Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Netflix's Season of the Witch contain There's Always Vanilla?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-14-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just received my rental DVD of Romero's Season of the Witch from Netflix only to discover that there's nothing at all on the B side of the disc. Nada.

I was under the impression that this was a "flipper" disc with the movie There's Always Vanilla and a few other extras on the B-side. Called Netflix and they claim the DVD should contain the extra movie, but it's simply not there (no writing on A or B side indicates it's there, and I've tried playing it on 3 different players). Can anyone throw any light on this situation?

(mods -- please feel free to move this to another forum if this one isn't best. Thanks)
Old 11-14-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
I thought "There's Always Vanilla" was a lost film?
Old 11-14-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was under the impression that this was a "flipper" disc with the movie There's Always Vanilla and a few other extras on the B-side.
I'll double-check the reviews, but I'm pretty sure that it's a two-disc set, with each movie being one disc (though most of the extras are on the second disc, with 'Vanilla').

EDIT: Nope, looks like I was wrong. I'm glad it's that way, though, since that means it'll be cheaper when I get around to buying it.

I thought "There's Always Vanilla" was a lost film?
It's never been completely lost ... if you lived in NYC, you could've rented a VHS copy from Kim's video (I had a class at NYU which showed us a clip from it) ... it's just that Romero pretty much disowns it, no studio was interested in releasing it (given that even *good* Romero doesn't often make much money; I believe the original company which distributed [and possibly produced] it went under), and there weren't enough (any?) fans clamoring for a release.

But it is currently available as a special feature on the new "Season of the Witch" disc (which was also an almost-lost Romero feature).

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 11-14-05 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-14-05, 12:52 PM

Interesting that of the two Netflix user reviews that mention it, one said it was there and the other said it wasn't.

I don't know anything about this particular disc, but I have encountered Netflix rentals where the commercial version is a flipper, but the copy I got from Netflix was single-sided. Northern Exposure Season One for example.

So it's at least possible that there's a rental edition of this movie that only includes Side 1 of the commercial version.

RichC
Old 11-14-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it is a double sided disc, Netflix usually will have a special version for it. When I rented The Butterfly Effect, I only got to see the directors cut. The Universal DVD's that everyone has problems with, Netflix gets them on single sided DVD-9 discs.
Old 11-14-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This release IS a double sided disc. I own it and can verify Season of the Witch is on one side and There's Always Vanilla is on the other. So unless Netflix receives different versions for some reason, it should be there.

Most of the extras are on the SotW side, but the other side contains There's Always Vanilla and a 15 minute featurette where they interview Romero and he just flat out says he doesn't like the film and it was a terrible experience for him. Pretty funny.