Disney 2-Disc Special/Masterpiece/Platinum/Collector's Editions Question

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 11:25 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a convenient source to identify which Disney classics have been made into 2-Disc Special/Masterpiece/Platinum/Collector's editions? I'm wanting to double check that I have all of them (they're not on my tracking lists because they're for my wife and child, and with Christmas coming...) but can't find a definitive list. And just as a side question, anyone know why ALICE IN WONDERLAND appears to be the only one to be called "The Masterpiece Collection"? Why no "Platinum Edition" for that title?

The ones I own are:

TARZAN: Collector's Edition (Original 2-Disc Set)
SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES
The FANTASIA Anthology *
BAMBI
ALICE IN WONDERLAND
CINDERELLA
SLEEPING BEAUTY
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
THE LION KING
ALADDIN
MULAN
FINDING NEMO
TOY STORY: Special Edition *
The Ultimate Toy Box: TOY STORY and TOY STORY 2 *

...and I think that's all. I'm aware I'm missing POCAHONTAS, MONSTERS, INC. and THE INCREDIBLES. Anything else?

* = These three ARE in my tracker lists; they're MINE, baby, 'cause they're too wicked just for chicks and kids...

Last edited by Filmmaker; 12-01-05 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-01-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some good info here:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/ultimateclassics.htm

I'm not exactly sure as for the masterpiece ed. instead of another platinum one.
Old 12-01-05, 11:31 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Hmm, looks like I missed a couple of the weaker entries, like THE EMPEROR's NEW GROOVE and BROTHER BEAR, but otherwise, I'm doing pretty good. Great site, by the way--thanks!
Old 12-01-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Hmm, looks like I missed a couple of the weaker entries, like THE EMPEROR's NEW GROOVE and BROTHER BEAR, but otherwise, I'm doing pretty good. Great site, by the way--thanks!

from what I've read, masterpiece may have been a gimmick or a way to classify their movies that weren't as commercially successful as say Snow White or Cinderella. I'm not sure how Alice in Wonderland did overall, so it's probably just someone's speculation. There's a Lilo and Stitch Masterpiece edition coming out, apparently, although I never saw it and don't know if it fits into that same category. I'm missing a few also, but prefer the older ones to the ones you mentioned (Brother Bear...etc) anyway.
Old 12-01-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still want them to do SOMETHING special for The Black Cauldron.
Old 12-01-05, 02:50 PM

You're lucky they released that one on DVD at all...
Old 12-01-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

speaking of these, the gift set editions that they did for Lion King, Aladdin and Cinderella are really beautiful
Old 12-02-05, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
speaking of these, the gift set editions that they did for Lion King, Aladdin and Cinderella are really beautiful
I'm obssessed with gift set editions, but since these are for my wife, who doesn't care about the exclusive extras, and my child, who isn't old enough to express a desire one way or another, these are the only titles in our house where I've gone with the regular, cheaper versions...
Old 12-04-05, 01:04 PM
Cool New Member

Doesn't The Black Cauldron's original version have lots missing from it? That might be a good reason for a 2 discer, but can't see the commercial viability of it - it's a fairly mediocre Disney flick...
Old 12-04-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was some stuff deleted before the release in theaters (music cues that sound kinda messes up make it visible).