Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When are the Full-Screen DVD buyers going to start screaming they were swindled?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When are the Full-Screen DVD buyers going to start screaming they were swindled?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
And here is where the good thing happens. After class,the hot girl(who I never talked to before!)... We chatted as we walked towards her car. Then she said she'd see me next week...and I had to walk all the way across campus towards my car.

Julie, are you a guy with a really inappropriate username - or a lesbian? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Old 11-09-05, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kitkat
I agree completely! I'm constantly amazed at how many people honestly can't see the distortion when to me it's glaringly obvious. Because of this, I don't think the problem is going to be when they watch fullscreen movies - they won't care about that. The real issue is going to be when they start watching 2.35:1 movies on their new 16:9 sets and see black bars above and below the picture.In fact, it's already started!
I concur as well. The preferences of fullscreen viewers are visually oblivious, and unknowledgeable to perceived the beauty of widescreen original aspect ratios in motion picture cinematography.
Old 11-09-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BSpielbauer
Uh, I expect this will be about the same time that you finally realize that you were swindled on all of those open matte films, when you decided to buy the widescreen version of the DVD, and as a result you were duped into viewing a picture that was actually chopped off at the tops and bottoms (over what was viewed in the cinema).

In other words, never.

Give it a rest. Full screen DVD buyers were not swindled. Neither were you.

The real crime is always people who insist on trying to force-feed their own will upon others.

-Bruce

(Pssst... wanna buy my widescreen version of Citizen Kane? You know that it is better, 'cuz its got 'dem there bars at the top and bottom...)

No offense, but those open matte movies you're talking about were meant to be matted to fit the theater screen (i.e. widescreen). The purpose of filming open matte is so the "home video release" would not have be pan-and-scan, but they could simply remove the mattes that were in place in the theater for TV viewing. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_matte.

I purposely don't buy the "full screen" version (if possible) where the mattes were removed becuase:
  • It dramatically increases the potential for unexpected material such as boom microphones to appear in the home video version
  • It was intended to be viewed with the mattes in place anyway
  • If the DVD is anamorphic widescreen, then the extra space per frame that was used to store the matted image is used to increase the intended viewing area by as much as 33%! Big improvement on picture quality.
  • The widescreen version is native to the HD screen, the open matte/TV version is native to an SD TV screen.

This is the reason I wish Kubrick's movies would be released in proper anamorphic widescreen DVDs-- they would look much better on ED/HD equipment. If you have a projector or HD monitor, this will make all the difference in the world.
Old 11-09-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Julie, are you a guy with a really inappropriate username - or a lesbian? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

You really don't want to go there.
Old 11-09-05, 10:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The answer to all three questions is "Fried Green Tomatoes."
Old 11-09-05, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
Absolutely! A forum member's personal sexual orientation, and preference is strictly an irrelevance to this thread.
Old 11-09-05, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Irrelevant to the thread, yes, but irrelevant to Al_Tahoe as an individual, not necessarily.
Old 11-09-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry... didn't mean to offend. Personally, it doesn't matter. I just read the long thread that mentioned 'the hot girl' several times and then was surprised when I saw the username of the person that wrote it. Maybe I'm just a little slow
Old 11-09-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't listen to these folks, Julie is a hot girl himself.
Old 11-09-05, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Well I know it was meant as a humorous jab. Since yes 10 minutes would be '100%' of my speech,there for 5 minutes should equal '50%'. But in actuallity,I did cut out far more than 50% of the speech in the extremely limited time frame. So it felt like I had to skip 99% of the material. When if you want to get technical and anal retentive,was about 95% of the material at best.

So your speech had to be panned and scanned?
Old 11-09-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Absolutely! A forum member's personal sexual orientation, and preference is strictly an irrelevance to this thread.
I don't think he crossed a line. The same thought went through my head as well. This is a community. However, we happen to interact with one another via miles of wire. As such, we can't see each other face to face. I don't know about everybody else, but I have a whole list of assumptions about each and every poster here. It helps me, even if I'm incorrect, if I can put a face to the username. When a post potentially proves my assumptions to be incorrect, I get confused. I think the same thing happened here, and the poster asked for clarification's sake.

I'm 99.8% certain that his post wasn't meant to put anybody on the spot (though I know it potentially could). However, that natural curiosity, the wish to know who it is that we're conversing with, isn't anything that needs to be apologized off. In my opinion, that is.

-JP
Old 11-09-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by scottall
Don't listen to these folks, Julie is a hot girl himself.
Old 11-09-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Leslie Nielsen
Stacy Keach
Mandy Patinkin

Parents have a cruel sense of humor sometimes.