Reload this Page >

SW III ROS sound glitch WS DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-19-05, 10:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a very brief interuption (silent skip) in all soundtracks for Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith widescreen dvd at 1:49 (1 minute 49 seconds) into the movie. When I exchanged the dvd, the replacement dvd had the same problem. Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-19-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it happen on a different DVD player?
Old 11-19-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have just about worn out my RotS DVD I have been playing it so much and I notice no defect. It is probably a player issue.
Old 11-19-05, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by deckel
I noticed a very brief interuption (silent skip) in all soundtracks for Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith widescreen dvd at 1:49 (1 minute 49 seconds) into the movie. When I exchanged the dvd, the replacement dvd had the same problem. Anyone else notice this?

Is this right after the opening scroll when it pans down? I noticed a similar "hiccup" right after the opening scroll, but it only does it on one of my players and not the other, so I think it may be player dependant. Have you tried the disc on another player?
Old 11-19-05, 03:12 PM
Cool New Member

The dvd "hiccuped" on two different players. Since notvandnobeer also described exactly my problem, it sounds like it is a player issue, and not a disc issue, although not a rare problem.

Last edited by deckel; 11-19-05 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 05:25 PM

I reviewed a retail version on two different players, and both showed a brief hiccup at one point when Palpatine and Anakin are talking. But when I did a final check on my Mac for screenshots, it was seamless (so, it does happen; dust, a Pioneer that doesn't like part of the DVD, etc.).
Old 11-19-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

prob because of a small layer change, probably cause when you use the spanish or french languages, the scroll is typed in spanish or french. then at one point they all change to one spot. i cant explain it well , sorry.
Old 11-19-05, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ILikeDVD
prob because of a small layer change, probably cause when you use the spanish or french languages, the scroll is typed in spanish or french. then at one point they all change to one spot. i cant explain it well , sorry.
This is most likely the cause. If the scroll shows up in alternate languages, then there is a small amount of seamless branching going on, and as we know, some players handle seamless branching better than others.
Old 11-19-05, 11:18 PM
Banned

Wrong, it's not seamless branching, it's alternate angles. Big difference.
Old 11-19-05, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't notice a problem here.
Old 11-20-05, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Wrong, it's not seamless branching, it's alternate angles. Big difference.
Not trying to split hairs here, but how so? I would say it was multi-angle if the user was interactively making the change, but the decision which "version" to be seen is made before the feature begins.

I may be wrong so persuade me otherwise.
Old 11-20-05, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by notvandnobeer
Is this right after the opening scroll when it pans down? I noticed a similar "hiccup" right after the opening scroll, but it only does it on one of my players and not the other, so I think it may be player dependant. Have you tried the disc on another player?
I also noticed this same problem. Same problem I had with Empire Strikes Back, at about the same location. My player is a Toshiba 4900.
Old 11-20-05, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Not trying to split hairs here, but how so? I would say it was multi-angle if the user was interactively making the change, but the decision which "version" to be seen is made before the feature begins.

Multi-angle, all the angles are the same length, whereas seamless branching or seamless multi-story the 'angles' are different lengths (director's cuts etc).

HTH
Old 11-20-05, 10:07 AM

It happens on my disc as well, sometimes during or after the opening scroll.

Its a player issue (with mine, at least) as it happens on Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back (always at the same point, before or during the scroll)...

Its a pretty minor glitch and I hardly notice it sometimes.

It doesn't seem to happen with Phantom Menace or A New Hope though.
Old 11-20-05, 11:50 AM

I'll never buy this disc but it definitely sounds like an alternate angle issue, not seamless branching. Lots of discs use angles (as opposed to branching) to present translated text blocks, such as the opening crawls seen in the STAR WARS films. On some players, the angle "movie camera" icon pops up during text sequences, making it a dead giveaway. I haven't experienced this specific problem in quite some time.
Old 11-20-05, 09:06 PM
Banned

I think others have already offered up adequate persuasion. It's not really a matter of opinion or "splitting hairs", branching and angles are completely different functions of the DVD format. The simplest way to describe "angles" is that it's like switching audio tracks, but with video (this is why it's more commonly used with text along with alterante languages, like with "Star Wars"). Branching is much more complex. You couldn't just watch a new scene in "Terminator 2" by switching angles and audio, the player actually has to hop around to somewhere else on the disc where that scene is stored. With angles, it's all encoded on the same "stream" simultaneously. As for your "theory" that it isn't a use of the player's "angle" feature because the decision is already made before the movie begins, I urge you to check out any other DVD that uses angles, particularly in the special features. Every time I've ever encountered it, there's been an option on the menu where you could select which angle you wanted before it played. Most of the time you can select it from your remote as the clip plays, but like most functions of a DVD, this function can be locked out in the authoring.
Old 11-20-05, 11:14 PM

To be honest, I think the two functions are nearly the same, at least in this case. The player is not generating the crawl as it does with a decoded sub-title stream. The player is actually switching to a different video file during the crawl. I think the only real difference between multi-angle and seamless branching, from a technical perspective, is that, as you said, the option to control it is locked out. We call it two different things, but in the end the concept is the same, just with or without the ability to control the "angle" change.

