Reload this Page >

halloween 25 anv vs non divimax THX

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-11-05, 11:20 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to order halloween off of the deepdiscountdvd code, and I was wondering which version to get. I'm not as concerned about the special features, but I was wondering more how the picture looks on each one. I have a decent projection tv, and I have it calibrated pretty well, so it would be worth it to me to have a better picture. Can anyone compare the picture of the two?
Old 11-11-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
If dvdfile's review is still around, they have screen comparisons. To put it simply - the 25th has a cleaner picture, but nightime shots aren't as saturated with blues, which many (including myself) find more appealing. I own both, and I'll probably just stick with watching the latest version for the time being.
Old 11-11-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sure!

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-.../compare.shtml
Old 11-11-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 1999 transfer was approved by Dean Cundey, who shot the film for Carpenter. I saw Halloween about 2 weeks ago on TV and it also had the bluish nighttime tones to it as well, though not quite as strong as on the DVD. Who knows, but that could be because they were showing an old, faded print of the film. It's anyone's guess.

The 2003 DVD has a better transfer, and more vibrant colors in some scenes. However, it has been totally stripped of the blue tones the the film originally had, as well as the techniques Carpenter used to make summertime California look like Fall in Illinois. The link bboisvert provided will give you an example of what I'm talking about. But the 1999 transfer is still a fairly good one, but just not up to the standards of the newest DVDs. Then again, neither is the 2003 release.

My advice, go for the 1999 DVD if you want a more accurate representation of the film, or get the 2003 Divimax DVD if you care more about a better transfer. Or you can just get both and be happy all the way around!
Old 11-11-05, 12:12 PM
Cool New Member

can't make anything easy for me can ya

thanks for the info guys
Old 11-11-05, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have also been debating on which DVD verison to get and I think I've come to a conclusion. Tomorrow I will be going and getting the 1999 THX DVD.

I can't really imagine Halloween without the shades of Blue, that's how I've always seen since I was a kid.
Old 11-11-05, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pleased to have both the 1999 Limited Edition for the Cundey-approved transfer, exclusive bonus material, and extended cut, and the 2003 Divimax release for the commentary and exclusive bonus material. Love the film, and wouldn't be without either.

--THX
Old 11-12-05, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by agtpunx40
I want to order halloween off of the deepdiscountdvd code, and I was wondering which version to get. I'm not as concerned about the special features, but I was wondering more how the picture looks on each one. I have a decent projection tv, and I have it calibrated pretty well, so it would be worth it to me to have a better picture. Can anyone compare the picture of the two?

Personally I prefer the way I saw Halloween in 1978. That is the Divimax version. Whether Dean Cundey approved all the Blue color changes for "Atmosperic purposes" is not what scared audiences in 1978. Some people claim the Divimax version has "Color timing issues". Ask someone who saw it in the late 70's theatrically. Show them "Bob's Blue Ghost" vs. the regular white "Ghost". The grass was always green, the Mask, the "Ghost", both houses, the phone, the doors, etc. were most definately white...which changed in later releases.
Old 11-12-05, 04:42 AM

Personally I prefer the way I saw Halloween in 1978. That is the Divimax version. Whether Dean Cundey approved all the Blue color changes for "Atmosperic purposes" is not what scared audiences in 1978. Some people claim the Divimax version has "Color timing issues". Ask someone who saw it in the late 70's theatrically. Show them "Bob's Blue Ghost" vs. the regular white "Ghost". The grass was always green, the Mask, the "Ghost", both houses, the phone, the doors, etc. were most definately white...which changed in later releases.
That statement is inaccurate. What evidence do you have that Cundey just made up the color scheme to suit his own purpose? I'd be glad to hear it. Dean Cundey did not arbitrarily add blue tint to the nighttime scenes for atmospheric purposes. That's silly. They've always been there. Even in the Divimax DVD, some of the blue is present. The problem is that transfer is too bright, the blue tint is washed out, and in many scenes it's missing completely. Carpenter and Cundey toned down the greens in post, and spread dead leaves to give the film an autumn look, and the grass is too green in the 25th Anniversary DVD.

But I'll go you one further, because at the end of the day, you'd have to have the greatest memory in recorded history to remember precisely what the exactly color tones and saturation of a 27 year old film was. This comes from Damin J Toell at HTF.

