequels are being released separately. i don't care for the burton one or the tv series. the only good sequel was the first one. mmmmmmm, linda harrison.

Old 01-15-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
I hate to say it but I am so going to waste my money on this. I can't resist having the giant head or the cartoon. I enjoyed the TV show but it's sat on my shelf after the first watch. I hated the remake and already own it. But it's too cool of a set to pass on, hopefully the price will be even better elsewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.