Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Specs of Star Wars Trilogy Box Set coming out 12/6?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Specs of Star Wars Trilogy Box Set coming out 12/6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
If you want a complete set of extras, buy the 4D set. There's no guarantee that any extras here will be rehashed on a later set. The 4th disc is good too.
Thanks I'll make sure and put it on my my friend puts it on his Christmas list.
Old 12-08-05, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so if I don't have the original 3 Star Wars movies on DVD, should I just pick up this one? I don't see myself watching any extras, I guess, since the new 3 Star Wars movies killed the franchise for me, more or less.

I remember watching the VHS tapes till the VCR ate the strip when I was little. And now I'm having a hard time parting with 35 bucks for them, haha. But still, I guess I need them sometime, for completion's sake. It shames me if I go on only owning the 3 movies that ruined it for me.

Box sets are just a hard buy for me.
Old 12-08-05, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
So if someone has neither (just the old "5 star" version).... Is the "bonus disk" worth the $18, or should "my friend" go the cheap way out and buy the three-disc for now (and buy another DVD too) and wait for the inevitable deluxe edition that may never come...
I've seen the Bonus Disc selling for $5 used at a few after-market shops. I wouldn't pay more than that for it. I don't consider it that great of a disc, despite the use of some really cool outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage in the otherwise salesmanlike documentary. It reminds me quite a bit of the INDIANA JONES bonus disc. Some nice never-before-released footage here and there but an overall superficial, committee-produced feel to it. Hopefully the ultra-super-mega-deluxe boxset down the road will rectify that.
Old 12-08-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok.. Maybe my brain is just iced over like the roads were this morning, but...

wtf is an "after market shop"? Is that a pawn shop? A gamestop/EB games? I'm guessing not eBay cause I'm sure that shipping would be higher than $5.
Old 12-08-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Ok.. Maybe my brain is just iced over like the roads were this morning, but...

wtf is an "after market shop"? Is that a pawn shop? A gamestop/EB games? I'm guessing not eBay cause I'm sure that shipping would be higher than $5.
I have found many, many good deals on used DVDs at places like pawn shops, used CD stores and EB/Gamestops. If you'll look at my DVD collection below, I've noted every used disc in my collection.

For slavetotherave, if you can put your glowsticks down long enough , I'd say that they're still a pretty decent deal. The new release does have the commentaries which were pretty informative (Leia is 19 in ANH and has a PHD!). I enjoyed the prequels, but I still enjoy the OT more. I wore out many a VHS copies back in the day myself, so I know where you're coming from.

And to tie the two answers together, I see plenty of the 4 disc set in used places all the time, so you could probably get a good deal on that too.
Old 12-08-05, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
Ok, so if I don't have the original 3 Star Wars movies on DVD, should I just pick up this one? I don't see myself watching any extras, I guess, since the new 3 Star Wars movies killed the franchise for me, more or less.

I remember watching the VHS tapes till the VCR ate the strip when I was little. And now I'm having a hard time parting with 35 bucks for them, haha. But still, I guess I need them sometime, for completion's sake. It shames me if I go on only owning the 3 movies that ruined it for me.

Box sets are just a hard buy for me.
Well...if you buy this box, you wont get the ORIGINAL Star Wars films, but the new "enhanced" 2004 versions...I dont know if that was what you meant
Old 12-08-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the set with the bonus disk going OOP or will both boxset remain in production ?
Old 12-08-05, 05:27 PM

No one but Lucas knows...But I think you will be able to get both sets for quite a while...neither set is limited
Old 12-08-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

actually the new set has a sticker that says for a limited time only
Old 12-08-05, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
actually the new set has a sticker that says for a limited time only
It might as well...no one is gonna buy it anyway
Old 12-08-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DanishDVDfreak
Well...if you buy this box, you wont get the ORIGINAL Star Wars films, but the new "enhanced" 2004 versions...I dont know if that was what you meant

I realize that, though now I'm not sure if slavetotherave does.

Regardless, I have multiple VHS and LD copies of the Holy Trilogy to hold me over, but the DVDs will suffice for now for the basic story of Eps IV-V-VI. They tweaked the Greedo shooting first bit so it's not so horrible, and they removed Luke's scream from TESB. That bothered me more than the Greedo bit honestly. I don't care what Lucas or Yoda says, when Luke silently stepped off that gantry, that was his Trial, and he went from Padawan to Knight right there. Having him scream (and a recycled Emperor scream, no less) lessened the impact of that so badly.
Old 12-08-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
...and they removed Luke's scream from TESB. That bothered me more than the Greedo bit honestly. I don't care what Lucas or Yoda says, when Luke silently stepped off that gantry, that was his Trial, and he went from Padawan to Knight right there. Having him scream (and a recycled Emperor scream, no less) lessened the impact of that so badly.
WORD.
Old 12-08-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since the new 3 Star Wars movies killed the franchise for me, more or less.
I think you answered your own question. If you hate the prequels so much that they killed the franchise for you, why would you even bother buying this or any Star Wars DVD? I assume I didn't misread that.
Old 12-09-05, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
I think you answered your own question. If you hate the prequels so much that they killed the franchise for you, why would you even bother buying this or any Star Wars DVD? I assume I didn't misread that.

Yeah, and that's true. And I bought the newer ones because I wanted to see them since I didn't go to the theaters for them... but like I said, box sets are just such a hard decision for me. It must me some psychological thing.
Old 12-09-05, 03:03 AM

Why would you buy a movie you don't like for the sake of being complete? Makes little sense.
Old 12-09-05, 03:32 AM

Does anyone have any idea when the prequel box sets come out?
Old 12-09-05, 04:36 AM
Banned

There is no prequel or saga box set coming out any time soon.
Old 12-09-05, 08:13 AM

Why would you buy a movie you don't like for the sake of being complete? Makes little sense.
That's because you don't understand. I don't hate the original Star Wars movies. By "ruined the series for me" I mean I am far less excited about them than I used to be. I thought the news ones weren't very engaging at all. But I kept getting them each time in high hopes that it would be better than the one before it. I'm just wondering if this box set is worth it or if I should hold out for something else to get the original episodes just because it feels dirty to only own the new trilogy.
Old 12-09-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is going to turn out like the other one.....and get closed.
Old 12-09-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They all do.
Old 12-09-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Strongly agree.
Old 12-09-05, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slavetotherave
That's because you don't understand. I don't hate the original Star Wars movies. By "ruined the series for me" I mean I am far less excited about them than I used to be. I thought the news ones weren't very engaging at all. But I kept getting them each time in high hopes that it would be better than the one before it. I'm just wondering if this box set is worth it or if I should hold out for something else to get the original episodes just because it feels dirty to only own the new trilogy.

If you can find a good deal (maybe even used like I posted above), I think they're a pretty good holdover. It's likely to be awhile before we see any huge, extras-laden superboxset, so I'd so go for it.

And even if you don't like the prequels, you have to admit there are bits and pieces here and there that give certain scenes in the original movies new meanings and subtexts.
Old 12-19-05, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But I kept getting them each time in high hopes that it would be better than the one before it.
Wait a minute! You hated Episode 1, but you bought it anyway. You hated Episode 2, but you bought it as well. Then you hated Episode 3 and bought it. I don't get it. It took you 3 films to figure out you didn't like any of them, yet you still bought them? Okay!