I spoke to Bill Lustig in person this evening. We discussed Halloween. He has not seen the new AB release. However, he told me that he was personally present for the color correction process of the 99 disc. So was Dean Cundey. Cundey was there for the entire color correction process, not merely some kind of post hoc signing off as has been suggested. Lustig says that the 99 disc represents the original color scheme. It's Lustig's opinion that Halloween ushered in the cliche of blue moonlight, and that to neutralize the nighttimes blues would be a big loss. AB could have easily made their new transfer match the 99 color scheme.
This post was in reference to the Divimax release. Lustig is extremely familiar with Halloween and how it looked. He also was involved in the making of that DVD and the documentary on the disc. Cundey, the director of photography for the film, was involved in the transfer and approved it.

So, here we have two of the most informed people where this film is concerned. One says the '99 DVD is the correct color scheme. The other, the DP on the film, approved the transfer.
Old 11-12-05, 09:02 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Stamina
If I'd have known you'd be loading this much horsehit, I'd have worn boots...
Old 11-12-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally I prefer the way I saw Halloween in 1978.
No offense, but I always laugh when I read about someone seeing a movie 30 years ago being able to do valid comparisons like this today to a DVD. Unless you have that actual film print playing in your house and doing actual A/B comparisons to the DVD, you have ZERO basis to make such an absurd statement.

Last edited by DavidH; 11-12-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I'm pleased to have both the 1999 Limited Edition for the Cundey-approved transfer, exclusive bonus material, and extended cut, and the 2003 Divimax release for the commentary and exclusive bonus material. Love the film, and wouldn't be without either.

--THX
Same here. I still prefer watching the 1999 edition, but I have watched both versions and consider them both must owns.
Old 11-12-05, 12:52 PM

I have both versions,since the 'divimax' version at least includes closed captions(my GFs deaf,so this is important). But I have to say that after comparing the two,the 1999 Cundey approved transfer is miles better than the 'divimax' transfer in terms of atmosphere,tone and the correct look for the time of the season it takes place.

Just because a film may look as bright,sharp,colorful and 'clean' as possible does not make it a 'better' transfer. This is the problem with many dvd buyers today,especially those with the fanciest,most expensive set ups. The mere hint of natural film grain or a 'soft' look and lack of extreme minute background detail drives them nuts.

This is one of the complaints I have seen about the 1999 transfer by those who love the 'new' transfer. They complain how 'murky and dark' the 1999 transfer is, with the 'excessive grain' and 'washed out colors'. I don't know what film they are viewing,or what the consider 'bad washed out and excessive'. Since the 1999 transfer looks beautiful in my opinion and like the film is meant to look.

The 'divimax' transfer on the other hand is too clean and bright and colorful for its own good. It looks unnaturally crisp compared to the Cundey transfer and sucks out all the attitude/atmosphere it had going for it.

A good comparison is when Laurie exits the house to walk across the street to see what is going on. In the 1999 transfer,it's beautifully errie blueish tinted and adds a menacing layer to the night time photography.

In the 'divimax' transfer. The blues are gone,and bland 'natural' colors are in its place. Sure the creepy music is still playing over the sequence. But it's not remotely menacing anymore and is far to bright and colorful for its own good.

So I just hope A.B. does rerelease the film sometime with the correct transfer and captions(& all the extras if possible). Then I can happily get rid of the 'divimax' version
Old 11-12-05, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by DavidH
No offense, but I always laugh when I read about someone seeing a movie 30 years ago being able to do valid comparisons like this today to a DVD. Unless you have that actual film print playing in your house and doing actual A/B comparisons to the DVD, you have ZERO basis to make such an absurd statement.
I do have access to an original '78 Halloween theatrical release through a friend who has run a small theater for many years. Long story short, he was sent 2 Halloween films during it's original theatrical run, and now owns a pristine print. I have seen it many times & just watched it again this Halloween. I have both the Divimax & the THX (2 disc) L.E. DVDs. The poster above who said there was not that much blue in '78 US theatrical film is absolutely correct. No question about it really. The Divimax is much, much closer to what the original really film looks like. I was just looking at the screen grabs of the door & Jamie Lee at the other door, and those deep blue or as the reviewer puts it: "Purple hues" in the THX DVD simply are not in the original '78 theatrical film.
Old 11-12-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks, but I'll trust Dean Cundey's memory of what the film originally looked like, not some random people's memories or their claims about what a 30-year film print looks like.

DJ
Old 11-12-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know who to believe on this one, but I personally prefer the 1999 version whether it matches the 78 theatrical print or not. The divimax version doesn't hide the fact it was filmed in the Summer which totally ruins the feel of October the 99 version gets so right.

I will have to go with the 1999 version on this one whether its correct or not. The fact people that close to the film side with the 1999 version leads me to believe they prefer it that way as well.