DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Cinderella Man 1 or 2 disc? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/447328-cinderella-man-1-2-disc.html)

Willh51 12-01-05 03:45 PM

Cinderella Man 1 or 2 disc?

I was wondering if anyone had gotten their hands on a Cinderella Man disc yet. I'm on the fence about getting the two disc because I think the movie is excellent. I'd like to know if the bonus disc is meaty or just a waste of money. I know the 1 disc has a fair amount of features but the 2disc seems really packed. Anyone have any thoughts or get the disc early?

Mr. Cinema 12-01-05 03:51 PM

I think the 2-disc will be about $32 in store and the 1-disc around $15. It's an easy choice for me.

Filmmaker 12-01-05 04:06 PM

Don't look at me; I always shaft myself with the biggest, baddest version, regardless of whether it's obectively worth it...

Willh51 12-01-05 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Don't look at me; I always shaft myself with the biggest, baddest version, regardless of whether it's obectively worth it...

I actually tend to have that problem too but since I'm so backed up with unwatched dvds, this time the cheapskate may win.

Edited because I forgot how to spell and type...

mdc3000 12-01-05 04:16 PM

cheapskate?

I'm going with the two disc regardless...I loved the movie and am a sucker for deluxe editions.

MATT

slop101 12-01-05 04:31 PM

If the 1-disc already has a bunch of extras, what's the big difference?

Randy Miller III 12-01-05 04:33 PM

I'll be getting a screener copy soon, hopefully the 2-disc version. If I get it over the weekend (fingers crossed), I'll try and have a review up by Monday afternoon.

Tarantino 12-01-05 04:42 PM

One disc.

= J

Mr.Briggs 12-01-05 11:05 PM

I loved the movie. Maybe the best I've seen this year. But the one disc is 2 sided & loaded & the 2 disc has a retail of $45 (most movies have been $2 more than the one disc except WOTW which was $40, when a 1 & 2 disc were offered, although not similarly discounted). NO fucking way I'll spend $30+ (plus tax) for it. I buy the uber set for almost every title but this one I will buy the one disc.

indiephantom 12-01-05 11:48 PM

<b>Mod note threadcrap deleted.</b>

Willh51 12-02-05 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I'll be getting a screener copy soon, hopefully the 2-disc version. If I get it over the weekend (fingers crossed), I'll try and have a review up by Monday afternoon.

I look forward to the review.
At least Universal puts some extras on the one disc, where other studios doing two releases put none. However their price tag on the two disc is a bit much, even for such a great film. Had they done it as a three disc set (instead of double and single sided 2 disc), I would have been more inclined to get it.

Artman 12-02-05 01:02 AM

I would have gotten the 2-disc, but I will hopefully get it for Christmas instead. If it were any less of a movie I probably would've gone regular (reluctantly) but it's one of my favs this yr.

ruk 12-02-05 01:22 AM

the one disc has more than sufficient extra's, i'll get that.

slop101 12-02-05 02:11 AM

strange thing - looks like amazon's already sold out of the 2-disc before it's even released, as they're not taking pre-orders for it anymore.

Mr. Cinema 12-02-05 06:12 AM

I didn't know the 1-disc was a 2 sided one. :(

I don't have player issues with those from Universal, but I also like cover art on my dvds. Oh well, I guess I'll have to deal with it. I'm not paying $30+ for that 2-disc set.

nightmaster 12-02-05 06:31 AM

I loved the movie but I'm not one for spending $30 for a single movie regardless of the title, so I'll buy the 1 disc. Even at that it feels like a gamble, considering how Million Dollar Baby's purchase price plummeted in the last month.

The Bus 12-02-05 06:58 AM

I will buy the 2-disc although I may wait up to the next DDD sale to get it.

Easy 12-02-05 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
I loved the movie. Maybe the best I've seen this year. But the one disc is 2 sided & loaded

How do you know this? I ask because I refuse to buy DVD-18... especially from Universal. As much as I want this movie, if it is 2 sided I'll pass. I've had all the trouble I can stand with DVD-18.

Willh51 12-02-05 09:01 AM

I also couldn't find the two disc at circuit city's website.

Decker 12-02-05 09:09 AM

It's not at Buy.com, either.

NatrlBornThrllr 12-02-05 09:10 AM

The main reason I'd lean toward the 2-disc if I were in the market for this movie:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...it's really fucking pretty.

-JP

eedoon 12-02-05 09:30 AM

That is really pretty. But if that's how they arrange the disc (like Million Dollar Baby 3 disc), I think that will be quite a downside. That disc arrangement is pretty awkward imo.

dadaluholla 12-02-05 09:36 AM

Ahhhhh too bad its a flipper disc!!! I'll still give the one disc version a shot.

Looks like the 2 disc set has a flipper too from that pic.

Mr. Cinema 12-02-05 09:53 AM

Looks like the front disc is the flipper in the single version and the back disc is the bonus disc. Is Universal the only studio that is cutting corners on their dvd releases? They rarely make 2-disc sets anymore and the packaging looks crammed on this set.

Shannon Nutt 12-02-05 11:19 AM

The second disc has about 140-minutes worth of bonus material. Sorry, I can't say if it's a "flipper" or not, since I got screener discs from Universal that were not the final product (they were "check" discs, as they are termed in the industry). Disc 2 contains additional deleted scenes, featurettes on Crowe's preperation for the role and pre-production, the complete footage of the real Braddock/Baer fight, and a few other tidbits.

Personally, I'd say it's NOT worth the extra cash unless you are a TRUE die-hard fan of this movie, Russell Crowe, Ron Howard or Jim Braddock. I think the material on the single-disc release is more than enough for most DVD buffs.

My review is here:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...d=741018&tab=2