Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings trilogy: Reasons to own the theatricals if I already have the EEs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lord of the Rings trilogy: Reasons to own the theatricals if I already have the EEs?

Old 11-15-05, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Best Buy having the theatrical versions for $7.99 this week, I'm seriously considering getting them, even though I already own the EE trilogy.

I just can't seem to figure out why I want them, other than to fill my completest needs.

Anyone own both that prefers the theatricals? If so, why?

Only thing I can think of is time constraints.
Old 11-15-05, 08:05 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
i asked this once, most told me that: 1. there are completely different extras (if you are into that) and the big one that: 2. the movies are on 1 disc instead of spread over 2 (that is for the convenience in you)
i personally don't think these are reasons to have both as i find the EE's so much more an enriching experience, but i do anyway, just because.
Old 11-15-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LOTR Theatrical cuts are available at Gamestop and EB previously viewed 2 for $10. There are dozens of copies and many in decent condition.
Old 11-15-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Between BB and the deepdiscount sale, I've been having a similar debate. I'd really like the trailers as well, which would be a reason for the theatrical editions.. but at the same time, I really don't like to ever double dip on things.
Old 11-15-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
Between BB and the deepdiscount sale, I've been having a similar debate. I'd really like the trailers as well, which would be a reason for the theatrical editions.. but at the same time, I really don't like to ever double dip on things.
I never even noticed that the EE's don't have the trailers. Guess they're not that important to me.
Old 11-15-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I understand, there is footage in the theatrical versions which isn't in the extended.

At some point, I do intend to buy the theatrical versions, just because it really impresses me how well Jackson was able to craft the two seperate versions. They really are notably distinct (other than the end of 'Return of the King', which already felt extended before the extended versions). But I've avoided buying them so far because I know I probably would only watch the extended versions anyway.
Old 11-15-05, 09:14 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you didn't even notice the loss of the awesome trailers, it appears clear that extras aren't your thing. I'd pass on the theatrical versions in that case...
Old 11-15-05, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I've avoided buying them so far because I know I probably would only watch the extended versions anyway.

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. Just like I own both Daredevil DVDs, but would likely never watch the original version again.
Old 11-15-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
If you didn't even notice the loss of the awesome trailers, it appears clear that extras aren't your thing. I'd pass on the theatrical versions in that case...
Just because someone isn't interested in trailers doesn't mean that they don't enjoy extras. I'm particularly fond of making-of extras as well as commentaries (technical and otherwise), but could care less if there's a trailer on the disc.
Old 11-15-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Just because someone isn't interested in trailers doesn't mean that they don't enjoy extras. I'm particularly fond of making-of extras as well as commentaries (technical and otherwise), but could care less if there's a trailer on the disc.
I agree. I consider viewing modern trailers a waste of time. However, I like making-of documentaries and commentaries.
Old 11-15-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Trailers are high on my list for necessary extras, but ThatGuamGuy brought up something I totally forgot about. I did notice there was missing footage in the EE's as well. Maybe not enough to be worried about, I guess it depends how much you really want everything.

Do I watch them much? Not really. But the length is also a consideration, as my wife isn't much into long movies.. Well, not like the theatricals are short either.

Actually, the more I read here, the more I'm leaning towards picking up the theatrical editions. Thanks, Snowmaker, for helping me inadvertently!
Old 11-15-05, 09:27 AM

I'm considering picking up the ROTK theatrical cut simply because it is, IMO, a much better version of the film than the EE...

-- Jim
Old 11-15-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Yeah, same here. The only real reason for a trailer is to promote the movie. Once you've seen the movie, what do you need to see the trailer again for? Especially when you own the entire movie.

I could see if you wanted to show the trailer to someone who had never seen the movie, but how often do you honestly watch the trailers?
Old 11-15-05, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
With Best Buy having the theatrical versions for $7.99 this week, I'm seriously considering getting them, even though I already own the EE trilogy.

I just can't seem to figure out why I want them, other than to fill my completest needs.
The one million dollar question you should ask yourself is: How often do I watch The Lord of the Rings DVDs that I already have, and will it be justifiable to re-purchase the same movies again (regardless of the extras) if I have no intentions to view them, only to satisfy my covetousness?

Yeah, same here. The only real reason for a trailer is to promote the movie. Once you've seen the movie, what do you need to see the trailer again for? Especially when you own the entire movie.

I could see if you wanted to show the trailer to someone who had never seen the movie, but how often do you honestly watch the trailers?
Well, seem like you just answered your own question.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 11-15-05 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jpfisher
I'm considering picking up the ROTK theatrical cut simply because it is, IMO, a much better version of the film than the EE...

-- Jim
Exactly. I had such a high hope on ROTK EE because of the first two EE. But instead it looks and felt like a hacked version of the theatrical cut. Although I didn't have the theatrical version, I might have pick up ROTK in the future.
Old 11-15-05, 10:17 AM

I have the theatricals for the extras.
Old 11-15-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have both the EE and the Theatrical versions:

Postive points:
1. Different Extras
2. Watch it for 6 months before the EE came out
3. My boy watches the Theatrical ver in his room
4. Lend out the Theatrical ver, not the EE version

All that said, I never watch the Theatrical ver anymore and would not buy it if I already had the EE ver.

LotR is the only DVD I have Doubled Dipped on, but the vers are so different I almost do not consider it Double Dipping.
Old 11-15-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I have both the EE and the Theatrical versions:

Postive points:
This is the main reason I got them as well. I enjoyed them so much in the theatre (back when I used to go) that the $14.99 or whatever I paid for them was worth it to have them available to me for those 6 months. Otherwise, I probably would've rented them (*shudder*) at least twice, and that'd be half the cost of owning them anyways.

The extras on the EEs blows away the stuff on the theatrical versions, but is nice to have the web features available.
Old 11-15-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
It's the only way you can see Sean Austin's short film....
Old 11-15-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you guys are doing a better job at talking me out of getting them rather than why to have them. Which is good with Christmas coming up and with all the other DDD DVDs I'm ordering this week.
Old 11-15-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Ditto here, these titles I couldn't wait 6 months for the EE.
Old 11-15-05, 11:10 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every f'ing time I watch the film. Every f'ing time.
Old 11-15-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Every f'ing time I watch the film. Every f'ing time.
Any specific reason?
Old 11-15-05, 11:23 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't see any reason for owning the standard versions. Didn't Jackson mention that he was thinking about releasing another version?
Old 11-15-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
I can't see any reason for owning the standard versions. Didn't Jackson mention that he was thinking about releasing another version?
I think there was mention of another set with different extras, including more bloopers and dailies, which I would love to see. I hope these are either released seperately, or that the sets aren't too expensive when they are released. I always love bloopers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.