DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   STargate DVDs query (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/447565-stargate-dvds-query.html)

thundergod 12-04-05 01:48 AM

STargate DVDs query

Before I place an order for buying these DVDs from the DDD boxset sale, I heard season 8 boxset there is a problem with it?

ALso how good are these dvds? To those that own the STarGate series on DVD are there any problems?

Are the dvds itself good quality? No reported faults or bad packaing or anything like that?

AOD 12-04-05 08:55 AM

There is no functional defect per say. The episode "Threads" is the 42 minute cut down version, while the 63 minute Sci-Fi channel version is the one they should have put on the discs in the first place. See thread below for more info. Oh, the set is worth it though.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....light=stargate

John*D 12-04-05 09:36 AM

Season 5 was missing the "stills gallery" feature originally, I'm not sure if was included on REpressed sets or whether or not you are getting it? MGM use to have a thing where you request it via email and they mail it out to you. If its not included in your copy of S5 you're not missing much, just a gallery of images. I believe the request option is no longer available, and if you tried, you probably would have to contact SONY now instead of MGM.

It's definitely worth it to get the entire series with the B1G1F sale, let alone at DDD's regular price of about ~$30 a piece. Good luck.

Maxflier 12-04-05 10:28 AM

Thank you thank you thank you for starting this thread!
I was not aware of this sale and since i only have the first 3 season so far, i am going to pick up the next 4 from this <strike>steal</strike> sale.

thundergod 12-04-05 01:06 PM

thanks for the replies.

Just wondering those with S7, do you have any probelms with it? I have read numerous amazon reviews that many people had a defective disc 5 for s7?

and being that i live in australia, it certainly is cheaper to get the dvds at the DDD sale rather than spend indiviudally over here in Oz

lizard 12-04-05 04:17 PM

^First I have heard of it. No problems with S7, disc 5 for me. Of course it is hard to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence like this...

jrobinson 12-04-05 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
^First I have heard of it. No problems with S7, disc 5 for me. Of course it is hard to draw conclusions from anecdotal evidence like this...

I also had no problems with S7.

AOD 12-04-05 04:59 PM

Same here. No problems with season 7 at all. If you even have ANY interest in this series at all, the box sets are a STEAL, especially right now with DDD prices. Greatest Sci-Fi show on tv, period. I hope they stick with it and pass up X-Files in seasons, just so I can prove a point to my friend. IMHO, of course.

Christi P 12-04-05 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AOD
Same here. No problems with season 7 at all. If you even have ANY interest in this series at all, the box sets are a STEAL, especially right now with DDD prices. Greatest Sci-Fi show on tv, period. I hope they stick with it and pass up X-Files in seasons, just so I can prove a point to my friend. IMHO, of course.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...atlantis.shtml

Season 10 has already been announced, along with season 3 for SG- Atlantis.

The link above tells you how to send away for the extended episode of 'Threads'.

thundergod 12-04-05 05:53 PM

I just ordered stargate s1-s6 from DDD

Demontooth 12-14-05 08:50 AM

I am hoping seasons 6-8 are under the xmas tree

jarsyl 12-14-05 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by thundergod
Just wondering those with S7, do you have any probelms with it? I have read numerous amazon reviews that many people had a defective disc 5 for s7?

Mine did this. Some sort of glitch part way through the first episode on the disc and everything else is dead.

nemein 12-14-05 12:26 PM

No problems w/ s7 and I've watched it all the way through atleast twice.

Dai 12-14-05 04:56 PM

Hmmm..i have to check my S7 discs now....I'm up to S6 D4 so i'll be there by this weekend!

Kimiakane 12-15-05 12:30 PM

I have avoided this series as well as others like Andromeda because of space limitations. Have they started packaging on these similar to other boxed sets these days (i.e. PRETENDER, QUANTUM LEAP, STAR TREK, etc.) or are they still big, bulky space hogs? :)

Michael Corvin 12-15-05 12:57 PM

bulky space hogs. Get some custom covers and shrink the collection down.

Dai 12-15-05 01:09 PM

That's what I'm doing.

5/6 DVD cases are getting cheaper and cheaper...

John*D 12-15-05 05:05 PM

SG: Atlantis is in thinpaks w/ an outer slipcase, but SG-1 are still the 5 keepcases.

Maxflier 12-15-05 06:33 PM

I am glad they have stuck with the same packaging. It may take up a lot of space but if there is one thing i can't stand it is inconsistent packaging.

Kimiakane 12-19-05 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by John*D
SG: Atlantis is in thinpaks w/ an outer slipcase, but SG-1 are still the 5 keepcases.

Thank you, I think I will buy that one then and wait until they re-release the others (which I am sure they will do eventually, if not before BR disc releases then after). I'm afraid I would be no good at making custom packaging. :(

Dazed 12-19-05 03:56 PM

I'd rather have them all in the same consistant packaging too, even if they take up more space. I just ordered season 6 and 7 in the DDD buy one get one free. cant wait for them to arrive :)