DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

La Notte - any news on a new release ?

Old 11-26-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

La Notte - any news on a new release ?

hi,

does anyone have any information as to whether this will get a proper release anytime soon ? I'm going to guess that Criterion will put it out as they've released the other two films in the Antonioni trilogy : L'eclisse and L'avventura.

The current r1 version available for this is atrocious. I dont know if its available in other regions for non-italian speaking audiences, there's an R2 disc from Italy but that has no english subtitles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054130/
Old 11-26-05, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Your guess is incorrect...there are no plans for a Criterion release at this point...sadly...Welcome to the forum

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-26-05, 12:33 PM

Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson gave a radio interview on WFMU in June 2004 where she talked about the recent release of Antonioni's L'éclisse (for which she was the producer). During the interview she said:
[L'éclisse] is a title we have wanted to get to for a while now and, likewise, we'd like to get to La Notte as soon as possible.
Though it has not been officially announced, it is at least in the planning stages. Perhaps we'll see La Notte in 2006...
Old 11-26-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Though I would hardly describe this as the film being in the "planning stages"...if they release it that would be an outstanding news (Red Desert included). As far as I am concerned though it is a wishful thinking at this point.

FilmFanSea...where is this radio station located at?

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-26-05, 01:18 PM

WFMU is a non-commercial, independent radio station based in Jersey City, NJ, which broadcasts to the New York City metro area.

Reading between the lines (as we Criterion-philes are forced to do), what Kim's statement says to me is that Criterion has acquired the rights to La Notte (presumably from Wellspring, which released the film on DVD under its previous incarnation as "Fox Lorber"). I say this because Criterion is notoriously reluctant to discuss titles for which they don't have the rights (presumably because if they publically express a strong interest, the licensing fee may increase dramatically). Also, Criterion's producers have a lot of input in what gets released. Assuming that L'avventura and L'éclisse sold reasonably well, if Kim wants to complete the trilogy by producing La Notte, and suitable elements can be found, it's virtually a done deal.

Finally, Fox Lorber's DVD of La Notte is scheduled for a price drop as of December 27th. Often, this means the company wants to clear out remaining stock before a title goes out of print.

For all these reasons, I'll be surprised if La Notte doesn't appear under the Criterion banner in 2006.
Old 11-26-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's good news, hopefully it pans out that way.
Old 11-28-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would love this from Criterion.

Also "The Passenger"... any word given that (I think) an improved print of the European cut has been making the rounds? <-Actually, not entirely sure of this, whether it's the Euro cut, etc...
Old 11-28-05, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Also "The Passenger"... any word given that (I think) an improved print of the European cut has been making the rounds? <-Actually, not entirely sure of this, whether it's the Euro cut, etc...
Yes, it's currently in limited theatrical re-release in the US since late October (2005 marks its 30th anniversary). It is playing in Antonioni's preferred (European) cut of 126 minutes (the "American" cut ran 118 minutes).

Sony Classics Official Website for The Passenger

Cinema Scope article by Robert Koehler

Amazon has it listed for DVD release on May 23, 2006.
Old 11-28-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I doubt the amazon page is entirely reliable (in fact, I hope it's not reliable at all), as it's a bit disconcerting to see under DVD DETAILS:
Run Time: 119 min (original theatrical or airing runtime)
Old 11-28-05, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I doubt the amazon page is entirely reliable (in fact, I hope it's not reliable at all), as it's a bit disconcerting to see under DVD DETAILS:

Run Time: 119 min (original theatrical or airing runtime)
I'd guess that the street date is from Sony (though, this far in advance, it's liable to change), but the specs haven't been finalized. No matter what runtime is listed, there's no way Sony would do a bait-and-switch by screening the "approved" 126 minute version theatrically in brand new prints, while releasing the 118/9 minute version on DVD.
Old 11-29-05, 12:05 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
Reading between the lines (as we Criterion-philes are forced to do), what Kim's statement says to me is that Criterion has acquired the rights to La Notte (presumably from Wellspring, which released the film on DVD under its previous incarnation as "Fox Lorber").
And Criterion made a deal with Wellspring in the past to license titles from them, the most recent example of which is Ran, I do believe.