Reload this Page >

Sin City director's cut..why's the price so high

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-13-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this DVD on my Deep Discount wish list and it was priced at around $25 (which I thought was high). I went to order it today from the website to find out the price went even higher to almost $32. Anyone know why this 2 disc set is priced so high?
Old 11-13-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
DDD raised some prices for their 20% off sale.

You might want to check back after the 19th to see if it went back down.
Old 11-13-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's a $39.95 MSRP. It's two discs plus it comes with a comic.

Old 11-13-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because they know people will pay it.
Old 11-13-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Yeah, DDD has been getting a little questionable with their pricing on some of their latest sales.
Old 11-13-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeah, DDD has been getting a little questionable with their pricing on some of their latest sales.
Yeah it should be called the 20% off the recently raised prices sale.
Old 11-13-05, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the uninformed: There was a pricing file glitch at DDD which was fixed. There is nothing shady at all going on at DDD. For every thing that has increased in price, I can site one that has dropped. If you need to bitch about the site, there is a thread in the store forums.

This edition is expensive because it is the "deluxe" set. At least we knew it was coming though.
Old 11-13-05, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a preorder, so the 20% off code wouldn't apply to the DVD anyway.
Old 11-13-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Because they had to force people to buy the included comic
Old 11-13-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
It's $40 MSRP and includes a $17 graphic novel. (I'm under the impression that the "Sin City" graphic novel is the exact same one put out from Dark Horse.)

Kind of blows for those of us who already have the graphic novel. (And in the older, larger edition, no less!)

I'll probably end up giving the new graphic novel to someone for Christmas.
Old 11-13-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Why are so many people everyone so defensive of DDD and their prices? Its not like anyone here owes them anything. I've bought quite a few dvds from them (and will do so int he future) but sometimes i am a little skeptical about things that I see. We do pay them money for their products and I feel that I do have the right to bitch now and then.
Old 11-13-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Why are so many people everyone so defensive of DDD and their prices? Its not like anyone here owes them anything. I've bought quite a few dvds from them (and will do so int he future) but sometimes i am a little skeptical about things that I see. We do pay them money for their products and I feel that I do have the right to bitch now and then.
Yes, the defense comes from them because they are DVD addicts. DDD puts out this sale twice a year and everyone unloads their life savings. Nobody ever stops to ask, Wait why am I spending this much money?
Old 11-13-05, 09:49 PM

I have never taken advantage of this sale before. I may order two dvds and that is all(and they're not for me,they're for my mom for Xmas).

But on another forum I use. Someone said they spent $900 on dvds durring the last sale. And they still haven't opened or watched the majority of them! And yet they are going to order more from this sale!

That is a huge waste in my honest opinion,no matter how much money you have to blow
Old 11-13-05, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's an idea: release a 2-disc with a retail of $29.99 and NO GRAPHIC NOVEL. No need to force a book on us just to pad the price.
Old 11-13-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I have never taken advantage of this sale before. I may order two dvds and that is all(and they're not for me,they're for my mom for Xmas).

But on another forum I use. Someone said they spent $900 on dvds durring the last sale. And they still haven't opened or watched the majority of them! And yet they are going to order more from this sale!

That is a huge waste in my honest opinion,no matter how much money you have to blow
I spent $800 at the last one. This time I'm spending $230.

My wife wasn't amused last time, so I had to cut back.
Old 11-13-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yes, the defense comes from them because they are DVD addicts. DDD puts out this sale twice a year and everyone unloads their life savings. Nobody ever stops to ask, Wait why am I spending this much money?
You're on a DVD addict forum. Being self-righteous about consumerism here is a pretty fruitless endeavor.
Old 11-13-05, 11:34 PM

Don't know about you guys but I have been ordering from Lasersedge and their pricing
are quite reasonable. My pre-order Sin City DC cost $27.99 exclude shipping.
Old 11-13-05, 11:37 PM

Yeah, d00d, fux0r DVD!!!! What l000sers! They buy DVDs!! Hhahahahah! Let's make fun of them!!!!11

I find it funny that you never stop to ask, Wait why am I on this forum?

DJ
Old 11-14-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, is every thread on this forum going to become a "Let's bash DDD for having a sale" thread?

Get over it already.
Old 11-14-05, 01:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DVDtalk's semi-official policy concerning DDD's questionable last minute pre-sale price increases.
Old 11-14-05, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by djtoell
Yeah, d00d, fux0r DVD!!!! What l000sers! They buy DVDs!! Hhahahahah! Let's make fun of them!!!!11

I find it funny that you never stop to ask, Wait why am I on this forum?

DJ
Being on this forum has nothing to do with spending tons of money on crappy movies. Especially movies you won’t even watch after a year. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-14-05, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by filmfreak
Being on this forum has nothing to do with spending tons of money on crappy movies. Especially movies you won’t even watch after a year. That's just my opinion.
This forum is about DVDs. Making fun of people on a DVD forum "because they are DVD addicts" is like going to a Coca-Cola memorabilia collectors' forum and making fun of people for being Coca-Cola memorabilia addicts that waste all their money and never ask "why."

In short: duh.

And, you're right, being on this forum has nothing to do with what you consider to be "crappy" movies; we all have our own opinions. We also all have our own opinions on what makes a DVD worth purchasing, including how many times we plan on watching it. Talking down to someone for having a different opinion than you on any of those topics is more or less...

duh.

As a baseline, anyone who posts here has an interest in DVDs. Making fun of anyone for any of the things either you or PopcornTreeCt note boils down to making fun of someone for liking DVDs "too much". There should be no such thing on this forum, at least not in a pejorative way.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 11-14-05 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 02:45 AM

Ray
Constantine
The Dark Crystal

Expensive deluxe edition packages are certainly nothing new.

-JP
Old 11-14-05, 02:47 AM

I am new to this forum but I am not new to DVD collecting. DVD collector's are like every other collector. Some collect everything they can get there hands on while others have their own guidelines. Some have no budget while others have no need to worry about a budget. Now I have never spent more than $80 at a time on DVD's but that has no baring on any collector except me. There are a lot of movies that I like but will not buy. I only buy Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, Stanley Kubrick, super heroes, The Simpsons, and extreme horror movies with an occasional obscure title I pick up here and there. I also update these as new editions come out. With all the new DVD's coming out I only have 3 on my want list and one of those is old.

#1 American Psycho Killer Collector's Edition (my favorite movie ever made)
#2 The Simpsons The Complete 6th Season
#3 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Tim Burton)
Old 11-14-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raising/lowering prices to match competitors is a normal business practice. Why should a company stop their normal business practices just during a sale? No B&M places do. Check coupons if you want, all B&M coupons stipulate that they can't be used in conjunction with any other coupons or sales. So why do people bitch at DDD for doing exactly the same as other shops do?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.