DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Andy Griffith Show S4 missing laugh track?

Old 11-27-05, 02:55 PM

Andy Griffith Show S4 missing laugh track?

I have been watching Season 4 of The Andy Griffith Show, and I have noticed the laugh track missing on a couple of episodes so far (Opie The Birdman and Opie's Ill-Gotten Gain). This seems to have stood out to me, so I am not sure if it was left out originally or not. Does anybody know about this?
Old 11-27-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That would be wonderful if it was origianlly there and they forgot to add it. Unless you need a cue to tell you when it is time to laugh.
Old 11-27-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
but how will I know when to laugh?!
Old 11-27-05, 03:28 PM

LOL! no, I don't need a cue to know when to laugh. It does feel strange with the laugh track missing though, simply cuz I am use to hearing it.
Old 11-27-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish everyone would follow what Fox has done with the MASH DVDs and give you the choice of watching the show with or without the laugh track.
Old 11-30-05, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by davidvp
The Andy S.4 set has almost surely been recalled. I don't know that for a fact, but highly suspect it has been pulled back by Paramount, because Amazon, Buy.com, and DVD Empire (and probably other e-tailers) now are all listing Andy-4 as either "On Order" or currently unavailable. Amazon's page tells us it'll ship "Within 4 to 5 Weeks", which is impossible IMO if the DVD has not been recalled by the studio. Amazon never runs completely out of stock THAT quickly (the thing was just released last Tuesday, November 22nd for heaven's sake).

So, my guess is that Paramount is trying to make amends for the silliness of omitting something that SHOULD be part of the original Andy soundtrack (the canned laughter), and Paramount is "Pulling Another I Love Lucy", so to speak, and is gonna make it right before too many bad copies slide out the door (and a few have, obviously, because it's fairly evident that Paramount did not even know of this problem until after some customers told them about it; otherwise, no copies would have reached consumers' hands).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...183843-7492144

I think you are right...I looked on Paramount's website and they don't even HAVE season 4 listed!

I just watched yet another episode without a laugh track...i think it is every 3'rd episode or so it is missing.
Old 11-30-05, 03:34 PM

Haha!!
Old 11-30-05, 06:48 PM

Found a copy at Media Play for $29.99. They had 2 other copies I think. Picked up since I usually buy 2 copies of the Andy sets (one for my Dad, one for me). I'll buy the 2nd copy once they are corrected. Meanwhile, maybe I have a rare collectible!! But I doubt it.
Old 12-02-05, 02:18 PM

Well, I just spoke with a rep at Paramount, and he said there are no known issues with this set. He said that Andy S4 is on backorder, but that is just due to the popularity of the show...hmmmm.

Anyway, he said I could send them each disc and they would review it for any problems...however this would mean sending each disc individually to them. I declined that offer! lol I just don't care enough about laugh tracks missing from a few episodes to be without my discs for 3 months!
Old 12-17-05, 04:02 PM

I noticed the missing laugh tracks as well. So far on three episodes. It's not like I love laugh tracks or anything, but their absence is kind of jarring and I just prefer to have the episodes as they were originally broadcast.
Old 12-18-05, 08:35 AM

Sounds like they screwed it up, initially recalled all copies, then decided.

"Hey, no one really cares and rarely do people watch all 30+ episodes in these sets, so lets just not worry about it. Tell John down in quality control to wake up though and take a look at Season 5 for us BEFORE WE SHIP IT."

They decided to sell it even with a few laugh tracks missing. No big deal, I guess.
Old 07-11-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw this on an Amazon review and thought it might be beneficial for several people on the forum
If you purchased the set without laugh tracks, you can get corrected replacement discs from Paramount Home Video free of charge.

Just send your name, address, telephone number, and the proof of purchase tab (found on the inside flap of the box) to:

Paramount Pictures Home Video
Bluhdorn 308A
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

You do not need to send your discs to them. Only the proof of purchase tab from the box is required.

Allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery (but I got mine within 2).

This is a major deal. Kudos to Paramount for taking care of this quickly. I won't hold my breath for the few minor corrections needed in the Season 3 set, though.
Old 07-11-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the laughter of the dead. weird to think that all those people laughing on that laugh track are probably dead now.
Old 07-12-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. I saw a thread or two about this at other forums and the corrected laugh tracks still had other problems. Oy.

Here's some info I copied about it at the time:

Thanks, John, for the laugh-track update. You got those pretty dang fast too (based on when I think this replacement offer was first introduced by Paramount). It's supposed to take about 6 weeks. Good to know that the studio is making these right (and fast).

Can you check one more portion of an episode that I'm nearly certain should have laughter (but doesn't on the originally-released TAGS-#4 set)? ---

That portion being the epilogue of the ep. "The Sermon For Today". The DVD in the boxed set has no laugh track there for that epilogue scene when the preacher comes back to the Taylor house and everybody is sitting around (pooped out) on the front porch. This lack of laughter throughout that scene I am certain is incorrect.

Did Paramount correct that mistake too? ("Sermon", like two of the other four messed-up eps., is also on Disc 1.)

Footnote --

John: The "Barney Bouncing Around The Gold Truck" scene definitely SHOULD contain some degree of laughter on the soundtrack. Of that, I am positive. However, if I recall correctly, the background music/sound effects during that scene are somewhat noisy. Perhaps the laughter is buried in there, and you simply missed it due to the louder effects which are present.

Plus, there's definitely supposed to be laughter when Barney wobbles (dazed) out of the truck and starts waving the rifle around with Gomer there. And that laughter should easily be noticed. Wonder why they'd "fix" the laughter, except in just a few places? Makes no sense. (Just as it makes no sense, along those same silly lines, to have the as-aired laughter in place for the bulk of the "Sermon" episode...but then have no laughter for the epilogue at all. Weird. And double-weird. )

Anyway, John, thanks in advance for any additional "Official TAGS Season-Four Laugh-Track Updates".

another:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only laughter I heard on the epilogue for "The Sermon for Today" was from the cast; none from a laugh track (not even after "Spider bite!"). I re-checked "Black Day for Mayberry" and it seems the laugh track is missing from about the 18 minute mark onward. There's no laughter even when Barney tells Juanita that the real gold truck went through Raleigh.

another:

David, I can confirm as well that "Sermon" is still missing the laugh track from the "looks spidery" scene till the end of the episode. That's really bizarre since the first half of the episode does include the laughtrack.

Old 02-14-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone have a phone number for paramount? I sent in for my replacement discs 3 months ago and still have not received them. All my emails just go unanswered.
Old 02-14-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
I wish everyone would follow what Fox has done with the MASH DVDs and give you the choice of watching the show with or without the laugh track.
I agree. i was happy as hell to when fox decided to give us the choice.
personally i don't hate laugh tracks but im not crazy about them either. some shows need a laugh track like will & grace, others like scrubs and my name is earl are great without the laugh track.
its all about the type of show it is.