DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Where the heck is The African Queen?

Old 11-24-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where the heck is The African Queen?

I thought King Kong was the last major release to hit DVD. But then I remembered The African Queen. Where is it? DVDs have been around for over 7 years now!
Old 11-24-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, but you'd think it would be a no-brainer to get that out on DVD. John Huston adventure movie with Katharine Hepburn, and an oscar-winning performance by Humphrey Bogart. It's been a while since I've last seen this on AMC, and I'd like to see it again on DVD.
Old 11-24-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't heard anything about it for a while. It is available in other regions, so I don't know what the hangup is here.

King Kong isn't even close to the last "big release" IMO. There are all kinds of classic movies that either haven't been released, or were briefly released before DVD really caught on (well, before I had it anyway) and never seen again (like Double Indemnity, dammit!)

Last edited by Ginwen; 11-24-05 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-24-05, 08:10 PM

Click here and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see the scan of a page of a 2/23/05 edition of The Wall Street Journal. While I talked about TV-DVDs that were mentioned in the story, it was also said in that write-up that Paramount would bring The African Queen to DVD. I seem to recall that it would not make it out before 2006. If I still have the actual paper, I can't find it (I just looked for it). But you can see the only illustration with that article is from the film in question. It's coming...just stick around.
Old 11-24-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here it is...

The African Queen?

No AFRICAN QUEEN on DVD? Wha-???

African Queen?