Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"War of the Worlds" (2005) DVD...why grainy and faded?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-23-05, 02:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I assume Spielberg used the washed out, grainy appearance on film and it wasn't just a bad DVD I saw?

Was it to look dated and authentic or something? I was expecting it to go to crisp and dark, like the way most films are shot nowadays.
The night scenes, don't get me wrong had that modern feel to it and looked fantastic, but why not with the day shots?

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention...that ending was horrible! so pat and Hollywoodish. Really ruined a pretty atmospheric, scary movie for me.

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-23-05 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll say something good about the disc - it has what I think the best sound I've heard from a DVD, EVER!

Dude, the dts on this thing is just beyond amazing - clear, punchy, deep, with thunderous subs, without ever distorting. The channel seperation is remarkable and it has the best directional field I've yet heard.

If I was trying to sell a surround-sound system to someone, this is the dvd I'd use to demo it
Old 11-23-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed that to, I think it was just how the film was shot, the grain was intended to be there. When I saw it at the cinema I noticed some grain on the fine print there to, I think overall the dvd looks and sounds fantastic though.
Old 11-23-05, 03:39 PM
Banned

Uh, guys, have you ever seen any of the other movies Spielberg has shot with Janus Kaminski as his DP? "Amistad", "The Lost World", "Catch Me If You Can" and "The Terminal" don't use the "Spielberg/Kaminski" look as much but if you've seen "Schindler's List", "Saving Private Ryan", "AI Artificial Intelligence" and "Minority Report", you'll see that the same grainy & washed-out look is definitely intentional. I've never watched Kaminksi's directorial outing "Lost Souls" but I've seen parts of it and that's definitely his visual style.
Old 11-23-05, 03:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by slop101
I'll say something good about the disc - it has what I think the best sound I've heard from a DVD, EVER!

Dude, the dts on this thing is just beyond amazing - clear, punchy, deep, with thunderous subs, without ever distorting. The channel seperation is remarkable and it has the best directional field I've yet heard.

If I was trying to sell a surround-sound system to someone, this is the dvd I'd use to demo it
yes, the DTS was amazing! i usually have my reciever at 38 volume, but this puppy was loud at 25!! and the difference between it and the Dolby 5.1 was immense. much clearer and rich with the DTS.
it truly has amazing sound and is almost worth the purchase just for it...almost.

his other films were never this grainy and washed out, save for maybe the opening of SPR.

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-23-05 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gary Tooze from DVD Beaver stated that he assumes the transfer is in tune with the theatrical print, so it seems to be intentional.

About the film itself, I saw it in theaters, and thought it was good. I'm not getting the DVD, however, but will instead just rent it sometime.
Old 11-23-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll agree with what's been said already... just think about Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List and Minority Report, when I first saw this film in the theaters that's exactly what I was reminded of. It's intentional.
Old 11-23-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The soundtrack on this is easily the most aggressive I've heard this year. I thought the sound mix on Episode 3 was good, but this one is better. For some reason, I have to turn the volume up a little more on Episode 3 than I do some of the other big titles. Anyone else agree? Even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's soundtrack sounded very aggressive.
Old 11-23-05, 04:34 PM
Banned

Haven't watched the DVD yet, but I anticipated the DTS sound on this DVD was going to be magnificent.
Old 11-23-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just got the limited edition today with a $3 off coupon from people (which...I took out of a magazine ) and the look is intentional. Can't wait to watch later.
Old 11-23-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet... but it was intensional.
Old 11-23-05, 07:25 PM

Personally I thought it looked bright and washed out a bit... but I think I still have to adjust my new setup so that may be it
Old 11-23-05, 07:46 PM

The DTS track on this disc is awsome!!! I was just going to post a new thread on this topic alone until I saw this one. I live in an apartment and I had to keep my finger on the volume button because the bass is so deep! Demo disc all the way... ending did suck though.
Old 11-23-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I'll bite: is the ending different than what I'm expecting?
Old 11-23-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not concerned about the washed out look because that was intended and that's what I saw in the theater. I, too, live in an apartment, so I was adjusting the volume on my receiver since the DTS track was so aggressive.
Old 11-23-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed, best DTS ever.
Old 11-23-05, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
OK, I'll bite: is the ending different than what I'm expecting?
If you're expecting something like the ending of the '53 version
Spoiler:
then it's exactly what you're expecting. Personally I thought it was a good ending... better than how they did it in '53 actually.

Last edited by nemein; 11-23-05 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 08:51 PM

I thought picture and sound quality on this disc were truly top notch. I just wish the ho-hum extras were better. Well, and the film itself.
Old 11-23-05, 11:15 PM

The deep bass vibrated my center speaker down the back of my TV and some nik naks on a shelf on the other side of the wall crashed to the floor.
Old 11-23-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought the original King Kong and there's something seriously wrong with the DVD. It's like they turned the color all the way off. What's up with that????????????????????????????
Old 11-24-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I just bought the original King Kong and there's something seriously wrong with the DVD. It's like they turned the color all the way off. What's up with that????????????????????????????
There must be something wrong with your equipment, because it should look like this:

Old 11-24-05, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I assume Spielberg used the washed out, grainy appearance on film and it wasn't just a bad DVD I saw?.
I noticed this immediately (grainy and colors not bright) as soon as I started watching the film and thought it was something wrong with my copy. Some day shots Spielberg took look bad also.

Which dvd do you have btw. The collectors edition or the standard? And full screen or widescreen? I have the widescreen standard edition and wonder if the collector's edition has a better quality video and the widescreen is in a better aspect ratio.

Last edited by mich43l; 11-24-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-24-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm sure the transfer on the one disk and two disk is identical and in the proper aspect ration (if you get WS). As others have stated, the grain is intentional in the cinematography.
Old 11-24-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Grain is good
Old 11-24-05, 04:19 PM

Funny this topic was here as I just watched a few scenes and noticed the same. Even in the menu. I was surprised.

Ouch. Looks horrid, if it's a style...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.