This is completely different from different audio/subtitle tracks.
Old 11-21-05, 01:17 AM
Banned

I think the only real difference between multi-angle and seamless branching, from a technical perspective, is that, as you said, the option to control it is locked out. We call it two different things, but in the end the concept is the same, just with or without the ability to control the "angle" change.
No, you're completely wrong. Some DVD's let you switch the angles "on the fly". Some don't. That doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that it's a completely different function than seamless branching. The best comparison IS an alternate soundtrack, because (as I already said) you are watching a portion of of a program with a fixed beginning, end and runtime in between. A good example of the use of angles is on "Clerks: Uncensored". Every episode of that DVD features the finished animation on Angle 1 and the animatic on Angle 2. Similarly, there is an audio track of the show itself in the commentary. You could watch the program four different ways (final animation with regular audio, final animation with commentary, animatic with regular audio, animatic with commentary) but what you're watching in any case is encoded as the same "title" on your DVD. Like an audio track, where the audio tracks you aren't listening to are available to you the whole time (though some discs make you go to the menu to change them) the alternate angle that is not in use is simply "deactivated" the whole time (in this case), though in most other cases, the portion of the video "stream" that offers the choice of angles is the only area affected. This is the only major difference in the "angles vs. audio track" comparison. In the completely different matter of seamless branching (which is MUCH more complex), a DVD utilizes the same files in most cases to generate different "titles" on a DVD. Let's say that there is a movie with a different opening sequence, an alternate scene in the middle of the movie, and a different ending. To integrate all this via seamless branching, there would be a "raw" file of the movie appearing on the disc (but inaccessable from a standard DVD player) programmed as such:

Original beginning
Alternate beginning
portion of movie identical in both cuts
Original middle
Alternate middle
Original ending
Alternate ending

The DVD would be encoded to skip the parts that weren't featured in the selected cut. The player would then access the film thusly:

Play Original beginning, skip alternate beginning, continue on to:
Play original middle, skip alternate middle, continue on to:
Play original ending, skip alternate ending

Likewise, the selection of the alternate version would:

Skip original beginning, play alternate beginning, continue on to:
Skip original middle, play alternate middle, continue on to:
Skip original ending, play alternate ending

The use of seamless branching is used when things like soundtracks, runtimes, etc. don't match up because of the complex structural differences of the various versions. When something like the "Star Wars" text scrolls could be changed without effecting the runtime or the soundtrack of the film itself, it is far simpler to use angles. When you play a "Star Wars" movie, your player is simply instructed to go with Angle 1 (English), Angle 2 (French) or Angle 3 (Spanish) during the text scroll. Your player isn't jumping aroun to other parts on the disc, or skipping anything, it's following the same "stream" but using one of three video clips that are encoded alongside each other for that portion of the film. Believe me if you want to or not, I'm not here to instruct people on DVD specs and the differences between the functions of the format, but all you need to do is put a seamless branching disc into your player (like T2), and then put an alternate angles disc into your player (like any of the "Star Wars" movies) and you'll see for yourself. Branching: different titles. Angles: different angles (duh).
Old 11-21-05, 11:57 AM

I am not saying the two are exactly the same thing. What the two have in common is that they switch from one video file to another. I realize the two are applied differently, but the under the hood tech is very similar.
Old 11-21-05, 12:27 PM

I am not saying the two are exactly the same thing. What the two have in common is that they switch from one video file to another. I realize the two are applied differently, but the under the hood tech is very similar.
No, actually, they're not. Better said: In the broadest sense and in the most layman terms, they are conceptually and simplistically relatable.
Old 11-21-05, 03:18 PM

Same thing happens to me, right after the scroll. I tried it in another DVD Player and it played smooth, but the time sort of stuttered. I replaced it and the same thing happens on both players.
Old 11-21-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing wrong with mine
Old 11-21-05, 05:11 PM

The reason you can't change it is because the DVD told the player to lock the ability to change angles. One of my old players that I used a hacked firmware on to make the player region free also made it so that the disc didn't lock out any functions. There are many discs out there that use locked alternate angles, such as most of the animated disney movies. Most of them have title cards that are determined by the language the DVD player is set to, and also scenes when words are on screen they would show localized scenes. When I was using that old player, I was able to manually switch between them by using the angle button on my remote. Most players will only do the multi-angle indicator either onscreen or on the display panel when you can actually change. If its doing an alternate angle based on player settings, odds are it won't tell you on the screen or display panel.
Old 11-21-05, 06:27 PM
Banned

No, actually, they're not. Better said: In the broadest sense and in the most layman terms, they are conceptually and simplistically relatable.
Yeah, I agree with this. To someone with no understanding of the DVD format, they may seem similar, but the "under the hood tech" is where the difference is VERY apparant.
Old 11-21-05, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Yeah, I agree with this. To someone with no understanding of the DVD format, they may seem similar, but the "under the hood tech" is where the difference is VERY apparant.
I click "Play Spanish" on my SW DVD. It plays a pre-selected set of video files comprising the spanish version of the film. I click "Play Extended Version" on T2 and it plays a pre-selected set of video files comprising the extended version. To me the only difference is there is no alternate set of video files to "switch" to during those bits of the extended version. So while the two have different names, and they should because it really is two different applications, both are just presenting two different pre-determined sequences of video files.

I am a little shocked at the speed that some are willing to sink to personal attack when their opinion is disputed. I guess I am a fucking moron with no clue. You are right. I'm off to WalMart to get some fullscreen versions of movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.