DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   And the First Blu-Ray Title is... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/446053-first-blu-ray-title.html)

joshd2012 11-21-05 10:08 AM

And the First Blu-Ray Title is...

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has today announced that authoring has been completed on the first Blu-ray Disc (BD) to contain a full-length, high-definition feature film.

"Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" was compressed and authored in MPEG 2 full high-definition (1920 x 1080) by Sony Pictures' Digital Authoring Center (DAC), and is now being shipped to BD hardware companies for player testing.

The "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" disc features dynamic menus with full resolution graphics and animation, superior audio and high picture quality, utilizing Blu-ray's storage capacity.

Benjamin Feingold, president, SPHE, said, "We are confident this achievement will help everyone understand, that Blu-ray is real and poised to enter the marketplace. Blu-ray will bring the highest quality HD experience possible to the home."

Don Eklund, senior vice president - advanced technologies, SPHE, said,
"We are extremely proud to deliver on the promise of Blu-ray. This is an important step for our industry, in order to begin mass production of high-definition movies in the Blu-ray format in the near future."

Sony has lately been in the news for the discovery of "rootkits". It was revealed that Sony was stealthily installing hidden software on PCs, when people try to play Sony BMG music albums on their computers. This software installed automatically, when users inserted music CDs with XCP digital rights management technology in their computers. The software was geared towards limiting the number of copies that users can make from CDs, plus restricting ripping of the disk.

On the format war front, Blu-ray has turned down HP's suggestion to adopt software that has already been included in the HD DVD format. The two features that HP wants included in the Blu-ray format, is mandatory managed copy and iHD. Mandatory managed copy allows users to copy high-definition movies onto PCs from discs, and distribute them on home networks; while iHD, provides for new interactive features and is slated to be implemented in Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system.
http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp...279&cat_id=581

Y2K Falcon 11-21-05 10:11 AM

Please let it be Good Burger.

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

Awwww... Crap. :grunt:

Mr. Cinema 11-21-05 10:14 AM

The Fifth Element would seem to be a logical choice.

exharrison 11-21-05 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Yes, but this is Sony we are talking about.

Joe Molotov 11-21-05 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

I was thinking maybe Final Fantasy: The Spirts Within.

Dai 11-21-05 10:49 AM

Fifth Element would have been an excellent choice.

I just shook my head when I opened this thread to find out what it was....

Mr. Cinema 11-21-05 10:51 AM

Hopefully this Blu-Ray disc doesn't have spyware that is going to destroy their machines when they test it out.

gryffinmaster 11-21-05 10:59 AM

Wow. -ohbfrank-

I'm suddenly reminded of the scene in Gladiator when the initial negotiating horseman arrives headless into the Roman camp. They are throwing cannon fodder out there as their first attempt. It's either a great choice if it doesn't succeed or a terrible decision as it's initial title. Not a great way to spark interest.

Fifth Element, Mask of Zorro, Spider-Man, Underworld ... ANY other current Superbit would have been a better choice.

mifuneral 11-21-05 11:05 AM

That's pretty amusing.

Super Leviathan 11-21-05 11:07 AM

Could htey have picked a worse title to inaugurate Blu-Ray?

Maxflier 11-21-05 11:09 AM

Well since the first Charlies Angels was the very first DVD i ever bought, i guess it would be kinda fitting if i made Full Throttle my first Blu-Ray even though the movie wasn't all that great.

MasterofDVD 11-21-05 11:09 AM

I'm stunned in that this-isn't-starting-off-to-well kinda way.

Some one must of suggested this at a meeting and when everyone else thought it was a good idea they were too afraid for their job to admit it was all a sick joke.

big e 11-21-05 11:26 AM

*shakes head* Wow. That has to be the worst thing Sony's ever done. You would think they'd use a special effects heavy movie like LOTR or Star Wars to test the software, not this.

fitprod 11-21-05 11:40 AM

Um... Ok, reality check... LOTR is New Line/WB, Star Wars is Lucas. There was no way in hell these would have been available to test their software.

That being said, on a content basis, they could have chosen something better than Full Throttle, but visually it does have some of the most eye popping visuals currently available that would test the format.

Yes, Fifth Element, Underworld or even Hellboy would have been better content choices, but this was an effin' technology test. You want to test the limits of the format, not the public's response to your taste in titles...

fitprod

Qui Gon Jim 11-21-05 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by fitprod
Um... Ok, reality check... LOTR is New Line/WB, Star Wars is Lucas. There was no way in hell these would have been available to test their software.

That being said, on a content basis, they could have chosen something better than Full Throttle, but visually it does have some of the most eye popping visuals currently available that would test the format.

Yes, Fifth Element, Underworld or even Hellboy would have been better content choices, but this was an effin' technology test. You want to test the limits of the format, not the public's response to your taste in titles...

fitprod

Exactly/ And CA:FT is more mainstream than any of those other three titles.

cultshock 11-21-05 11:55 AM

I'm sure there was some logic behind the decision, but after all, this is just for testing purposes. It's not like this film will be the first and only software available when Blu-Ray is finally released to the public.

Drexl 11-21-05 12:16 PM

Speaking of testing purposes, I think this is a great title to be the first one. Start with crappy titles, then when it's time to release good titles the bugs will be worked out.

Groucho 11-21-05 12:30 PM

DVD started with a buttload of crappy titles, for those of us who remember those days.

X 11-21-05 12:32 PM

Of course I'm going to be double-dipping! Right from the start even!

It's interesting that Sony used that movie for demoing their high-end projector prototype at industry shows. It was hi def and looked very good. (You weren't supposed to pay attention to anything but the picture quality and it was easy with that movie.)

Hubcap 11-21-05 12:38 PM

ugh horrible horrible selection.

Spiderbite 11-21-05 01:12 PM

Wow. That's just sad. Of all of their movies to choose from...:(

CA: FT was one of the few terrible movies that I finally just had to turn off completely. I didn't even attempt to watch it in fast forward as most bad movies I see.

woofman 11-21-05 01:41 PM

Sure the movie they chose ain't the best, but hey , its progress. They'll save their trump card/movies to later gain momentum once the product hits the market.

Fok 11-21-05 01:51 PM

Well I guess I won't be picking up the first title

The Cow 11-21-05 01:55 PM

The article doesn't say this will be the first commercially available Blu-Ray disc.

It was done for hardware testers.

scott shelton 11-21-05 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
The article doesn't say this will be the first commercially available Blu-Ray disc.

It was done for hardware testers.

EXACTLY.

Sony chose a visually vibrant film with a strong soundtrack to test the disc's performance.

Everybody calm down.

As a fan of FULL THROTTLE, I'm happy to hear it.