DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Specs of Star Wars Trilogy Box Set coming out 12/6? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/447677-specs-star-wars-trilogy-box-set-coming-out-12-6-a.html)

joltman 12-05-05 09:27 AM

Specs of Star Wars Trilogy Box Set coming out 12/6?

Does anyone know what the specs are of the Star Wars original Trilogy box set that's coming out on tuesday (12/6)?
Is it the same as the previously released set without the 4th bonus disc?
Please only discuss specs of the new release in this thread.

Mr. Cinema 12-05-05 10:15 AM

I believe the only extras are cast and crew commentaries on each disc. The running tmie of the films is the same as the previous 4-disc set, so the cuts appear to be the same. Hopefully they fixed the sound issues. I think A New Hope had audio problems. I'm sure someone on here can go into detail on that issue.

Tha Freak 12-05-05 10:39 AM

what are the audio issue in ANH ??

haven't noticed any ??

Someone could please define & explain ??

rennervision 12-05-05 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tha Freak
what are the audio issue in ANH ??

John Williams' score is reversed in the rear channels so the rear left matches the front right, and the rear right matches the front left.

When Rogue Squadron descends toward the Death Star, John Williams' score fades down to the point where it is barely audible, instead of increasing in intensity like it does on all previous versions (including the DVD's own French language track!).

If your subwoofer is on when the Jawas zap R2-D2, his fall to the ground causes the entire house to shake as if the Death Star exploded right above you.

Tha Freak 12-05-05 11:11 AM

Hmmmm? haven't noticed the inverted channels and the fade out...

true That I was listening to it at low volume at that time...I lived in the condo...

I also just added a sub to my set up...

A movie on the "next week end list"!!

Snowmaker 12-05-05 11:13 AM

Do they offer a fixed DVD?

Masamune 12-05-05 11:16 AM

BAH!!!

Oh well. I'm gonna wait for the 6 disc set for all 6 movies. I'll hang onto my audio ruined copies... ;)

darmok 12-05-05 11:18 AM

the only thing i want from this particular reissue set is the original artwork. boy, did that first boxset artwork sucked. any four year old could've done a better cut-n-paste job on the covers.

bboisvert 12-05-05 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Do they offer a fixed DVD?

Not for the audio issues -- just for an issue where certain players had trouble with Episode IV. The audio on the replacement discs is identical. The official word from Lucasfilm is that these were "creative" decisions and the audio is not defective.

I can accept the creative decision for the Jawa/R2 thing -- although it is nuts.
But it becomes difficult to accept that the lack of music for that scene of the Death Star attack was intentional.
And to claim that reversed rear music channels is a purposeful decision is laughable.

I'm really hoping for some audio fixes in this new set and I await the reviews.

rennervision 12-05-05 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by darmok
the only thing i want from this particular reissue set is the original artwork. boy, did that first boxset artwork sucked. any four year old could've done a better cut-n-paste job on the covers.

I borrowed them from my father, and actually thought for a moment he inadvertently purchased bootlegs off Ebay! :lol:

Christi P 12-05-05 03:55 PM

I held off on buying these because the boxed set was so ugly. I was about to buy it several times, but just couldn't get exited about having an ugly, flimsy-looking box. I am really exited about this reissue, which I am picking up tomorrow.

calhoun07 12-05-05 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
I held off on buying these because the boxed set was so ugly. I was about to buy it several times, but just couldn't get exited about having an ugly, flimsy-looking box. I am really exited about this reissue, which I am picking up tomorrow.

Bummer about the fourth disc not being included, though. I wasn't too much of the design of the first box either, but man, that extra disc is one of the finest extras disc I've seen in a while.

DVD King 12-05-05 04:09 PM

it baffles me how someone could not want a set of dvds because they think the box is ugly, you're missing out on a whole other disk!

Fok 12-05-05 04:28 PM

I wonder if Lucas is going to change the movies again in the next release.
In regards to this set, why would they release it again?

eau 12-05-05 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fok
I wonder if Lucas is going to change the movies again in the next release.
In regards to this set, why would they release it again?

Because it's Christmas and everyone is shopping for gifts :) Besides, hardcore fans will buy everything Star Wars that Luca$ throw out in the market.

DrStrangeL0ve71 12-05-05 04:57 PM

Its the same as the set now just minus the 4th disc. Thats it! It's cheaper and you don't get the 4th disc.

bboisvert 12-05-05 05:35 PM

Yes, the rerelease is because:

1. A "new" release will get prime shelf space, which is ideal during the holiday shopping season.
2. This is slightly cheaper at retail than the original 4-disc set, so "casual" buyers may be tempted by the price tag.
3. Completists (or, as this thread shows, people who focus on packaging) will buy.

But, for most people who already have the first set, this release is easily ignored... which is what I'm doing (aside from the question about what the audio is like on ANH).

Eric D. 12-05-05 06:48 PM

The ONLY reason I'll buy this again is if they fixed the audio issues.

CertifiedTHX 12-05-05 09:23 PM

As I said in the other, now-closed thread, I will not be buying this. I see no purpose in adding it to my collection. I already have the movies, I don't mind the 4-disc cover art (though the cardboard stock is cheap), and new packaging is no incentive for me to spend an extra $40. I'm a collector, but I don't have to have every new release of Star Wars just for new cover art. Forty dollars can buy a lot of other DVDs. Next time I purchase anything Star Wars will be when the Mega Set comes out.

--THX

paulringodaman 12-05-05 11:21 PM

I love Star Wars..but not enough to buy this set or any other set on DVD.

gryffinmaster 12-06-05 12:09 AM

Unless they change the cover art on all three of the discs and do something truly sharp with the packaging, I'm sticking with the seven disc in a customized box - or if Lucas does the unthinkable and decides to doctor the newer editions back the way they were when re-issued in the late 90's.

Qui Gon Jim 12-06-05 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.

Same here, and I am as hardcore as they get. The PQ on the discs is phenomenal, but I would be over-the-moon happy to double dip if the audio mix/score was rebalanced.

darmok 12-06-05 09:43 AM

i saw it early this morning at Target. it has the same type of cheap cardboard box (not the sturdy type). did anyone buy one and cracked it open yet? i'm dying to know if the cover art has the classic artwork!

Count de Monet 12-06-05 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.

If the audio needs to be "fixed" (as opposed to it being changed as a "creative decision"), then you shouldn't have to pay at all. That's why I doubt the audio issues will ever be "fixed" in the traditional sense. However, I'm sure there will be plenty more "creative decisions" in the years and future formats to come.

Wannabe 12-06-05 11:12 AM

are the individual keep cases the same as last year's release?