Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wondering how many people are buying "Spin & Marty"?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-20-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

I am just wondering how many of you are planning on buying the Walt Disney Treasures - The Adventures of Spin & Marty - The Mickey Mouse Club?

Is this something which I remember from my childhood days that should just be remembered as something great, or is it worth putting out the money to own it? I wonder what it actually includes? The information on Amazon.com shows that it includes 21 episodes, but another reviewer states that the series was 25 episdoes, so why isn't Disney including all 25 episodes in the set?

Is this information correct or partly correct or what?
Old 11-20-05, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit that this Treasure doesn't really appeal to me. I'll be plumping for the Rareties and the Donald No. 2 and leave the other two releases behind.
Old 11-20-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm sure it has nostalgia appeal for some people, but not for me.

When they reran the old Mickey Mouse Club when I was a kid, I found the serials to be pretty dull, so I wouldn't be too interested in buying a whole disk (or 2 disks) of them.
Old 11-20-05, 04:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The completist in me says I must have it...
Old 11-20-05, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Calum Waddell
I have to admit that this Treasure doesn't really appeal to me. I'll be plumping for the Rareties and the Donald No. 2 and leave the other two releases behind.
Me too. I am 32 and have no connection to this series, and have no real interest in it. I've recently started my Treasures collection, and via Overstock.com, Walmart.com and Amazon.com, I've picked up Behind the Scenes, Chronological Donald Vol. 1, On the Front Lines, Mickey in B&W Vol. 2, and Mickey in Living Color Vol. 2.

I think Chronological Donald Vol. 2 and the Rarities fit in with my limited collection, while the other two do not.
Old 11-20-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by THX7966
Same here.. I've got the rest of the treasures, so there's no reason to stop now. I just watched the Davy Crockett one last week, and while this show was before my time, I still enjoyed it a lot.
Old 11-20-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by THX7966
same....i look forward to seeing it though...i don't watch many tv shows, but i'll spin it
Old 11-21-05, 03:09 AM
Suspended

Is this the series where they have to rescue the animals on the farm that's been forclosed? Or was that another of the MMC serials?
Old 11-21-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not what you would call a completist, but I've got all the other Treasures, so I'll be getting these as well.

But mostly, it's because I have fond memories of these shows (as well as the Hardy Boys) from when I was a kid and saw them when the MMC was syndicated in the early sixties. The other stuff has been holding up to my recollections.
Old 11-21-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Is this the series where they have to rescue the animals on the farm that's been forclosed? Or was that another of the MMC serials?
That was the Hardy Boys serial.

Spin & Marty had the spoiled rich kid (Marty) going off to the Triple-R ranch and being teased for being such a brat by the regulars including Spin. After pranks, a boxing match and, I believe, end of the summer rodeo, Spin and Marty become best buds and all is fine & dandy at the Triple-R.

I'll be getting it since I was a huge fan when I was a kid.
Old 11-21-05, 11:59 AM

When is the release date for these titles?
Old 11-21-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by audiomixer
When is the release date for these titles?
Last I heard was December 6th.
Old 11-21-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
I wonder what it actually includes? The information on Amazon.com shows that it includes 21 episodes, but another reviewer states that the series was 25 episdoes, so why isn't Disney including all 25 episodes in the set?

Is this information correct or partly correct or what?

Not sure how correct either are...

Here's a episode list:

http://www.tv.com/adventures-of-spin..._listings.html

I would suspect all episodes will be included. Don't see why they wouldn't be.
Old 11-21-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will only be getting the Rareties and the Donald No. 2 Treasures in this wave. Since I have a couple of gaps in the collection already (didn't have an interest in the Mickey Mouse Club), I figured I could live without these.
Old 11-21-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I only collect the non-animation treasures... Spin & Marty are going to be a great addition!
Old 11-23-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Thank you for your input everbody! Nobody has said anything yet, though, that definitely swings me into the "get it" or the "don't bother" column. I'm really in a quandary about this one, maybe it will just depend on how much money is available in December
Old 11-23-05, 02:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
That was the Hardy Boys serial.

Spin & Marty had the spoiled rich kid (Marty) going off to the Triple-R ranch and being teased for being such a brat by the regulars including Spin. After pranks, a boxing match and, I believe, end of the summer rodeo, Spin and Marty become best buds and all is fine & dandy at the Triple-R.

I'll be getting it since I was a huge fan when I was a kid.
Ah... I remember it now..it's the same one where Darlene puts on the Romeo and Juliet play.
Old 11-23-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
Ah... I remember it now..it's the same one where Darlene puts on the Romeo and Juliet play.

Yep, but I believe the play was the setting for the second Spin and Marty serial...."The Further Adventures of Spin & Marty" or maybe even the third "The New Adventures of Spin & Marty." In fact it was the third because the second was where Annette & Darlene were introduced and revolved around the swimming hole & perhaps the wild horse Dynamite(That might have been in the third serial). Have I confused anyone?

The Disney Channel used to show these & other classic shows late at night a couple years ago in their Vault Disney, but now they just show...IMHO....crap. How many times a day do they have to show That's So Raven & Lizzie McGuire...and how many kids are up that late watching them?

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 11-23-05 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-23-05, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

I'd be much happier if they just hurried up and got Song of the South out there (and an uncensored Make Mine Music/ Melody Time!!)
Old 11-28-05, 08:35 PM

So I have been building up a small collection of the Treasures recently, and I have a question for you experts. Do people generally keep the blue band that comes on the Treasure tin, or is it a throw-away? I threw it out on the first Treasure I received, but have kept the others intact since then just in case the conventional wisdom is to keep them. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
So I have been building up a small collection of the Treasures recently, and I have a question for you experts. Do people generally keep the blue band that comes on the Treasure tin, or is it a throw-away? I threw it out on the first Treasure I received, but have kept the others intact since then just in case the conventional wisdom is to keep them. Thanks in advance.
I keep all mine, but do whatever you want, they're your dvds. Keep in mind that if you ever wish to sell them on ebay or whatever, the buyer is probably going to want the band as well to be "complete." The 4th wave (most recently) didn't even have the bands.
Old 11-29-05, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I keep all mine, but do whatever you want, they're your dvds. Keep in mind that if you ever wish to sell them on ebay or whatever, the buyer is probably going to want the band as well to be "complete." The 4th wave (most recently) didn't even have the bands.
Thanks. That's what I figured--it's more of a "collector's" and "completist" thing. I don't generally sell my DVD's on ebay and I generally buy to own (especially great collections like the treasures), but I'll keep the bands just in case.
Old 12-01-05, 01:20 AM

I keep the bands so I can tell which tin is which on the shelf without having to pull it out to look at the cover.
Old 12-01-05, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Wasn't there a serial on The Mickey Mouse Club that had something to do with pirates or smugglers or something? I have vague recollections.
Old 12-01-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Wasn't there a serial on The Mickey Mouse Club that had something to do with pirates or smugglers or something? I have vague recollections.
There was a serial for The Hardy Boys(also with Tim Considine, "Spin")where they were searching their town for a lost Pirate treasure...perhaps that is what you are thinking of. No real pirates though since it was based in the 50s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.